Saturday, July 5, 2008

Fruit Failure and Trip to Vet

Momma was kind enough to allow me to sleep in this morning. She and pee-wee get up between 4:30 and 5:00 AM and are always like, OK, Mango, let's go, time to get up, and I am just not a morning kind of guy. What's the rush?

See stupid pee-wee lurking at the perimeter trying to wake me up?





So after a leisurely breakfast, I loaded into the mastiff mobile for my annual trip to the vet. Momma brought along some samples of my daily deposits to show off (can't figure why the humans are always so keen on examining my deposits - like the mystery of the universe will be revealed or something). Mercifully, there was no camera because many bad things happened. First up, I needed to get on the scale. I hate the scale!!! So I make myself all stiff and immobile when I see it. Master and the vet wrestled me onto the scale in a most undignified manner and I weighed 235 pounds. That's about 20 pounds more than a year ago and the vet said there was a bit too much Mango (here is Momma pinching me to show off my extra Mango-ness).



Then they had to take blood, but because my leggies are so muscular, she had trouble getting in the needle and had to use a turn it kit. I didn't really like that because it made my leggie feel funny.

Then she said I had yeast in my ears and I'm not sure what that means (maybe I can bake bread in my ears), but it gives momma an excuse to torture me by doing a daily ear flush. I was also told that some of my toothies were chipped and my gums are a bit inflamed from eating too many sticks. Finally, she stuck me with a needle for the distemper and I was allowed to go home.

Lacie informed me of some faux Mango festival going on. I have to say I am getting sick and tired of my name being used to suck people in to things that have nothing to do with me. I am contacting my lawyer right away! This is my mad face.

It being the 4th of July and all, the cherry trees were ready to be harvested and Master brought in a big bucket full of cherries.

Since the cherry trees are babies, this is the first year that they have had enough fruit that Momma and Master couldn't just eat it. Momma being all experienced with making pickles and jam decided that she would do something with them. First she had to pit them which isn't all that hard, but really boring.Then she went online and found a recipe for cherry cobbler. Sounded good, but it came out all ooey gooey and only marginally edible.So next she decided to salvage the rest by making cherry jam. After all, last year's plum jam came out great, how hard could it be? But the cherry mush refused to jell up. Momma got all frustrated and put it in jars anyway, so we'll see what she created in a few days.You'd think with all that time spent in the kitchen there would have been something edible produced.Mango Man! Oh yeah!

17 comments:

Biggie-Z said...

Oh Mango, I love to sleep in too. Luckily when we are in Brrr Mont my people sleep in (at least in the summer they do) and I get to rest up too. In the winter they are up all early but at least there is snow.

P.S. All that cherry stuff looks pretty tasty. My Mom has been making strawberry rhubarb goo and calling it pie. I like the little local strawberries.

Mack said...

I think all those fruit treatsies look mighty delish. Did you ever get a sample?

Sorry to hear you have yeasties. Sissy Paris had them not too long ago.

The vet gave mom a "recipe" for preventing the yeast monsters from coming back (Once they have all gone away):
1 part vinegar to 1 part alcohol in both ears and use once a week or so (just be sure the ears aren't red cause the alcohol will make you SCREAM!)

Peanut said...

what a waste of good cherries. Why didn't she just let you eat them?

Khyra The Siberian Husky said...

Rut-roh!

Green bean time for Mango Man!!

My mom was lazy this year with our cherry tree - she let the neighbors, my aunt & unkhle, and the birds have the cherries -

Hope your yeasties go away soon -

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Sophie Brador said...

Mango, Your vet trip sounds absolutely horrific. I've had my deposits tested twice lately -- one went in for "advance" testing, which I am taking as a compliment.

Aside from all that, your leg is looking awfully sexy in that last pic.

xo
SB

Maggie & Mitch said...

We get up at 4AM every morning and we love it! It's the best part of the day, Mango!
We think those cherrie recipes should both be served over ICE CREAM!!!! OOPS! That's right - you need to lose! Sorry, Mango!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Joe Stains said...

Holy CRAP you weigh more than my car I think!! ;) But really dude, that is relentlessly huge for SURE!

Toffee said...

Neither myself nor my mother are "morning" types either although we keep getting awakened by pesky CATS whining about wanting breakfast EVERY day at 6:30...ugh!

hope you had a good 4th

River said...

Wow, you are worth, uh, ALL the beagles in our house as far as poundage! (given some weigh 30lbs and some 15 lbs--9 beagles). I had everyone come look at you and we all agree you are mighty handsome and your coat fits you perfectly.

Keep trying with the cherries! Even the failures look plenty good enough to eat!

love & wags,
River

Lorenza said...

Hi, Mango!
Sounds like your trip to the Vet was not a happy one!
Are you going to be on a diet??
My mom loves cherries but she can't find them here often and when you find them they are very expensive!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Deefor said...

That trip to the vet sounds awful. Why don't they leave us alone? I'd like to stick my vet with a needle next time. And put her on a diet! Too bad you couldn't just eat those cherries.

Deefor

Sami & Baylee said...

Mango,

I am a morning doggie cause you get to sniffie the good sniffies in the morning! Sami is not a morning person and gives a grumpy,rrrr when she has to get up to early. Did you get some cherry cobbler? It looks yummy! My mommy loves cherry cobbler...
Love dovie baylee

babyphat523 said...

Aw Mango, Chums gets up with the roosters as well, us humans prefer to sleep until at least 7, but no such luck. The fruit stuf looked yummers to me, I hope you got a taste!
xoxo :)

Petey said...

Mango Man! I couldn't believe you gained 20 pounds in a year—that's 80% of me. I had to go on a diet when I went to the vet, too. But only to lose 2 pounds. Maybe it's all relative. I guess my 2/3 cup of food a day equals your 15 pounds in a week...

Your pal,

Petey

wally said...

I don't think you have any weight to lose there, bud. Added together all of us at our house weigh less than you. And my ma ape says she dreams of having a dog your size. I guess we aren't enough for her. Ha-rumph.

wally.

Saint Lover said...

Oh no.. sounds like you are going to have to go to weight watchers just like Nanook. Maybe she can be your buddy.. you know the one you call when you get a craving for raiding the trash bin..

We battle those yeast monsters with Apollo too.. its so hard.

Good luck getting the weight off.

Charlie Daniels said...

Thanks Mango. You've just given me the ammunition to convice My Bi-Peds that maybe my dad wasn't an elephant after all! ;-)

Cheers

Charlie