Friday, February 13, 2009

Mango Minster Day Five

Working Group Judging day is dedicated to my Beautiful Raja (shown here with me when I was a teenager) who crossed over the Rainbow Bridge three years ago.



















IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT!

Murphy Dogg is donating some of his mom's Hardcore Cookies to our lucky Best in Show Winner! Thanks Murphy Mom! Visit her store here.


The Terriers were nowhere to be seen during the Working Group competition (just a little too much DOG for you guys, huh), but my faithful photographer followed them on their field trip to...

Terrier Runway - It seems those rascals got confused as Fashion Week is just starting up in New York, and went to Bryant Park to promenade along the catwalk instead of in the dog show ring. You know how those terriers love their fashions! Not to mention the more wirey among the group prepared for the showing by STRIPPING! Shameless.






Photo by Petey



At least they didn't clog up MY show ring with their dumb fashion show.










Working Group Reader's Choice Award
The voting was REALLY close on our Reader's Choice today. Such a fine group of working doggies! For Reader's Choice, we have another tie!



Waldo!










and Zim!

A couple of fine chaps if I say so myself. Both very hard workers. Good job guys and good job to all our fine Working Group Count Test Ants.











Working Group Judging
Judge Bolo was clear that there will be NO TERRIER INTERRUPTIONS allowed during the Working group competition. Now there's something you don't see every day.
Message received! Judge Bolo, may we have your decisions.

BOLO SPEAKS!
To all the Working Group Contestants, holy dog you made it hard for me! I know you all work so very hard and I wish I could have picked all of you, but I really had to narrow it down.












Special Awards of Merit
I have to give out two Honourable Mentions. One goes to Cap’n Maverick, for being piratey, my Dad is very piratey and you just got bonus points for being that cool.


Mango: From this photo it appears that Maverick might have worked on the Love Boat prior to becoming a pirate. Arrrrrr! Thar be fair maidens, eh Maverick?



The second Award of Merit goes to Biggie, he took a BATH for this! That’s impressive, I feel for him. I think he should hire himself out as security for the rest of the show. I could have used him at PetSmart yesterday, I got accosted by some groupies wanting to influence my vote. It didn’t happen, Mom kept them away, but Biggie’s presence would have been nice.Mango: Since Biggie lives in NYC, he likes to add a little bling to his look when he goes out.













2nd Runner Up
2nd runner up goes to Summi. He worked so hard he got dirty! He must have done a bang up job, and he probably got a BATH too. Poor guy.












Mango: Summi was backstage when his award was announced. I caught him perusing the personal ads, not sure if it was for a snack or a companion.








1st Runner Up runner up goes to Maika and Dahkota













Mango: Bolo had little to say about his 1st runner up choice. I suspect he became temporarily dumbstruck in horror that two such dignified Working doggies could be such total, I have to be honest, DOOFUS'S (maybe we'll see them in the Non-Sporty group next year).














Best in Group - Working
Best in Group goes to Waldo who I heard won his fair share of cupcakes recently. I didn’t get any, did anyone else?












Mango: If you missed Waldo's adventures in cupcakes, you can visit his bloggy. Waldo told me that he did not actually consume the cupcakes himself, but used them for the clicker training he is doing with his daddy. He has found that peoples learn faster if you are able to click and reward. In this photo he is trying to teach Daddy how to shake hands, but from Waldo's expression, its not going well.

Special note from Judge Bolo






Mango, next year, can we have more runners up or more awards? I really wanted to hand out more. I mean, ZIm discovered an OCEAN – that’s just WAY cool. And Madison works at her Mom’s store, that’s cool too. And Kira has a boat she navigates. And Daisy is the Kong Queen, you didn’t have a Kong Queen Category. Hmm? What? What do you mean I should cut it short? Uncle Brett is here? Sorry Mango, Uncle Brett is here I’ve got to go!

















Thank you Judge Bolo


















And now, our last group.... the Terriers! Let me just quote the AKC regarding this group (red letters are mine).

"These are feisty,energetic dogs whose sizes range from fairly small, as in the Norfolk, Cairn or West Highland White Terrier, to the grand Airedale Terrier. Terriers typically have little tolerance for other animals, including other dogs. Their ancestors were bred to hunt and kill vermin. Many continue to project the attitude that they're always eager for a spirited argument. Most terriers have wiry coats that require special grooming known as stripping in order to maintain a characteristic appearance. In general, they make engaging pets, but require owners with the determination to match their dogs' lively characters."

I think "lively characters" means crazy jumping about maniacs!



So, here goes...
Terrier Reader's choice polls close at 5PM EST on Saturday, February 14th.

Watch out! The Terriers are in the ring!












BabyStan Airedale










I am happy to see so many Dales at Mango Minster. I love Dales! My Grandpa Angus was a Dale! The Airedale is the king of the terriers in both size and lineage. Sporty, but never silly. Understated in their choice of apparel.



GooberStan Airedale






Stan is from the Republic of GooberStan. Its nowhere near Pakistan, Uzbekistan, or Afghanistan, but it's the land of the Stanley - one Gobber of an Airedale. No passport required.










Maggie Airedale









Can you tell she spends just hours every morning grooming her beard?



Mitch Airedale










Mitch's beard is the envy of many of his Dale friends. He owes it mostly to eating apples every day and a bit to generous application of O'Drools.



Noah Airedale










If you think you see something similar in the next three photos, you are not mistaken. Noah and his harem of gals were forced to pose on this most unpleasant table for Mango Minster. I suppose the fan was to create a windswept effect, but his peoples forgot the blue screen to project the tranquil ocean scene upon.




Tess Airedale










I LOVE Airedales from the UK and Australia because they don't get their tails clipped. Rather, they sport the full and glorious Airedale banana tail. Did you know that even though Airedales are best known as ratters, they have also been used for bear hunting.



Willow Airedale










Australian Airedales eat strange foodables such as hoki fillets and rashers of bacon. I also hear they eat camels.




Lacie Beast










See? I knew it! What did I say? NO SWIMSUIT COMPETITION! But does the Beast listen? She does not. The Lacie Beast is a one of a kind. She is wanted in 27 states for such offenses as stalking, illegal furmination, and general mayhem. I don't know what I was thinking when I agreed to let her judge the hounds. I hope nobody got hurt.



Darla Jean Bull Terrier










Bull Terriers are either white or brindle (like Darla Jean). Some people insist that there is a greater difference between the disposition of the guy and gal in this breed than in any other. Well, you wouldn't see a guy staring at hisself in the mirror like that, I can tell you.



Feather Bull Terrier










Bull Terriers have eggheads and some people love the look, whilst others appear to detest it. That seems to be true of the breed in general - no one just likes a Bull Terrier, they either hate or adore him.



Pappy Bull Terrier










Bull Terriers are easy to care for and their coats come clean with just a quick wash and dry (gentle cycle only, please).



Petey Cairn Terrier










Doesn't Petey look fantastic? I will let you in on a little secret. He used Mango Suds for coat conditioning prior to this photo and, well, you can see the results. Petey lives in NYC and gets to visit Asta all the time (lucky little chap).



Lucy Irish-Aire










Lucy is amazing. I have to tell you that there was a possum on the ROOF of her shed and her dad carried her UP A LADDER and put her on the ROOF and she ran around and chased the possum and then jumped off the roof herself like some sort of flying maniac. Its all true. You can read it on her bloggy (see her post from 01/19/09 if you don't believe me).



Poopie du Claun Jack-Tzu










Sigh, Poopie du Claun is another victim of living with a bloggy hog. Little can be known about this elusive Jack-Tzu as it appears there is some Aki Koykoy KurKuKoy doggie always using the pooter.



Stella Lakeland Terrier










Cute, huh? I don't think so. Stella eats like a trucker and belches in a most unladylike fashion. She is also prone to attacks of yappy sounds that could break glass.




Arrow Silky Terrier










The Silky Terrier can be an exhausting little creature with his endless demands for attention and action. He is quite vocal and could be considered something of a perpetual motion machine.


Asta Wire Fox Terrier










Not you too Asta? Asta is normally quite a lady, but I fear the Lacie Beast can be a bad influence on her.


Scruffy Wire Fox Terrier










And you wonder why I think Westminster is rigged. The WFT is the winningest doggie? WTF?



Rusty Yorkshire Terrier










Here is Rusty's Haiku
Rusty chases squirrels / All around the yard, so fun / Never catch; he pouts

Come back tomorrow night for the exciting judging results and our entire Best in Show line-up.
Reader's Polls close at 5PM EST on Saturday, February 14th. One vote per doggie, PLEASE.

52 comments:

Mango the Maltese kiddo said...

I vote for Asta.
1 vote only? Tsk! Tsk!
Happy Valentine Mango.
Hope your Valentines Day is filled with extra kisses, treats, hugs & belly rubs!

Suzuki said...

I vote for... RUSTY!
Big licks to you
Suzuki
xxx

Nibbles Treats said...

We're going to vote for Petey. It takes a big guy to represent Cairn Terriers everywhere (plus our late Aunt Sugar was a Cairn). Go Petey!!!

Tinkerbell, Oscar and Tucker

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

Oh Pappy is adorable..

Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

Lady Kaos said...

I'm going ot vote for Maggie!
Kaos

Dannan and The Girl said...

We have to vote for ASTA! We wuff her so much! (Mitch, if we could vote twice, we'd vote for you because I can't get enough apples, either!)

Petey said...

(Wearing a mustache and big black glasses and speaking in a French accent so no one knows he's voting for himself...)

Me and the cat vote for PETEY as the Cairns got totally ripped off this year at the other dog show!

Sincerely,

Pierre and Mica

Niamh said...

I vote for my friend Maggie. She is lovely and so much more dignified than some terriers we know.

Your friend,
Niamh

Joey said...

Hi Mango! That's so nice that you dedicated Working Group judging day to Beautiful Raja. What a beautiful doggie he was. In this group, I'm going to vote for Maggie, and Zeke says he wants to vote for Mitch. This sure is exciting!

See ya!
Joey

Noah the Airedale said...

Would ya look at how they made us pose. Stupid pinkies. The fan wasn't even on.....sigh.

Noah

Pamela, Kira and Scampi said...

Kira votes for Rusty, because he is so cute.
Scampi votes for Poopie de Claun, because he understands....

Winterdark said...

My house votes for Darla Jean, we like her nose. Although, Pappy has a nice nose too, so dose Feather......
Bolo

Scruffy, Lacie and Stanley's Place said...

Seriously, Mango...look at this lineup!!!! And you wonder how in the world WE WIN SO MUCH???!! These pix are the epitome of personality...

So, that's how we're judgin' here for Reader's Choice.

Since my personality can be a little um...difficult I AM NOT GOING TO VOTE FOR MYSELF. NOPPERS...

OK...here we go...

I vote for Asta cuz she's the nicest sweetest doggie on earth who would give ya the fur off her back even if it were 15 below zero....Asta has grace and dignity.

Babystan votes for Gooberstan...actually, judgin' on that pic alone, we all should vote for him. I mean look at those eyes...that face. I try not to be influenced by a tongue.

Scruffy votes for the doggie in the dryer. I mean he's in the dryer. And he's a terrier. Our last foxy loved the dryer...this is a trait in terriers that exemplifies the fact they are puppies till the day they go to the bridge...not a bad thing, Mango.

Barkies!!! Terriers rule!!!!!

Laciegirl

chasingsquirrelswithrusty said...

Riley and I both shamelessly vote for ME, Rusty. :)

This is a lot of fun!

Barklove,
Rusty

Deefor said...

Hi
A terriorist Valentine's Day! How scary! I vote for Gooberstan. Arrow votes for Petey. We both vote for Asta and Rusty. Oh. Sorry. I forgot only one vote. OK. Stan and Petey. (That's a great description of Arrow. LOL.)

Deefor

Heather and Pumpkin said...

Hi,

Lacie Beast is our pick because of the pink bikini!

xoxo
Pumpkin

Abby said...

Hi, Mango...

This is the hardest one yet...I wouldn't want to be the judge in this one...

I've thought & thought & consulted with Rosco & my Mom & even Tigger a little...

We're gonna go with Asta...She is sooo sweet & such a good friend to everyone...

But I gotta say...We almost didn't vote at all...It was that hard...

Good Luck Everydoggie...

Abby xxxooo

Murphy Dogg said...

Gooberstan is the man! He's big & burly and got a tongue like Gene Simmons!

the professionals said...

how can you decide between maggie and mitch!!! our vote will go to maggie but mitch that means you get extra apples ok!

Dughallmor Beagles said...

Well done Waldo buddy! Good luck for BIS!

Ok, one vote per dog? Here goes:
Snoop votes for Maggie
Alfie votes for Willow
Rosie votes for Petey
Gabbi votes for Mitch

Good luck guys n gals....and a Happy Valentines Day to you all!
Slobbers xx

tnbullterrors said...

Ok, we have refrained from using 3 votes since there are 3 of us, but tonight, we just hafta use all 3.
Feather votes for Darla Jean,
Pappy votes for Feather and
Darla votes for Pappy.
Yep, we're shameless, we're eggheads AND we're terrOrs, but we didn't vote for ourselves. ^..^
Feather, Darla & Pappy

Peanut said...

No way we can't vote. Can't pick one No way no how

with love, Madison said...

Madison would like to vote for Asta. She wants to be Asta when she grows up. I am thinking that it can happen, although she will never have as svelte a figure ... think more like brew-house frau. :(

Lorenza said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amber and Nala said...

OMD.....I can't choose! I like Maggie, Mitch, Lacie, & Rusty, and Pappy!!! Well, I like them all...my, is this hard! :)

Nala

Lorenza said...

Hi, Mango!
What happened to my comment???
My vote is for Petey!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Scruffy, Lacie and Stanley's Place said...

Can we vote again???? Guess not...can't blame a girl for tryin'....

Laciegirl

Joe Stains said...

Well, I adore Petey and Asta and Stella and so many others. BUT I also adore MY LIFE so I am voting for Lacie.

Stella said...

Mom votes for Lucy Irish-Aire
Stella votes for Darla Jean Bull- Terrier
Ali Z votes for Pappy Bull Terrier because she thinks a dryer is a good place for a dog to be.

Kisses,
Stella

diane said...

Hmmm. Only one vote per doggie? So, as a human, I can vote as often as I like?

Okay, that's not really fair, so I would like to vote for Lucy...from one Irish girl to another :)

Good luck in the best in show judging MangoMan!

Ike said...

Gooberstan!
Ike

Snowball said...

Happy Valentine's Day!

Luv
Snowball

Stanley said...

Hey, Mango Man!

I'm going to keep this quick & dirty.
I vote for my sweetpea, Asta!
Stella votes for Darla Jean!

Goob love,
Stanley

Asta said...

I vote fow my SigghhhhhhStanley
All this is making me feel faint..all my fwiends awe in this catewgowy..how can you make us choose
smoochie kisses
ASTA

Martha Basset said...

We dont really know many dogs in this category so just want to wish you all a Happy Valentine's Day.
You have done such a lot of work running this contest you will now need to go for a holiday!
love
Martha & Bailey xx

Maggie and Mitch said...

Mitch and I worked out a deal - I vote for Mitch and Mitch votes for Maggie! hehehehe

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Tom and Tama-Chan said...

We vote for PETEY!

Tom and Tama-Chan

Scruffy, Lacie and Stanley's Place said...

Hi...I'm a flea who lives on Scruffy's back. Am I allowed to vote? Frankly, I vote for Asta...she's totally HOT!!!!!

Scruffy's flea

Samantha: said...

I've looked long hard and they are all great (and fierce - totally scared by them) doggies! I have to vote for Asta!

Sydie said...

Hullo,
Beese Sydie. I wanta vote fer Pappy an' Feather cuz dey beese BRILLIANT.

Tanks berry muchness,
Sydie

The Army of Four said...

Congratulations to Waldo!!!!!!!
This was a hard decision...... but that picture of her is just way too cute. I'm casting the Ao4's vote for Maggie!
Play bows,
Zim

Amber-Mae said...

Oh, this absolutely hard to choose but the Terriers are going string! Tuff competition man. I am voting for Biggie!!!!

Happy Valentine's Day!

Stuffed from eating a BIG feast,
Solid Gold Dancer

daisydog said...

We vote for Rusty! Since we are all part of the famous squirrel patrol.

AppleDebbie said...

I vote for Maggie and my Grandpa Ollie votes for Mitch!

Happy Valentine's Day!
Trooper

nl1990 said...

ok how about...I vote for Stanley, Bob(the)Cat votes for Pappy, crotchety Mishu votes for Feather, Angie GSD votes for Petey and Jack & Boyd the birds vote for Scruffy

nancy

Scruffy, Lacie and Stanley's Place said...

Is it 5pm yet??? Come on Mango...can't you post earlier? We wanna know who wins!!!!!!!!!!

Lacie

Pee ess...did Scruffy really send one of his fleas to vote? That boy is cleverer than I woulda thought.

tnbullterrors said...

We think Scruffy has been hangin out with Lacie for WAY too long, now he's trying to cheat! Sending a flea over to vote! Sheesh!

Asta said...

CAn I vote fow evewybody???
I hate this one vote thing
smoochie indecisive kisses
ASTA

Lacy said...

w00f's Mango, hmmm me iz cuttin time short...wish we had 5 doggies here, but we not...

rocky votes fur Petey
bear votes fur stella
angel lacylulu votes fur her sweet girlie asta..

this wuz a tuffie..

b safe,
~rocky~

River said...

I vote for Noah. He's a cool guy.

love & wags,
River

Quinvale AstaLaVista Baby said...

G’day Mango,

That's a Pawtastic Dog Show you put on!

It's such a hawd choice, but I have to vote fow my Twinny, Asta up over.

I hope you'll come by and sign my Guestbook.

Happy Valetines Day

xxx Asta (Oz)

Sophie Brador said...

There's just no way I can choose. I want to vote for Stanley and Petey and Asta; and how could I not vote for Stella, the most recent graduate of the Sophie Brador International School of Divaness?

I have to give myself a pardon in this round, or at least a pat on the back. No, wait, I don't really like to be patted.

Oh, and Mango, next time you visit my blog, don't bring Dexter. I don't want to give that pup any bright ideas.

xo
SB