Sunday, July 6, 2008

Dexter has a Bad Boo-Boo

Momma just got back from taking pee-wee to the emergency room. Somehow, he hurt his little leggie and he was limping some last night, but this morning he wouldn't walk on it at all. The emergency room doctor thinks he might have damaged the ligament in his knee. He was sent home with pain medication and told if he doesn't improve in the next day or so that he will need to see the orthopedist and maybe even get splurgury. He's not allowed to play bitey face or take walkies for a while.





Momma and Master don't know how he did it because neither of them saw him fall and come up limping, but the way he tosses his small self around, he must have just landed the wrong way.










So I thought I would post some photos from yesterday when he was his old self. He spent some time playing his favorite game of getting chased with the hose water and becoming all wet. This is his bucking bronco move.Wheelie!Sometimes he just wants to get sprayed all over.And sometimes he can fly!Every now and then, I intervene to get a quick sip. Looks like squirt is practicing his pointer skills...This helps keep my jowls clean and fresh.My brother, Jake, came to visit and I was so excited that I... RAN to greet him!Jake had to wipe hisself off because I totally slimed him and pee-wee rubbed his soaking wet self all over him.Whilst junior finished drying off in the grass, I allowed Jake to rub my ear (which is kind of itchy because of those yeasts inside of it).I think Dex must feel more ouchie than he wants to let on because even though he can get around on three legs, he is mostly just meditating. I am targeting all my doggie zen directly at his boo-boo.


Mango Man! Oh yeah!

P.S. Here is what the vet wrote about Dexter. "Is is suspected that Dexter has injured his knee, sustaining either a partial or complete cranial cruciate rupture. Dexter should be exercise restriced for the next 2 weeks; no running jumping, playing, stairs." She forgot no bitey face. She also actually wrote on his discharge papers "Dexter is a very sweet dog." Yuh, I suppose.

29 comments:

Petey said...

Ah man, it sounds like Dexter pulled a Harlan. What is it with those goofy pups? We dignified dogs hardly ever get injured. Hope he's feeling better this morning and only twisted it a bit in his exuberance with the hose!

Your pal,

Petey

Sophie Brador said...

Mango, I sure hope he didn't tear his cruciate ligament. That hurts, although us labbies don't ever let on how much. I ran with my torn cruciate all the time and pretended I felt fabulous. I had TPLO surgery a couple of years ago and I am perfect now. Except for my shoulders, but that's another thing all together.

Paws crossed that Pee Wee just pulled a muscle.

xo
SB

Shmoo said...

Watch out Mango, that's how those little ones suck up all the attention. They hurt themselves and then everyone just falls over themselves to soothe the new gimpy dog.

Hope he feels better soon, for your sake, otherwise get use to lonliness.

Meeshka

Khyra The Siberian Husky said...

Ahhhhh, poor Dexter -

Paws khrossed woo didn't break him like Gus and Louie did to Khallie ;-)

Take khare of him - it will give woo a chance to work off some of those pounds the vet wants woo to lose!!!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Amber-Mae said...

Why are wee pups always like that? Why do they always have to jump around sooo much like monkeys & then sprain themselves??? Why can't they just behave like you. Like an adult! Just calm & looking all handsome all day...That little labradude needs some calming pills. Poor bugger! What could have caused him to limp? Hope his leg is not in serious condition. Keep us updated.

Butt wiggles,
Solid Gold Dancer

babyphat523 said...

Dex has puppy zoomies galore and some real Olympian moves there!
Heres hoping it's just a sprain and the meds help him feel like himself in no time.

xo :)

Deefor said...

Hi Mango
I hope Dexter is feeling better. Maybe he just needs rest and more treats. I tried to give him some advice for that problem.

Enjoy the peace and quiet and I'll keep my paws crossed for Dex.

Deefor

Snowball said...

Oh no... I hope Pee Wee get well soon. Do keep us posted on his recovery.

Luv
Snowball

River said...

Oh, no. And he looks so happy acting like a goof. Hope he'll be zooming around again real soon!

love & wags,
River

Who We Are: said...

We hope pee-wee feels better. Vet visits are expensive but they do make you feel better. You be nice to pee-wee today so he will get better fast!

Dozer and Cooper

Peanut said...

Oh we hope Dex gets better and doesn't need surgery.

Abby and Jack said...

Oh poor Dexter! We sure hope Pee wee gets better on his own and doesnt have to have surgery! Owy!You are looking as handsome as ever in your super cool new banner!

The OP Pack said...

Miss Khyra sends me to visit your blog all the time. Now that I have one too, I can leave a comment. Poor PeeWee, ouchies are no fun. And Mango, I know that if you need to lose some of your mango-ness, green beans work wonders.

Woo, Thunder

Willow the Black Dale said...

Oh this is terrible just terrible. Poor PeeWee!! I really hope it is not to serious! Prayers your way PeeWee!!

Mango I know you are a great nurse. I saw how great you were with Hector so I know you'll take good care of PeeWee!!

Prayers and Nose-pokes,
Willow

Agatha and Archie said...

Oh dear oh dear...OK tell your PL to call Dr Anne Crawshaw,Road to Health on Union Ave PL2 has the number and will email it to your Mom.That is who Archie sees.....We don't know it she can work for a torn knee but it sure is worth a shot....Poor little guy..Love A+A

Joe Stains said...

Oh no poor dexter!! I am sending so many healing vibes to Dexter I may pass out. But don't worry, I recharge quickly.

Mr. T-Bone Beasley said...

MANGO!!!

NOOOOO!!! Not Pee-Wee's knee!!! Okay that's it! I sent some ESP over to Noah's Grandpinky. But I've got a lit more stored up due to wearing a cone around my head. All I can do it sleep with this darn thing. Anyway...I'm sending some ESP to Dexter. If he jumps don't be concerned, it's just some Bease energy!

He'll be better in no time! Fret not!

Slurp!
Mr. T-Bone Beasley

Mack said...

Oh No Dexter! What did you do to hurt yourself?

I hope he will be get all better in the next couple of days so he doesn't have to go back to the vet.

Macky healing vibes coming right at ya Squirt!

The Zoo Crew said...

UGH!!! Sending good vibes to Dexter. My cruciate ligament is torn also but mom has been managing me with lots of supplements and restricted exercise. She's thinking about starting a RAW diet with me because she's read that's the best thing for injuries like this. I say.....bring it on.....I'll eat RAW anyday!

Zen

Winterdark said...

I had that same problem this winter. I slipped on the icey stairs. It could happen to anypuppy. Dexter, I'm thinking happy thoughts in your direction. Mango will take good care of you. -Bolo
http://peiinthelife.blogspot.com/

wally said...

Aw. Poor lil' guy. I hope the rest does him (and you) some good so he doesn't have to get surgamery.

wally

Toffee said...

Oh no!

I hope Dexter is feeling better by the time you read this comment!

Best wishes!

Lorenza said...

Hi, Mango!
Paws crossed for Dexter. I really hope he won't need a surgery!
Make sure he takes his meds and take care of him, ok?
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Saint Lover said...

Oh NO!!! Not the dreaded cruciate ligament rupture! Poor little baby. Tell him we send him hugs and kisses and hope he is better soon. Keep us posted.

PS that picture of Mango in the hose had me rolling in my chair... I love it.

Biggie-Z said...

Oh no Dexter! I hope the vet is WRONG about you and you just pulled something that has you up and feeling better soon. I'll play gentle virtual bitey-face with you.

Hugs,
Biggie

happy said...

Hope Dexter gets better soon.

Girl Girl Hamster said...

Oh dear, I hope Dexter is better now. He sure is a sweet doggie

~ Girl girl

Huskee Boy said...

Poor Dexter.. I hope he is well enough to play bitey-face soon. Sending over healing vibes..

Maggie & Mitch said...

OH NO! We feel so bad for Dexter! We hope he heals up just fine and doesn't have to have surgery! He's too cute for surgery!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch