Sunday, March 9, 2008

Dexter Day Two

Just to set the record straight, of course I weighed 40 lbs. when I came home (what, do I look like, some little midget bullmastiff thing?). Granted I was 10 weeks old compared to Dexter who is only 8 1/2 weeks, but I don't think he'll be catching up anytime soon.

After Master got home from work last night, Momma said she was totally FRIED and NEEDED A DRINK! So we went made an emergency run to the liquor store in the mastiff mobile (sans Dexter cage, thank goodness) to get her some relief. I was just happy to be alone with Momma for a bit. In fact, when we got home, I suggested that we just spend the night out in the garage and leave Master to deal with Dexter. I guess I wasn't very convincing...

Momma slept on the couch so she could keep all her clothes on and hear if Dexter got restless and RUN outside with him because he has to pee about 500 times a day. Of course I have to go out every time he goes out (to supervise) which resulted in significantly reduced meditation time and I'm starting to feel the brain strain. I stayed close by Momma all night in case Dexter escaped from his cage.

Today is daylight savings time, something I do not approve of since it means the sun doesn't come up until about noontime and it disrupts my morning routine (if you think I'm going walkies in the dark, you are sorely mistaken, there are all kinds of deer and coyotes and SKUNKS walking around at night).

Mercifully, it stopped raining which meant we could enjoy some quality time in the big yard. Dexter tried to hide under my bowl to catch any kibble that fell his way (note my most large and intimidating shadow looming).


I scared him off so that I could enjoy my meal in peace (little pest).

He sure is a nosy little dude. He found my stash of fermenting kibble that I had carefully placed in a snowbank so that it would be aged just right in the spring. Dexter started snarfing it down even though it wasn't yet totally rotted (kid has no taste). Momma said oh no! the rotten kibble will make Dexter sick! and scooped it all up. Bummer! Note blue collar which is reflective because we found out last night that even with a flashlight, Dexter just disappears in the yard at night.

This chap has no manners. I was peacefully enjoying a stick in my big yard and he came right up and tried to take it from me! Like all in my face trying to take it right out of my mouth! The horror! I gave him an "AR AR AR!" and he took off like a shot, oh yes indeedy, making little baby puppy yips (yip, yip, yip, where's my momma). The big crybaby. Don't be taking Mango's stick!



I feel like a bloody babysitter because no sooner had he recovered (uh, forgotten about) my reprimand over the stick, he tried to tunnel his way out under the fence. Fortunately, I was on hand to thwart him. The problem is, that our fence was installed with a big gap underneath so that Master can use the weed whacker. No problem for a normal sized dog, but a little midget like Dexter can slip right under.

Momma and Master spent the better part of the morning putting chicken wire, wood, and whatever else was on hand under the fence to keep the little guy from going rabbit on us (but since they're both about 200 years old and kind of lazy, they didn't quite finish, so I will have to continue to be vigilant).


Dexter started pruning the blueberry bushes which I knew would get him into trouble, so I redirected his attention to examining the vegetable beds. I'm trying to encourage him to take an interest in gardening.


Dexter thinks he's quite the dandy and that he could be like some sort of labramodel, so he's been practicing his stack. Big deal. (I think it looks more like he's peeing).



OK, enough modelling, let's have some action! He seems to like this one. He rolls over on his back and I kind of blow raspberries on his belly while he bites me in the face.


Next up, a little traditional puppy cute bouncy action.
I don't engage in such silliness.

To insure that Dexter would take a proper nap, we played "chase the Master" for a bit (which actually just tires out the Master).

Phew, plenty action for Mango. I think its nap time! How about you, little labradude?



Never too early to learn how to meditate, little grasshopper.


Mango Man! Oh yeah!

21 comments:

Amber-Mae said...

Oh, hi Dexter!!!! Oh my he's sooo adorable & look, you like him already...You are very gentle with him Mango but just remember to not accidentally trample on him okay?

Love licks,
Solid Gold Dancer

Sophie Brador said...

Hey Mango, Your pup has a holy roller! I have one of those too. Maybe they're especially for labradudes. Yeah, that's right. I'm a dude.

Tell your peeps that if they squeeze a tennis ball through one of the holes, Dexter will be occupied for hours and hours and you'll have some great meditation time.

xo
SB

p.s. Montreal is pretty damn close to the North Pole, I think.

Mack said...

I can tell little Dexter really looks up to his big brother Mango!

Pee S: Paris says to give you "kisses". Whatever.....

The Zoo Crew said...

You're being such a good big Mango brother! Just wait, before you know it, he'll be meditating with you!

peace + paws,

Kai

Biggie-Z said...

Hi Mango. You're being so good. I fired my dog walker because I decided I wanted Mommy or P-Daddy to rush home every day to check on me instead. Everything is going according to plan!

I have a holy roller too. Mine is smaller because it used to be my Uncle Boo's, but it's just right to stick a hoof inside. Wow those are fun.

babyphat523 said...

OMG! Congratulations Mango! On your new baby brother Dexter! Dexter looks like he will have a ball growing up with a doting big brother!

Maggie & Mitch said...

Dexter is just adorable, Mango! Make sure you aren't too sharing with him or he'll take advantage of you!

Love ya lots,
Maggie

Scruffy & Lacie said...

Oh Mango..that pic of ur shadow looming up on little Dexter woulda made Alfred Hitchcock proud...it's pawsome.....

Have you sweetened his sour puppy smell with some sweet smellin' Mango SLOBBER??? That oughta start catchin' the little puppy girls...

Least you didn't get any of the ice and snow we did...ur mom would be over the edge..

You have blueberry bushes...??? We are so jelly. Do you get muffins with your own blueberries in em???

Lucky dog!
Scruffy

Sami said...

Dexter your being such the good brother and making sure he doesn't go under the fence. I think he my of just wanted your stick to get your attention but I know how you feel Sami tries to take my sticks all the time and then I have to chase her! When all I really want to do is lay down and chew my stick!

I remember mommy taking me out all hours to pee pee but I am so glad that is over. We had steps and she carried me down. Then she kept trying to get me to go down myself but nope not right away until one day she tricked me and put treats down the steps. That was so over since I can't resist a treat, if you know what I mean?

I am so glad I sleep through the night! Hopefully Dexter will soon and you and Mommy can get some rest!

Lovie Dovie,
Baylee

Lorenza said...

Hi, Mango!
I think Dexter is having great time with you, his big brother!
Be patient!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Joe Stains said...

good job in keeping the little dude in the yard. You are going to be a GREAT big brother! I can't believe you were 40 lbs at ten weeks! I only weigh 22lbs and I am nine YEARS old. I am jealous.

cookie said...

Wow Mango.
hope you tired out the little guy. Does he ever run out of steam? You have to teach him the rules.....and of course, who's boss.....that would be you, Mango Man, You handsom devil.

Cookie and crew

Penny & Poppy said...

Oh, Mango, we feel your pain! At least your new brother is small...ours is bigger than either of us! Our mom sympathizes with your mom. It's a good thing yesterday was Sunday since she had to pass right by a liquor store! Try not to squish the little labradude!

Aire-hugs,
Poppy, Penny & Pockets

wally said...

Wow, your paws are full, eh? I bet you could fit him in your mouth. And your belly. Not that I'm recommending it. You'd get in trouble. The best you can hope for is that he learns from your wise ways.

wally

Chef said...

Hi Mango...see? You're a good big brother already! I have a holy roller too. I'm going to ask Mama to put my tennis ball in it when she wants me to busy up...take good care of your little bro and have fun!

By the way, you've been tagged for the Whippet Challenge... see my last blog post.

Bye for now, Mangodude

xoxo Chef

Peanut said...

Glad your looking out for the little guy. Make sure you get enough meditation time and sleep though.

Agatha and Archie said...

Welcome Dexter!! Sorry you had to come in the middle of that stupid monsoon! ANd now it is 40 below 0 again.......Mango you are doing a great job....don't forget these kids have ALOT to learn so you are just the man for the job.PL2 is getting exhausted again thinking of a new puppy but then she thinks of that little puppy belly and puppy breathe and starts smiling...Love A+A(she better not have ANY thoughts....)

Kirby said...

Hi Mango,

You and Dexter are great together. You both are so cute and adorable!!I'm so happy you are both getting along so well. It's too bad he found your stash of outside food. Hopefully he didn't find all your gidden goodies. Keep up the great big brother work!

Your pal,
Kirby

Randi said...

Oh Mango! Youare the bestest big brother ever! (again, no pun intended...)

I bet you'll be able to teach that little labradude everything you want him to know!

Love & Licks,
Randi

Girl Girl Hamster said...

Dexter sure is a cutie. And you're such a good big brother to him Mango. Nice to see you look out for him and blow raspberry on his belly

~ Girl girl

Noah the Airedale said...

You two are just gorgeous together. Mango buddy...the gals made me write that...!!
Just don't step on him matie.

Hugs and tail wags
Noah Willow Tess & Lucy