Sunday, May 17, 2009

Dexter Day - Barn, Mouse, Housework, and Walkie

Given that my postings are limited to one day, I have saved up many things to report.

First of all, a big congratulations to Agatha who passed her earthdog examination yesterday. WOW!

Rick and Jarrod spent the week installing windows on the barn.


And putting up siding. I was a little worried that the colors didn't match, but Master assured me it was because he had saved some of the siding from the old barn and that Rick would make sure it was all the same color.



Plus the roofing guys finally came which made Master very happy because now it doesn't rain inside the barn anymore.



OK, Lacie mumsie better hide her eyes for the next few photos.


We had been hearing the pitter patter of little feet upstairs for a few nights and so Momma put out her mousetrap and last night she caught a big fat mouse. It's hard to see him, but he is in there.





I wanted her to let the little critter out to play.



But instead, she took him out to the fence and let him run away. Apparently there is some sort of mouse witness protection program in the woods behind our house.



The traps are baited with peanut butter which means they smell really good even without a mouse inside.

(OK mumsie, you can look now).

Notice that the pool has been moved back to its original location so that its now safe for the Relentlessly Huge to go in again.



So as usual I got momma up at 5:30 AM to start her day. After she drank her coffee and read the paper and sat around for a long time, I suggested it might be a good time for walkies. But she declared there was some sort of emergency in the dog cave and showed me THIS!




She said no walkies until we could "see the desk again" which is an odd statement given that I can see the desk perfectly fine (look, Randi, I keep your photo right on the door where I can see it all the time).

In order to facilitate moving papers around, I suggested she listen to some nice music.





I chose Carmina Burana because it is very motivating, but the Relentlessly Huge overrode me by opting for Brent Lewis' Monkey Hip Gumbo (he seems so have some sort of monkey fetish going on).



He says he really digs the beat. Sigh.





Buried underneath the rubble, Momma found this $10 certificate for LLBean. It was almost expired so she said that it "had to be used" right away.



I immediately assisted her in navigating to the dog page of the online catalog.





But she insisted on buying new walkie shoes instead. I guess that's OK if it makes her go faster.



She also found this bill from when she got busted making a U-turn in the fast pass only lane last weekend. Look at the address! "Violation Processing Center." Is that embarrassing or what? They even sent her a photo of the mastiff mobile caught in the act.




She hates filing most of all, so I provided moral support during that activity.




And finally.... VICTORY!





Let's go!!!!



That's a relief.






I suggested we take a trip down to the common. When we got there we found a big tent! Momma said it was graduation day at the local college and soon the tent would be filled with graduates and their families.




I was more interested in seeing if the foodables tent had been setup yet.



Look at this! Weave poles! Do you think they do agilities as part of the graduation ceremonies?




I thought maybe the college students had overslept and so I told momma we should go to the college and wake them up so they could graduate.

To get to the college, you have to go up these stairs which are kind of falling apart from the winter.


The stairs lead you to a bridge over the highway.





Good thing, too, I would hate to have to try and dodge the cars to get across the street.



Eventually we got to the college, but couldn't find any students, so Momma said they were on their own and we should head for home.





On the way home, we ran into this really big guy that was giving momma funny looks. I told her to stay away because he looked like trouble.




But she insisted on going up to meet him and, well, I was forced to defend her.


Did you see the way I bounced off of him? He must have had a force field setup. Time to move along.


Maybe a detour into the woods in case that guy is following us.
I climbed up high to take a look around but we had managed to shake him off. Good thing, too, because he FREAKED ME OUT!




OK, my walk is almost over. Time to do my "good doggie" walking. I always save this until the end because Momma is so dopey that she just remembers the end of our walkie anyway.




Back home, the Beastie was on the lookout for our return.




Of course he wanted to hear all about what happened and I told him about how brave I had been defending Momma against statue man and about how the college students had disappeared even though they were supposed to be graduating.




But then I got distracted by something that smelled almost like foodables!




A big pot of something that is "not for dogs." And you know it must taste good because the Master is preparing it, but he says it is something called "chili" and that even though it smells good, I wouldn't like it.



Maybe just a tiny taste? Please?



Dexter done!

37 comments:

dewdana said...

Hey Dexter! I thought you said labradogs were not afraid of anything? Still you looked pretty brave the way you stood up to that big man to protect you momma and moose wants to know if you will come be his body guard to protect him from Snow White? Awesome progress on the barn! I can't believe it!
That picture of RH towering over the fence is hilarious! It makes him look even huger than he is! I think the beware of dog is a bit superfluous when he is sitting there like that!
Moose and Dana
P.S. we think your master may have caught what the DOH has... that siding looks a little off!But I guess he says it will be right when it is done so we'll see! The other sign is the chili... why on earth would he heat something that is called 'chili' which is the opposite of heat! ;-)

Abby said...

Hi, Dexter...

Wow...That's alot of information...I think you need to negotiate with Mango for some more Blog Time...

I'm sure Statue Man will not bother your Mom anymore...You were very brave...

Abby xxxooo

Dennis the Vizsla said...

That statue has a bad attitude, I can tell just by looking at him!

Stella said...

I wouldn't let the Master tell me I wouldn't like Chili, I bet you would love it. It might get your tummy rockin' and rollin' a few hours later, but somethings are just worth it and chili is one.

Kisses,
Stella

Martha Basset said...

Hi Dexter
That was almost a Mango size post! First of all we thought the barn was looking cool - windows - yippee and a roof! A barn with no rain inside is good.
The mouse - we cannot go there! We dont like mice - we would chase it but dont like it in a container. Thank goodness it is now safe on the other side!
The visit to the college was good and our mum laughed at the thought of the graduation students weaving up to the lectern to get their degrees!
The statue - well you didnt like him at all. Even when your mom told you it was ok you just threw yourself at him!
We are glad you are not hurt cos we think statues are made of hard things - like stone!!!
Your walk in the woods looked nice and we are loving your purple harness and lead! Very nice.
Now the chilli - how many humans is the Master cooking for? It is a huge pot! We feel sure if he left out the chilli you could have some - its nice to share tell him.
Well we are all commented out now. See you next time.
love and kisses
Martha & Bailey xxx

aninhas said...

What a big big day you two have!!!
Your photos are so cool :)
Good luck with all the movement in the house :)
Have caution with that, ok?
hehehe

Hugs and kisses from kikos world

Land of Lincoln Labbies said...

Hi Dexter Doggie,
Glad to see you were taking such good care of your Momma and protecting her from staue man. Tell the Master we think that his barn is looking quite beautiful (err we mean handsome) and could he please send some of that chilli this way because yesterday it rained all day here and was only 57 degrees! At this rate our pool will never open, but we are so glad to see your Momma moved yours back to its original place so RH could use it to. It also took us a few seconds to realize Mango was sitting on the observation deck looking over the fence. That picture make him look Extra RH!
Have a good Dexter Day!

Jan's Funny Farm said...

Dexter, You're a riot. You and mango belong in the same house. You're both fun.

DCampy34 said...

Sweetie catches mice all the time - but they dont get released after she is done with them unfortunately.

The barn looks like it is really coming alone congrats to your humans.

so brace of you to protect your mommy those statues can be dangerous.

our mommy made chili too this week - we didnt get any either - but mommy did give us some of the meat.

Woodrow Sweetie and MJ

Gus said...

Dexter..is that Green Chili or REd chili. I like the green stuff. I do not like the red. Make Master pick out the onions before you eat it. It is fun to watch

gussie d

Honey the Great Dane said...

Hi Dexter - you were really brave with that statue! They freak me out as well - there is a weird white one in the Auckland Domain where we often walk and the first time I saw him, I barked at him for nearly 10mins! Now that I'm more used to him, I just give him a suspicious look and quickly sidle past...

Mmm - I could smell the chili just from the way you were describing it! Did you get a little taste in the end??

Slobbers,
Honey the Great Dane

Liffey said...

Wow Dexter- what an exciting walkie!! That guy looked so scary and you were so big and brave for your mamma. Liffey's licks to oyour big brave self

Maggie and Mitch said...

What a lot of information in one post, Dexter! Mitch would have loved to help you chase that mousie! Too bad he got let out on the other side of the fence!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Eric said...

Dexter what a lot to post about. You need more blogging time dude to get Dexter done. Tooo much to do along with your protecting Moma and checking out the student weave polls.

Here the student weave polls are a test to see if the students have ha a skinfull after a good night out involving 6 lagers and an extra large chilli. Students who easily lurch through the poles then fall over in a stupor before the last weave pass the test and their graduation with flying colours. Wonder if thats the same test you have there?

Wiry wags Eric xxxxx

Khyra The Siberian Husky And Sometimes Her Mom said...

WOW!

I need to meditate and nap after all that akhtion!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

NORWOOD UNLEASHED said...

Hey dexter and mango
Great work helping momma with her desk. Wow that's a long walk you take. Those old men statues freak me out too. Why are they everywhere in masterchewsits? Now tell me mango- what's going on with the monkeys? do tell.

Norwood

Rufus, Indie (and Anita) said...

Hi Dexter! Busy day you had! I really love your purple harness!
You are such an adorable doggie: you helped your mom cleanning her desk!
Kisses
Rufus and Indie

The OP Pack said...

Dexter, you really need to lobby for more than one day to post - that was a long one, very interesting stuff too, especially that mouse - too bad you didn't get to sample him. The barn is looking great and we bet Mango must be happy to have his pool properly positioned.

woos, the OP pack

Lorenza said...

Hi, Dexter!
What a day!
Looks like the barn is almost finished!
That cleaning thing is very tiring! You mom found "treasures" buried there in the desk!
A mouse in the trap!
Good job defending your Mom from that statue!
That picture of Mango waiting for you is priceless!
Chilli!!! Yummy!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Pamela, Kira and Scampi said...

Wooo! You are a Lab aren't you. Way too much for me, I don't get scared of things though, I just wonder why they are not telling me I a BeaWootiful. Mommy gives me Chili once in a while, but only a little, because it can be spicy then you need to drink tons of water.
-Kira The BeaWootiful

daisydog said...

Dexter, Good thing you were there to help momma clean up her office! I need to help my momma do that too! I agree you need more blog time since you have so many activities to catch up on!

Scottie the 'cutie' said...

Whoa, so much happening at your home, Dexter! Your Mom cleaning up the table reminds me that OUR table at home needs a lot of cleaning too! *grins* Your walk looks so cool! You get to go in a big tent...what's it like inside there? And the chili thing sounds delicious...you sure you couldn't get a bite?

Scottie

Asta said...

Dextew
I am exhausted fwom youw vewy full schedoole. You did a fantastic job helping youw Mom wif the desk cleanup, and pwotecting hew fwom hooge stiff monstews and helping welease mices into the witness pwotection pwogwam, and picking moosic..phew!
No wondew my welentlessly hooge fwiend has to meditate so much..I think you totally desewve at least a taste of that yummie chilli.
Have a gweat week!
smoochie kisses
ASTa
pee ess..the bawn is looking gweat!

Joey said...

Hi Dexter! The barn is coming along great! You sure had a long, good walk! I always save my good boy walking for the end of the walk, too. My dad says it's because I'm tired, but my mom thinks it's because I know we're almost home so there's no reason to pull anymore.

See ya!
Joey

Rocky Creek Scotties and Java said...

YUMM!!! Chili and mousies!!

XOXO
Lilly, Piper, Carrleigh and Java

PS - We think Mango should let you blog more often - of course we are prejudice toward labradogs.

Brind'Amour said...

Hey Dexter, What a day! I love your two-tone barn. Too bad you couldn't keep the mouse as a pet! That would have been awesome! Good job keeping your mama safe from that scary statue.

Wiggles,
Brind'Amour

babyphat523 said...

Dex, you're getting really good on that leash!
And your brother Mango looks pretty ominous waiting for your return.
Hope Mango's guts are feeling better this week.
xo :) Chummers

Amber and Nala said...

What a day Dexter! My Mom hates little mice....they freak her out but your Mom seems very brave. A witness protection program huh....if I ever see one around here I will let them know.

Too bad your Momma got busted...those darn video cameras. :(

Great job taking on the evil statue too and tell Mango he was very cute looking for you upon your return. :)

Nala

Amber-Mae said...

Hey guys! Wow, the barn is looking great. Dexter, looked like you had a fun walk. That man sure looks scawie but we usually don't get scared of statues. Come on Dex, you should be brave! Show what black Labradoods can do!

Smoochies,
Solid Gold Dancer + Puppies

Lois Lane/Laney said...

My mom just bought new shoes to take me on walks too. She said she's been wearing out her walking shoes a lot faster since she adopted me! Bwahahahah

Ludo van Doggy said...

Action packed post Dexter. What a cool walk. We has them statue things round here, you did will protecting your Mom. You has a fearsome growl.

Funny, your dog cave desk look just like My Mum's at the moment.
~lickies, Ludo

Kimberly said...

DEXTER... you tha man... such a cute face in that last picture.. Mango is a beautiful doggy too... woof.. love the video LOL

Pedro said...

Dexter,

My goodness that was a jam packed post! What a busy day. Reclaimed wood on the barn - great job! No kill mouse trap - great job! Clean desk - great job! Nice walk - it doesn't get any better than that!!

Pedri

Pedro said...

Dexter,

I'm all paws - I didn't even spell my name right!

Pedro

Joe Stains said...

Wow windows and a roof, talk about good living, that barn is almost ready! Glad the pool is back where it should be so Mango can get his paws wet again. You were very brave against that statue and I am sure your Mom is very thankful. This reminded Mom of the horrible mess in our office.

Randi said...

Awww Dexter...

My little black knight in fuzzy shiny armour...you WOULD defend me against that horrible stay-still stone statue, wouldn't you? I never doubted you for a second!

Looks like you had a big adventure with your momma & so happy she was abe to find the puter again...my mom/secretary was inspired by your momma & did a thorough cleaning of the kitchen & foodables room...maybe she'll blog about it..it was boring though...all I did was watch her...

Anyway...Is that a little wee baby pic of you with Mango almost chomping on your head on the top? My poor little cub...

Love & Licks,
Your Cougar,
Randi

Allison (Dog Mom) said...

Wow--what a fun and full day! You are so helpful to protect your mommee from the big bad statue.

Wuv,
Gus and Waldo