Friday, May 29, 2009

Where I Come From - by Dexter

Dexter here!

It seems that lots of doggies are posting about where they came from. Me? I never met my dad, but I came from a nice family of labradogs at a place called Nightwind Labradors. I think my dog mommy kind of picked my dog daddy up at one of those dog show places and he lived in Maine or someplace so they had a long distance relationship.

Anyway, I really enjoyed living at the Nightwind place. There were two dog mommies at once and so there were 13 of us pups all playing together with our mommas and aunties and uncles.

One day, when we were just four weeks old, dog mommy said that some people were going to visit so that we could interview them and see if we wanted to go and live with any of them. I found this movie that records the day and it has my dog mommy in it! She is big and blond and beautiful like Miss Sophie. I am not sure which pup is me.





All the people were very nice and after they left, dog mommy sat us all down and told us what life would be like with the different families. She said some of us could be show dogs if we wanted and some of us could be hunting dogs like her. That hunting stuff sounded good to me.

But then she told us that there were two people who were actually not looking for a puppy for them, but were acting as agents for a doggie who was looking for a pal. She said that the doggie was very sad because when he was less than one year old his Grandpa Angus the Airedale had crossed over the Rainbow Bridge and then a year later his big sissy, Beautiful Raja, had also crossed over and now he was an only dog.

Mommy said that this dog was lonely and really needed a friend to cheer him up. She said the doggie mostly lay around the house and didn't even really want to play too much with his momma. But she also warned us that he was a very big doggie and if one of us went to live with him, we would have to be ready to be mindful of his hugeness. In return, whatever pup went to this big dog's house would have a nice yard to play in, take long walks, go to agilities, have a soft couch to sleep on, and a best doggie friend.

Oh yeah, she also said that the people who lived with this doggie had never lived with a labradog before so they might not be sure what to expect. Finally she cautioned us that to live in this house would require being very confident but also respectful.

Well, I have to say, that sounded just too good to pass up (I mean any doggie can go to shows or go hunting, right?) and I raised my little paw and said, "I choose them!"

So a few weeks later, the people came back and bundled me in a warm blanket. I rode in a car next to the man's chest where I could feel his heartbeat and I was very calm.

But... I never expected to find THIS at my new house!








Honestly, I wasn't entirely convinced at first that what I was seeing was an actual dog because he was RELENTLESSLY HUGE!

He seemed a bit confused by me as well.






He said his name was Mango, which I think is actually a fruit, not a dog, but I wasn't in any position to point that out to him

He let me in his house and showed me his toys.




And it turned out that he was actually a really cool guy! I can't say that we were best pals from the start because when I first moved in, the big guy yelled at me a lot because I didn't know the rules.

But pretty soon, he was teaching me the ropes...

How to pee outside...



How to enjoy a nice sun bake...





How to bitey face (The movie is kind of long, but towards the middle you will hear Mango making strange sounds. Hearing those sounds did make me question whether or not he really was a doggie - and our first monkey is in it - I accidentally beheaded the monkey shortly after the movie was made).




Oh yeah! He also taught me how to look fierce! ARRRRRR!


Sometimes I admit I was a little bit afraid of him; especially when he tried to get into my bunker with me...



But I have to say that Mango has proven to be a great brother and I really like living here!



Plus Momma lived up to her promises too and I get to go on nice long walkies, sleep on the couch, and go to agilities classes. And you know what? Mango secretly told me that he likes me too and he is much happier with me around than when he was an only doggie.


Dexter Done!


P.S. Poor Mango is trying to find photos of where he came from. Now I really love the big old guy and hate to burst his bubble, but I think he is going to have to go to the natural history museum to find his dog mommy or daddy, because...






Well, we all know that he may think he is a doggie, but he is actually a mutant dinosaur sized beastie!



52 comments:

Mack said...

What great videos! Dexter, your mom was a blonde, just like Paris....hmmmmmm...

Mango was so nice to you when you came home. I was kinda mean and growly to Paris on her first day here!

Brind'Amour said...

Hey Dexter, you were sure cute as a tiny pee wee. You are lucky to have a big brother to show you the ropes!!! Nice bitey face action Mango!!

Wiggles,
Brind'Amour

Niamh said...

Dexter,

You were one confident puppy to stand next to the Relentlessly Huge Mango! If he tried one of his dancing moves you would have been smushed. Glad you came to live with him though. I know that he is glad that your his little brother and we love to read all about your adventures. Good luck on you walk.

Your friend,
Niamh

Khyra The Siberian Husky And Sometimes Her Mom said...

Woo khouldn't have a better sibling!

Well, woo khould but it would have to be a sisfur: ME!

Tank woo fur sharing The Great PeeWee Story!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra
PeeEssWoo: How's your hike date khoming? Woo getting her in shape yet?

Pamela, Kira and Scampi said...

Woooo Dexter. That was some story. I think I would have been scared to stand next to a Relentlessly huge beast as that when I was a wee pup. You must have been very brave. The dinosaur egg puppy is too funny!
-Kira The beaWootiful

Lorenza said...

Hi, Dexter!
Thanks for sharing your story!
You and your siblings were so cute and your mom sure is gorgeous!
I heard you squeak in the video! Maybe Mango was thinking you were a squeakie toy!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

The OP Pack said...

Such a great story you told us, Dexter. Your Mommy was a BIG girl, wasn't she? And we love how gentle Manog was with little you. We are really looking forward to Mango's story too.

Tail wags, the OP Pack

Rocky Creek Scotties and Java said...

Dexter - you were a real cutie (and still are!!)

XOXO
Lilly, Piper, Carrleigh and Java

Randi said...

Oh DEXTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You were just the cutest little labrababy EVER!!!!!!!!!

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

I am in such ooglie dooglie mindset that I don't even know if I can finish writing..you are just toooo cute for words!

LOVE & LICK!
Your Cougar,
Randi

1000 Goldens said...

Oh Dexter, you were the cutest puppy! I love the pictures of you and your huge brother!

Fiona, as typed by Dr. Liz said...

Wow - you were So Little, and Mango is so Relentlessly Huge! But you were a cutie as a puppy! I loved the pictures, and your story! *kissey face!* - Fi

Noah the Airedale said...

We were a little worried that if Mango inhailed you were going to disappear. He must have held his breath during the whole bitey face session.
We never would have guessed Mango came from an egg. That is very strange.

Noah Willow Tess Lucy

dewdana said...

Your momma is beautiful! If I had to hazard a guess, I bet that you were the pup that went for lunch as soon as your momma showed up in the video!
And your bitey face video was hilarious and very informative! Now I finally know what those sounds were that Moose made when playing inside bitey face with TeddyNo! Wookie noises!
the pics were awesome too, esp the one on the steps. So cute!
Moose + Dana

Pug(s) and Bugg said...

Awwww Dexterrrr that made our momma laugh and smile and drop a few tears!!! Great story and wow I can't believe you didn't poo yourself upon seeing MANGO in his dino-glory!

Stella said...

Great story, Peewee! You WERE a brave little guy to approach big Mango and even play with him.

Kisses,
Stella

ocmist said...

My Dad wonders if you came from "Dexter's Lab-ratory" (an old cartoon) He said this was Dexter's Lab-ra-story...

Mom loved the pics of your brave little puppy self NOT cowering when you met the Relentlessly Huge Mango. Mom says she thinks she sat on one of the toes of that dinosaur in the picture.

We all loved hearing your story and have a lot more respect for you now that we realize how brave you really were even when you were "little." OC, BG & Dott

Aniemother said...

What a nice story, Dexter! Mom laughed at me a little, because your little puppy squeaks made me very concerned and I refused to leave the computer for som time in case you were still in there.

Bajas

Martha Basset said...

Hi Dexter
We loved hearing your story and seeing your pics and watching your video.
What an adventure for a little puppy!
It really must have been awesome meeting Mango for the very first time when you were such an itsy bitsy puppy.
We think you are very brave!
love and kisses
Martha & Bailey xx

Suzuki said...

Hi Dexter
You were furry brave to put up your paw fur the unknown :)
I hope you have a pawsome weekend.
Big licks to you
Suzuki
xxx

Liffey said...

You are very very lucky to have such a HUGE big brither cause he can protect you against anything!! Wish I had a big brother!! You were a very cute baby Dexter.
Liffeys licks to you

CAM said...

Hey Mango and Dexter
Greetings from South Africa.

Thanks for sharing your story...we loved looking at all Dexter's pics. Mango, don't worry..we are sure that you came from a very beautiful dinosaur...he..he..Take care. Hope to be friends soon. Luv Max &Co
http://theadventuresofmaxdog.blogspot.com/

Joey said...

Hi Dexter! What a beautiful story. You sure were cute as a little puppy! We're glad you raised your little paw and decided to come be Mango's little brother.

Your pals,
Joey and Zeke

NORWOOD UNLEASHED said...

Hey Dexter-
You didn't have a pointy head as a pup.. what happened? I'm not sure what I'd do coming home to that hugeness. He could put you in this mouth completely!

I love this post! Mom said she'll look for you tomorrow. You know what I look like. I'm not sure if I should call u dexter or peewee. Mom was laughing she thought momma said she was wearing the blue halter... and thought to each her own. but it's you.

See you tomorrow. I'll have my hot dogs with me.
Norwood

Gus said...

Oh Dexter Doggie, what a wonderful story. We are glad you volunteered to go to live with the Mango Man...you are a real cutie

good luck on the walkie tomorrow

gussie n teka

pam said...

PeeWee we'd be very scuured if we was you. Cause it looks like Mango thinks you are a large sqweekee toy. And those memories don't fade man.

Murphy Dogg said...

What a great story!

aninhas said...

hehehe
So Dexter, Mango is realy a mutant dinosaur sized beastie!!!!
hummmmmm
Do you realy think that????
He can be older than you but that old?
He is very big but a dinosaur?
hehehe

Honestly i think is like a big brother who loved you and teaches you the important stuff :)
Is very cool, wish i have a cool brother like him :D

Sorry we dont have been visiting a lot :(
Aninhas is studing for her exams, so all the time she can spare is all for me and my plays with the ball :)
Wish you and Mango are ok and happy :)
Give a big lick to your mum from me and aninhas ;)

auf auf

hugs and kisses from kikos world

aninhas said...

ps.
We dont forgot the award you two gave my blog :D
Thanks so mutch :D
I hope that in the end of the week aninhas have time for update my new adventures ;)
And trust that all buddies will burst into laughter a lot ;)

auf auf

hugs and kisses from kikos world

DCampy34 said...

great post - cool video of you pawrents - and poor mango i dont think you are a dinosaur

Woodrow

Dennis the Vizsla said...

hello dexter its dennis the vizsla dog hay wow i think yoo cud hav yoozd a stepladder for bitey fayse wen yoo wer a baby!!! also remember c3pos gud advise to r2d2 wich wuz let the wookie win ha ha ok bye

Owner of Storm and Jackal said...

Dexter you were such an adorable puppy!! I just want to grab your cute little puppy face and cover it with kisses. That video with you two playing bitey face, a couple of times Mango sounded just like a lion! Do you think maybe he's part lion, part dinosaur???

Minnie-Moo (Rescue Lab) said...

Awww Dexter, what a cute puppy you were! Muzzle says you were *almost* as cute as I was ;-)

We love the photos of you next to the Mangosaurus!! What a gorgeous pair of brothers you make.

Minnie-Moo
x

Tom, Tama-Chan and Sei-Chan said...

We just got caught up on your blog and really enjoyed reading Dexter's story!

We think that Mango looks like a really cool brother too!

Your Pals,
Tommy and The Girls

Eric said...

Dexter, what a lovely story. And gulp. Facing up to your new bro took some doing...brave for sure. Think that deserves some kind of big award. Good luck with the walkie and hope Mango releases enough gas into the atmosphere to keep his own ballooon up!!

Wiry wags n kissies, Eric xxxx

Maggie and Mitch said...

We loved your videos, Dexter, especially bitey-face! You and Mango were made for each other - you truly were!

Love ya lots
Maggie and Mitch

Rufus, Indie (and Anita) said...

Dexter, we offially your fans! Can you get any cutter? No way!!!
Your momma is beautiful!
Kisses
Rufus and Indie

Ike said...

Ok, Mango - you shouldn't have your lipstick out around puppies. Sheesh! :)
Ike

Abby said...

Hi, Dexter...

I love your story...

I definately think you made the right decision...

Abby xxxooo

Becky said...

Loved reading your story! You are very blessed to live with Mango and family and they are blessed by you also!

Sophie Brador said...

Your mom was gorgeous!

xo
SB

Martine said...

great photos of baby dexter... and of baby mango!!!

xo sugar & martine

Lacy said...

w00f's, u sure wuz a cute puppy, and the RH wuz soo gentle wiff u..me loves the picksur at the top..

b safe,
~rocky~

babyphat523 said...

Dexter you were such a wee baby next to your big bro Mango! Thanks to mama for posting these baby days shots.

Peanut said...

oh hahahahahahaha that is great Dexter. We love the pic of mango out of the egg

Allison (Dog Mom) said...

Haha, Dexter! We knew that all that Mango-speak about you being annoying was just crazy talk. He really does love you! Your cute little labrapuppy legs are so funny!

Wuv,
Gus and Waldo

Amber and Nala said...

So sweet Dexter and so tiny! YOu always make me laugh too!

Honey the Great Dane said...

Oh GOD!! I thought the last post was funny but this is just a complete side-splitter!! That picture of you hatching out of an egg...!!!!!

It was great to read all about where you came from - such sweet pics of you guys together when Dexter was still little! And what a lovely, lovely story about how Dexter decided to come and live with your family! I'm so happy you have each other now!

Slobbers,
Honey the Great Dane

Honey the Great Dane said...

Oh Mango - I forgot to say - you were so good and gentle with the little guy, even though you're HUGE!!! If that had been me in the house, Dexter would never had survived to adulthood...I play REALLY rough (not so much bitey-face as bite-OFF face...) and he would have been a squashed pup for sure before long...

Slobbers,
Honey the Great Dane

Kimberly said...

awwww, this blog was adorable to read and watch. What fun - Mango is so huge compared to the pup LOL
glad they got along

Samantha said...

Great story, well told and wonderful VID and pix!!! I did not know so much - thanks for sharing your tales, guys!!! Happy Thanksgiving!
Hugs ox
Sammie

Frankie Furter said...

OMD OMD I saved your blog for last. I just knew it was going to be the RIGHT balance of Thanksgiving and FUN. Dexter, your post was wonderful. Loved every word. I'm still laughing at your... ending.

Fiona, as typed by Dr. Liz said...

D'oh! I love 'where I came from' stories!!! I know Mom has some pictures of my Mom and Dad, and when they pick up my little sister, I'll have her take some more pictures, so I can see if things have changed since I lived there! I am so impressed that you weren't afraid of that GINORMOUS doggie when you were just a wee pup!

*kissey face*
-Fiona