Sunday, February 8, 2009

Mango Minster Preliminary Viewings

The entry clock has expired as of noon EST today. No more entries please.
Reader's choice polls close at 5PM EST on Monday, February 9th.


Before I say anything else, I need to tell you that I am getting a little punch drunk from all this. I mean, there are like 10,972 entries [Momma - Only 110 actually]. Yuh, whatever.

Sooooo, if I have messed up anybody's show photo or breed or linky, just let me know and I will fixit spit spot.





Alright! This is it! The first ever Mango Minster!!!!

Thanks to all my doggie Count Test Ants for making this a very exciting event.

Don't forget to check my bloggy every day and vote for Reader's Choice in each group (one vote per household). Leave a comment on the bloggy with the entrants with your vote. And of course you can vote for yourself. What, you think Obama voted for McCain?

Today you will have to vote for one Toy Doggie and one Sporty Doggie.

Special announcement!
My new friend, Kira, is donating one of her mom's cool doggie sculptures to our Best of Show winner! Thanks Kira mom! You can check out her work at this bloggy.

As the voice of Mango Minster, I will be providing breed descriptions to help you with your at home judging. All comments are based on my large and personal experience or actual breed information from the entrants and / or their siblings.

OK, The Mango is ready, let the games begin!

May we have the Toy Group in the ring please?



Cissy

Chihuahua
Graceful, alert and swift-moving with a saucy expression, Chihuahuas are highly intelligent and should not be underestimated even though small in size. They can sometimes also be bossy, bratty, and sassy and the Queen of Everything (hey, I don't make this stuff up).


Ginger

Chipuxie
A remarkable combination of Chihuahua, pug, and dachshund (so having three parents isn't remarkable enough)? The feisty Chipuxie can be seen touring with Cirque de Soul Hey as part of the acrobatic corp.


Bae Bae

Hamsterrier
Don't let their small size fool you. Hamsterriers earn the toy title due to size, but they are all terrier, prone to climbing impossible heights and chewing stuff up. Watch out! These little scamps like to play hide and seek every Friday.


Pumpkin

Japanese Chin
The Japanese Chin exists primarily to serve as a companion. As such, he is responsive and affectionate with those he knows, but reserved with strangers and new situations. And their tongues blow in the breeze, cool, huh?


Abby

Lhasa Apso
Lhasa Apsos originally guarded the homes of Tibetan nobility. I'm not really sure what that entailed, but I suppose if you had about 438 of them it would be a little scary. Today's Lhasa is wonderful little pal, but regular grooming is a must.


Huskee

Malt-Tzu
Easy going and best known for their ability to put up with annoying brothers. These little guys are also easy to groom and will sit quietly for nail clipping provided it is accompanied by about five pounds of baked ham.


Tucker

Pekingese
The Pekingese is the winningest toy dog at that other doggie show which we will not mention. A combination of regal dignity, intelligence and self-importance make for a good natured, opinionated and affectionate companion to those who have earned its respect.


Honey

PomerCorg
I'm not quite sure to make of this particular breed. The name implies possibly part Pomeranian and part Corgi, but don't both of those kinds of doggies have, like, actual bodies?


Boo Boo

Pug
We have several Pugs entered and I must say I like the little dudes. I have always thought of them as mini-mastiffs. The AKC even describes them as having "great charm [and] dignity." Like me, right?


Sophie

Pug
Of course, there is the issue of extra facial skin which can lead to some rather peculiar expressions.


Clover

Pug
Our final Pug and final entry in the Toy Group!




And now, may we have the Sporting Group in the ring please?

Sophie

ChessieLab
ChessieLabs are VERY BAD DOGGIES who try to use their personal relationships with some particular judges to totally win Mango Minster. Shame! Shame! Here is Sophie in the proper group of Sporty doggies.

Paris Rain

Cockermess
Don't ever confuse the Cokermess with the Cocker Spaniel doggie (of which my nephew Misha is a fine example). These little divas are actually quite unladylike and rude.


Tom

English Springer Spaniel
If you are looking for a real pal, you've found it because these guys just love everybody. They make great kitty sitters and will willingly rid your yard of unwanted sticks.


Bond

Golden Retriever
The most popular Sporty Doggie at Mango Minster! You can take them anywhere for walkies, even places with scary screaming ladies who get all bothered by a little pee (oh for goodness sake).


Cody

Golden Retriever
Golden Retriever doggies are also very good nannys and tolerate annoying shark like puppies very well.


Gus

Golden Retriever
Watch out! They do like to get wet and then require the blow dry.


Joey

Golden Retriever
With his friendly temperament and striking golden color, this breed is both beautiful to look at and a joy to own.


Joyce

Golden Retriever
Like any puppy, a baby Golden is cute and all, but full of little shark teeth and mischief.


Mason Dixie

Golden Retriever
Proper grooming is essential. A Golden knows when she looks good and is great at accesorizing.


Samantha

Golden Retriever
Oh yeah, did I mention that the gals are like totally blond? Hot cha cha!



Niamh

Gordon Setter
Gorden Setters are also field doggies whose bearing is intelligent, noble, and dignified.


Marvin

LabraCollie
LabraCollies are real outdoor dudes. Snow, ice, rain, no problem. Caution, these guys have issues with disposable gloves so hopefully before you get one, you will make sure all your gloves have a lifetime guarentee.


Moose

Labradog
I know what you are going to say, "Mango Man, what is the difference between a Labradog and a Labrador?" I will tell you. Labradogs are like totally bionic, sporting actual metal parts in their leggies (yuh, I kid you not).


Aki

Labrador Retriever
So the Labrador Retriever is like the most popular doggie in the US. They come in three colors (but not all at once). They are really smart and cute and rugged and like everybody.


Lady Kaos

Labrador Retriever
Of course they will eat just about anything, including "air treats"


Dexter

Labradork
Do not confuse the Labradork with the more amiable Labrador Retriever. Labradorks are best known for obbessive humping of stuffies that clearly do not belong to them and routinely rolling off the couch in their sleep making annoying thumping sounds which disturb one's meditations.


Trophy

Labramix
Shaken, not stirred...


Charlie

Sport Pug
The Sport Pug is a sort of special edition pug doggie that has bizarre levitation skills.


Foley

Springer Spaniel
Expert housekeepers, these guys will make your bed and make sure that it stays flat by putting theirselves squarely upon it for meditation. They also appear capable of sleeping in the snow.


Suzuki

StaffyTerry
What the?

Alright! That concludes the Sporty group. Tomorrow the winners of the toy and sporty groups will be announced along with a preview of the hounds.

75 comments:

Coco said...

How do i enter???!!! Weighing in at 3.75 pounds i defanitley qualify for the toy group!

Tail wiggles & Puppy Kisses,

Coco - The Princess

Allison (Dog Mom) said...

Waldo iz in charrge of voting today, and he votes fur hiz big brudder, GUS in the Sporting groop!

He also wants to vote fur Huskee in da Toy groop!

Moco said...

All of these pups deserve to win. They are all heads and tails above that other dog show. Mango Man is so clever to have come up with this wonderful idea.
Toy group: Huskee (our long suffering friend that puts up with Hershey)
Sporting: Foley (only because we have to share the same bed and I don't want him up set with me even if he didn't know that I entered him.)

Abby said...

Hi, Mango...

Oh My...I can't decide...

I was gonna be like Obama & vote for me in the Toy Group...But look at Huskee & Boo Boo, & everybody else...

And there are sooo many beautiful Goldens & Labs & Suzuki is surfing...

So...I'm gonna ask Rosco to decide...

He Chooses:

Toy - Boo Boo (I'm not even mad, BooBoo is adorable!!!)

Sporting - Suzuki, cuz he is sure a sporty dog...

Abby xxxooo

the professionals said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tom and Tama-Chan said...

I am going to be the perfect gentleman and would like to cast my vote for my lovely friend Niamh in the Sporting group.

TOM

Joe Stains said...

For Toy group we vote for Huskee, and its totally a sympathy vote because he lives with Hershey. As for the Sporty group, I vote for Sophie. OF COURSE!? I am so glad you didn't let her in my group because love is blind and she so totally would have won. I can be fair in everything else, but not when Sophie is involved.

Maverick the Pirate said...

Harrrrr
Yer Cap'n votes be for Bae Bae and Joey the golden Harrr.
Cap'n Maverick the Pirate

Penny, Poppy & Patches said...

Our viewer's choice awards are: Toy = Bae Bae and Sporting = Marvin the Scottish poet! Our reasons are a secret! Hahahahahaha!

Aire-hugs,
Poppy, Penny & Patches

Joey said...

Wow, there are so many great choices! Here's my vote:

Toy Group: Bae Bae (Hamsterrier)

Sporting Group: Joey (Golden Retriever)

Dannan and The Girl said...

Holy Dog, how are we supposed to pick???? So many great doggies (and hamsterriers!), hard to decide! Um, we'll go with Honey in the Toy group (gotta vote for the doggy that has no body!), and Lady Kaos in the Sporty group! We love the snowy nose shot!

Wrooooooo!

Martha Basset said...

Very hard to decide but here goes:
In the Toy group we vote Tucker - we like his attitude!
In the Sporting group we vote Marvin - we think he is adorable!

daisydog said...

All these doggies deserve best in show!!! I let Roscoe pick toy and he likes Honey buried in the sand. I pick Mason Dixie in the Sproting group, because good accesorizing is essential!

diane said...

I'd like to vote for Clover and Marvin, if that's okay with the Mangoman...

Toffee said...

What a great commentary!
Mango you are never at a loss for words!
(I loved all the contestants!)

Lorenza said...

Hi, Mango!
It is not easy to choose just one!
But... Huskee and Suzuki
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

nl1990 said...

Mango - I live in Chicago, can I vote more than once (you know our unofficial motto here is "vote early, vote often")

If so, I'd like to vote for Clover and Sophie and Pumpkin (a fellow Chicagoan) in the toy group.

For the sporting group, Trophy and Marvin - for starters ;-)

Petey said...

Hi Mango Man!

Excellent job with the commentary! Educational and amusing. I don't think we're supposed to vote (that's why you've got judges, right?) but we sure like TOM in the Sporting Group (because he's a really good sport!) and HUSKEE or ABBY in the Toys.

Your pal,

Petey (the ONLY Cairn Terrier in Mangominster!)

Amber said...

I would like to cast a vote for Joey the Golden Retriever! For the little dogs, I like Pumpkin - so photogenic. Thank you!!!

Lexi, Qwill, Shiner and Trophy said...

We vote for Bae Bae in the toy group

and our very own Trophy in the Sporting!

AppleDebbie said...

Gosh Mango, this is a tough choice because I have lots of friends in the Sporting Group. But my heart belongs to Mason Dixie so I'll cast my vote for her. :)

All of the Toy Group pups look like stuffie toys. I'll vote for Huskee because he looks like my pal Einstein.

Your Buddy,
Trooper

Mack said...

Well, since I HAVE to...I vote for Paris in the sporting group.

In the toy group, my vote goes to Ginger.

Niamh said...

Toy Group: Pumpkin. I love the windblown look.

Your friend,
Niamh

Maggie and Mitch said...

OMG, how will we ever choose! This is such stiff competition but we have to go with BooBoo in the toy group because your wrinkles are just too darn cute and Paris Rain has our vote in the Sporting group! We love the tongue action!

Love ya lotsj
Maggie and Mitch

tnbullterrors said...

Hey Mango!
We vote for Niamh in the Sporting group and of course, even if she does boss us around, we vote for our very own Cissy the Chihuahua in the hoodie for Toy Group!

Feather, Darla, Pappy & Chico

Princess, Tank and Isaac: The Newfs of Hazard said...

Sigh...

Dad's car broke down and we didn't get entered. We were gonna enter in working group, Non-sporting group ('cause we like to cheat in games), and Toy group because we love to play with Toys and have so many great pictures with toys. Dad was gonna shrink us in photoshop for the toy pics. Sigh...

Puglette said...

wow! fabulous job of all the links and all the photos! thank you so much!
hugs,
puglette
:o)

Small Footprints said...

My cat, Isabelle, reviewed all the entries and ... thought it was all quite tiring. She did wake from her nap long enough to vote, however. In the Toy Group, she came up with a tie ... Bae Bae and Honey. In the Sporting Group, she voted for Charlie (she thought he resembled a cat).

What fun!

Small Footprints
http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com

Agatha and Archie said...

Well for toy we vote for Huskee( we both get one vote right?) and then for sporting one of votes for Ms Sophie and one of us for Niamh( ahhh the advantages of getting two votes) We are TOTALLY behind the times and didn't even get an entry in! Love A+A

Heather and Pumpkin said...

I will abstain from voting in the toy group since I am entered. In the sporty group I choose Gus - they are all beautiful but he seems the sportiest.

xoxo
Pumpkin

Pamela, Kira and Scampi said...

We vote for Bae Bae and Trophy, I love the little guy who has the balls to compete, and the face on Trophy is just adorable!

Mason Dixie said...

What a great contest. So many came out to play, and such a diverse selection. For toy I vote for Bae Bae, and for sport I vote for yours trully muah, Mason Dixie. And thank you to those who have voted for me. =)

Stella said...

I vote for Honey the Pomer-Corg in the little guy class.

I also vote for Tom the English Springer.

Kisses,
Stella

Khyra The Siberian Husky said...

I popped in to say I'm not going to be khommenting on the pikhs/etc until the khompetition is over.

I did want to applaud all of 'us' fur the fantastikh amount of entries for MANGO Minster 2009!

One day, this WILL rival the OTHER show!

Hugz&Khysses,
Judge Khyra
PeeEssWoo: As someone who has akhtually purchased Kira's mom's skhulptures, let me paw that they will be furry furry impressed!

Lisa said...

This competition is really neat! Suzumi (my Japanese Chin) and I would like to support our breed and vote for Pumpkin, though all the dogs are beautiful.

Lisa

Jen said...

I vote for Gus!

The PR Gang said...

Wow! Really fabulous competition! Mango Minster, hahaha! Your blog rocks. Keep up the great work. Hope you still have enough time to sleep...ummm....meditate everyday!

Courtney said...

Hands down (or maybe paws down):
Toy - Huskee
Sporting - Trophy

Lacy said...

w00f's mango minster and dexter, me will make my decision tomorrow...geesh this iz hard...lots of me friends up there..

b safe,
~rocky~

Sara said...

Rory the mutt would like to vote for her friend Gus in the Sporting group!

patty said...

honey & trophy!

MH200 said...

Gus is the one!

Mango the Maltese kiddo said...

Oh Noooooo!
I thought my mom can read and understand English. She told me the deadline for Mango Minster is Sunday 2/8 so we were so sure it would be midnight!
I missed the fun this year, I hate my mom!

Bae Bae said...

Oh what a pawsome list.
I'll vote for myself in the Toy breed. I'll be the smallest toy. hee hee
And I'll vote for Mason Dixie for sport. ;)

~ Bae

Samantha: said...

Wow - so many, many entries that it's really hard to decide. I love the doggies and I love the blogs too. I guess I gotta do right by myself and vote for me, Sammie - sport and decided to vote for Huskee for toy! Congrats to everybody, cause you are all awesome!
xo Sammer-bammer (as my peeps sometimes call me)

Niamh said...

I forgot to vote in my own Group! I'll vote for Tom in Sporting. He is so handsome.

Your friend,
Niamh

MJ's doghouse said...

wow mango...this is a very hard decision for me...i mean they are all really wonderful...and I want them all to vote for me...but since i am not allowed to vote for more than one each..i am going to vote for huskee....cuz he has been a buddy of mine forever.....and Sophie...cuz..well she is beautiful and...she is a fellow canadian and we lose out on alot of stuff over here...so it would be great if we could get a couple winners over here...love you big man....wink wink...mj

dewdana said...

Awesome job Mango! This must be a lot of work!
Toy- Boo Boo
Sporting- Moose the bionic Labradog (I had to... he's my baby!)

the professionals said...

clover in toy
gus in sporting

but me thinks you all should win!

Biggie-Z said...

This is really hard to vote for just one in each group, but we liked Niamh and Huskee. We also like your commentary.

(We also really liked dexter but we see a lot of him on this blog...)

Amber said...

OMD...this is sooooo hard Mango man!! Ok, I have to say Clover in Toy....I think she is the cutest Pug I have ever seen! I have a neighbor Pug and she puts him to shame BIG TIME. ;) I also really like Pumpkin and Honey in Toy but I can only vote for one so it is CLOVER!

In Sporting, I must vote for Gus based on his extremely sporty picture! :) I also like Trophy's cute picture. :)

Can't wait to see who wins!

Kisses,
Nala

Get some rest Mango!

Huskee and Hershey said...

Hi Mango Man...
Your commentary is absolutely first class!!
I don't think I should vote in the Toy category since I am a contestant, BUT I have managed to bribe Hershey to vote for me - trust me, it wasn't hard at all.. I just told her that I'd give her 5 new bonesn 30Feb if she votes for me!! **heheehee**
For the Sporting category, I'd like to vote for my good friend Cody as he is a fab swimmer and friend to us. Hershey wants to vote for our other good friend, Kaos.

Wuff,
Huskee

Suzuki said...

OK
In the TOY group I vote for Honey
I'm not going to vote for myself in sporting (but everyone else should BOL) so I vote for Gus

Big good luck licks to everyone
Suzuki
xxx

Scruff said...

My flea bag cousin asked me to stop by and vote for her. She is the one boogey boarding. (Yes she is ACTUALLY Boogey Boarding by herself). So my vote for sporting goes to Suzuki and my vote for Toy goes to Abby cause I think she is hot BOL.
Gruffs from the Scruff

Winterdark said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Winterdark said...

Must be too early int he morning, I forgot to sign my name.
Oh boy, and I thought the WORKING group was a tough pick. Sigh. OK, Toy group, I'd say First is Honey, Second is Huskee. Sporting Group, First is Tom, Second is Moose.
Bolo
http://peiinthelife.blogspot.com/

Katie said...

I vote for Paris Raines, of the Cocker Mess variety!

~Mack's cousin Katie

PhilipJCaputo said...

+1 vote for Gus, the golden retriever!

Murphy Dogg said...

Hey Mango,
Mama says I have to vote for my little sis, Ginger, cause we're family. Ugh, okay.
For the sporting group, I'm voting for Paris because I love that she's unladylike and rude. That's hot.
C-ya,
Murphy Dogg

Ludo van puppy said...

Can i please vote for BaeBae in the toy group and Suzuki in the sporting. I thinks they is the most 'un-mestminster' entries. BOL!
~lickies, Ludo

Pug(s) and Bugg said...

We vote SOPHIE in the toy group and CHARLIE in the sporting group... because we've NEVER seen a pug do that before, ever.

Nibbles Treats said...

Go Tucker Go!!! Tucker, Tucker, he's our man. If he can't do this no one can! RAH!

We also want to cast our vote for Mason Dixie! Too Cute!

Chef said...

They all look like winners to me. I'm voting for everybody!

The Army of Four said...

Oh! This is so hard.
On the unique-ness scale, BaeBae's got to be the winner in the Toy Group.
And for Sporting.... because of his poems, we've got to cast our vote for Marvin!
LUv,
Dave

Plain Old Phil said...

Honey in the toy group
Gus in the sporting group

Sophie Brador said...

Did anyone choose me? I choose me. Even if I am a very bad doggie. A girl's gotta work it, ya know?

xo
SB

Lacy said...

w00f's, after much thought, we think its only fair we go with the oldest of our friends..(and we no a lot of those)...toy: Huskee and sporting: Marvin!!!!

b safe,
~rocky~

Scruffy, Lacie and Stanley's Place said...

We're probably waaaaay to late to vote cuz it's like Monday already, but we're votin' for Bae Bae in the toys cuz he's well one of the only terriers in the toy group who isn't even a dog. Plus he just rocks on general principles.

As for the other group...Sophie is it, Mango...she personifies breed standard like no other.....

Um...we're not sure how you took on ALL THIS WORK...it's got to be interferin' with major meditation time. Is PeeWee helpin'???

We woulda voted..or I woulda voted for Peewee, but he's a boy. It came down to him or Sophie...she one...she once had ovaries. Did Peewee? See...I rest my case.

Love ya Mango...

Laciegirl

If ya want to let Scruffy and Stan vote, they vote for BaeBae and Peewee...

I don't know if their votes count cuz they're boyz.

Wimsey said...

BaeBae for Toy and Sophie for Sporting Group. Gosh, that really was difficult! All beautiful and handsome. Good job Mango getting all these doggies together.

Wimsey

Eduardo said...

Charlie rocked the sporting group! BOL! How in the world did she get in there? I vote for her!
Hugs & Snugs
Eduardo the Snuggle Puggle

simply me said...

My vote is for pumpkin!!!

Peanut said...

Okay it's so hard to vote. For the toy we are going to vote for Abby. We had others we wanted to vote for though.
Oh and Flash is going to be so mad I'm not voting for his lady love but family has to stick together so we are voting for our Uncle Foley because who makes a bed like him? :)

chasingsquirrelswithrusty said...

Mango, It was so hard to choose, there were so many great entries. Riley and I talked it over, played bitey face over it and finally came up with:
Toy group - Abby cause she is just so darn cute.
Sporting Group: Charlie The Levitating Sport Pug. Maybe he'll teach me to levitate like that!!

kfinkler said...

go Gus go!

Cameron said...

+1 for Gus!