Saturday, May 10, 2008

Awesome Nomination

Thanks to my pal, Sparky, for nominating me for the Awesome Blog of the Month on DWB. When I heard the news I was dumb struck!

I could tell you that its an honor just to be nominated, but, truth be told I WANT TO WIN! So vote for Mango! Nuff said!


It being spring and all (and the winter this year was verrry long) I thought I would take you on a garden tour of my estate. I don't know the names of most of the stuff since Master does all the landscaping and such, so bear with me (for those of you not interested in the horticulture, skip ahead).


This flowering dogwood was planted in honor of the matriarch of the family that lived here before us. As you can see, the flowers have "popped" since my previous photo.


This is our gigantic elm tree. Its very special to have an elm tree in Master Chew Sits because most of them were wiped out by the Dutch Elm Disease. Ours is so special that the elm people take care of it for us.I asked Master to pose so you can see how gigundo it is.



Under the elm is the shade garden since the sun doesn't get through the canopy. Its also got the feeding rock where momma puts foodies out for the crows so she can spy on them with the binoculars. Since the biggest rookery in Master Chew Sits is just a couple of miles away, we have tons o' crows.Master calls this a tree, but I'm not so sure.Here's some purple stuff and the path to nowhere. Master planted the front beds so that something is always in bloom throughout the summer.The Pi memorial bird bath.A brief digression... Pi went to take her forever nap before I showed up, but here are some photos of her. Apparently she used to catch and eat birds. That's right! She would lie very still and the birds must have thought she was a log or something and they would be all eatin worms and getting closer and closer... and she would pounce and eat them! Momma said it was not pretty.Pi was also a therapy dog and you can see her badge here. Her formal name was Maggie. There is also a shot of her at work in the lower left. Pi was the only doggie Momma and Master ever let on the furniture. Momma misses doing therapy, but Grandpa Angus was unsuited to it as he never really liked the kid humans, Raja was just too grouchy, and I don't do particularly well with surprises, so maybe pee-wee, who knows?


One of two rhododendron that Master rescued from a construction site he was working on. The other one was really healthy, so he put it in the backyard, but then Beautiful Raja ate it. This one he put out front and it lasted a few years, but apparently did not survive the winter. Ah the cycle of life.On to the baby fruit trees which are all just two years old because I ate their predecessors during my Addled Less Sense (and let me tell you, Master was pig biting mad).





First, the cherry trees.

Apple trees (they didn't have any apples last year because they are still babies).And finally plum trees.Blueberry bushes...I think I might have watered this one too much, cause its lookin kind of sorry.This being New England and all, we also grow rocks.Every year, we harvest the rocks and add them to this pile. But they always grow back.

OK, enough nature crap, time for the running of the errands. Momma decided to wear her Mango sweatshirt today.Steppin on in to the Mastiff Mobile.Ready! Let's go!First stop, Trader Joe's where they have tons of totally yummers foodies.I never get anything from there, but one can always hope...Next on the agenda, the library. No point even getting up...

At last!Car cookie! Car cookie!Yummers!Now what?Hey! What's that in the shopping bag?Bully stick PLEEEEESE!Sigh, it was not meant to be. Oh well, home at last.Meditation time.Mango Man! Oh yeah!

26 comments:

Scruffy, Lacie and Stanley's Place said...

Oh Woot...mumsie wanted to nominate ur last wheelie funny post...you are the so absolutely understatedly funny...we just howl.....we will go and vote for sure!!!!!

Um...glad some other canines eat the trees and bushes...Babystan has quite the appetite!!!

Perhaps Pee Wee will be ur therapy doggie..so far none of us even look like possiblilites...Our last foxy attacked an old man's cane in our grandma's retirement center....it was an ugly scene...the old man was really really and rightfully mad...and Sarge was furious...um...he had been teased a bit with crutches in his past...someone had scotch taped doggie biscuits to them...

Boy, Mumsie slunk outta there...

Scruffy

Mack said...

Wow, what a beautiful yard you have there on the Mango Estate. Ours is not quite so pretty!

Pi looks like such a pretty girl.
We really like her memorial.

Don't forget to give Mom extra Mango kisses since tomorrow is her day!

Willow the Black Dale said...

Wow Mango your Estate is beautiful! My moms favorite is the Dogwood. I haven't tasted a tree yet that I have like. However I do like the fence post!!

Yes I am ALL Black with some grizzle thrown in and a white patch. As you know Mango all of us Airedales thing we are special. My mawmie tells me that I am really special. I think she just likes the way I cuddle.

Nice meeting you. I look forward to your next adventure!

nose pokes,
Willow the Black Dale

Toffee said...

Mango!
It looks like you had an incredible day too! Your "kennel" is certainly very lush and luxurious. I love Trader joe's/Jose/Giuseppe too! We do not get to go there that often as there really isn't one that close to home.

I hope you have a happy mother's day tomorrow.
woof!
your pal,
toffee

The Zoo Crew said...

That's a great garden tour!! You can sure tell it's not the land of entrapment.....err, I mean enchantment! I didn't see any cactus or xeriscaping ;)

And that Mastiff Mobile looks eerily familiar. It's the exact same Mastiff Mobile that Judge (my EM cousin) and Zola (Boerboel cousin) have!!!

Kai

Lorenza said...

Hi, Mango!
Your yard is beautiful! I don't have one! Just a small patio without plants!
Sure you had a great Mango Saturday!
Congratulations on your nomination!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Maggie & Mitch said...

What a beautiful yard you have and the Elm tree is just magnificent! All the fruit trees sound like good eating to us! Enjoy your tulip cookie and bully stick!
Happy mother's day to your mom, Mango!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Biggie-Z said...

grrrrr! I had made a great big post and then the internet came along and ate it all. I did want to say you should be very careful about your landscaping abilities - you have very potent water!

My mom says I have addled less sense now, too. Whatever, I climbed half a mountain and played in 2 ponds yesterday, it was great. And my humans got a lot of exercise too.

Play-bows and sniffs,
Biggie

BenTheRotti said...

Oh my goodness, I will be voting for you for sure!!

Now either your master is ant-sized or that is one ginormous elm tree!!.. and car cookies!! yummylicious!! I'm so demanding some of those next time they throw me in the landrover!!!

Pi looks just beautiful, I'm sure your Mom and Dad must miss her a lot so send them a sloppy smoochie from me please.

Great to catch up big man.

Ben xxxxxx

Penny & Poppy said...

Your yard is really bootiful, Mango! That Elm is hoooooge! It's nice that the "Elm" people take care of it, for you! Have fun with your Bully Stick! Happy Mother's Day to your Mama!

Aire-hugs,
Poppy & Penny

Gus and Louie said...

We want to wish your mom a very Happy Mom's Day. Canine Mom's and human Mom's are very special people.. Be sure and give your Mom extra kisses on this very special day!!

Happy Mom's Day!!
Gus and Louie

Lola Smiles said...

Mango: you have such a purddddy yard! Lucky dude with all those trees! I can't get enough of them.

You're too cool bud.

luv ya
Lola Smile

Sophie Brador said...

Mango, Mom loves all your trees and stuff. Pi sounds like quite the beastie. You're quite the beastie too!

xo
SB

Kirby said...

Hi Mango,

Man, do I want a car cookie now. I'm totally drooling for one, don't know what I'll do. Woah, that was one huge bully stick, I've never had one that was quite that big. So yummy!
I love the Pi Memorial Bird Bath, it is a great way to remember a wonderful dog!

Your pal,
Kirby

Noah the Airedale said...

What a sensational tour of your garden Mango. Your dad sure puts a lot of work into it. Good idea posting about the yard, we might have to do one. Better be quick though before all the leaves fall off hee hee.

It would be great if Junior could become a therapy dog. Pi was a lovely looking dog.

What's with the rocks and New England...tell us, we love learning new things about other places.

Hugs and tail wags
Noah Willow Tess Lucy

Agatha and Archie said...

What a busy day!!! Of COURSE you have our vote!!!!!!! Your garden looks lovely,dont ya just love spring in Massachewsitts!! We waited long enoght for it!!!! Love A+A

Amber-Mae said...

Oh, I will definitely vote for my huge friend! You should have no problem winning for sure...That cookie looks scrumptious. Yum! Hope you had a pawtastic time & Happy Mother's Day to both your mommies!

Love licks,
Solid Gold Dancer

Girl Girl Hamster said...

Woh... Sparky sure is pawsome to nominate you. I hope you win Mango

~ Girl girl

Emma the Golden Girl said...

and the Canine Kids said,
Thanks Mango for the tour of your beautiful estate. You sure are lucky to have an elm tree. Our Mom and Dad are always talking about them and how we wish they were still around.
You sure had a great day too! Loved the cookie. It was bootiful!!
And, Congratulations on being nominated for such a great award!

Deetz said...

Hi Mango. My mum really enjoyed the scenery. She loves to plant, but she hasn't had time this year so far, and the weather has been horrible. She loves flowering bushes and iris flowers. She thinks your yard is really pretty.
Deetz
Congratulations on your nomination

Joe Stains said...

That tree really is huge, I'd like to see you posing next to it, you are probably just as tall!

Trader Joes has delicious peanut butter dog biscuits, whisper that in your human's ear next time you go!

Peanut said...

Oh you know plums are good. I love them but mom says they give me stinky gas. That is nice that people take care of your tree for you.

MJ's doghouse said...

oh my god MANGO MAN....that cookie makes my tongue hungry...and the pizzle...oh mango..you are one lucky stud. \i am going to vote for you a gazillion times...or one..however many times they let me...you will win my big man...you will win

Stanley said...

Mango!

You are already a therapy dog. My girl says you're better than any therapist could ever be. Even though she's missed her daily Mango fix lately, she will be sure not to from now on. Thanks for helping to keep our girl sane.

You lead a very full life. I can't imagine your peeps would even HAVE a life without you.

ENjoy your trees, but I'd cut back on watering them til they're bigger.

Goober love,
STanley

Pee Ess
NICE car cookie!

babyphat523 said...

What a lovely estate you have Mango! I'm just learning now, how bountiful rocks grow in New England!... Pi looked like a very sweet gal.

Also wanted to let you know that mum & dad started saying "yuppers" and "yummers" all the time because of you! You've helped expand their vocab!

xo :)
Chums

Nessa said...

Nanook does therapy work! It's awesome!