Sunday, July 5, 2009

Dexter Day - Doggie Vacation?

IT'S DEXTER DAY!!!! And I have a lot to say!

I want to start my day by sending this award to my pal Mona.



Miss Khyra gave this award to my Momma during Mango Minster. Momma thinks it is because of all the hard work she did, but I know it is actually to acknowledge that she is the Dotty Old Hen of the month.

Well, Mona's mom qualifies since she discovered 97 draft posts in her bloggy! Can you believe it? That's 97 times she started a post and then just wandered away and forgot what she was doing.

DOH!





I prudently put my stuffies into the laundry basket so that they could go through the automatic washing machine. They are totally covered in slobbers and whatever other gross stuff the RH carries around in his mouth.




Good luck stuffies.




Momma decided that since she was "washing things that she never washes" that it might be a good idea to throw in her winter coat as well.

Huh? It's July! Yes, I think it is safe to wash your winter coat now. And nobody wants to see photos of your laundry, so can we move along?






I maintained guard duty on the stairs down to the wash room while my stuffies were being processed. I didn't want to take any chances that they would fall into the jaws of slobbers.






There. Just like new. Well, except the monkey still seems to be missing an arm.





Not sure how that could have happened.



This is Momma's last day of not working for a whole week and she declared it would be a "Doggie Vacation."

WOW

When does my vacation start? See it's almost 9:00 already. Tick tock, tick tock.




Uh oh, I have been snookered. Apparently a Doggie Vacation means a day without spending the usual 4-5 hours focused entirely on ME (OK, with some time for the RH too).

Yes, you heard it right, Momma said she will play in the yard, but other than that SHE is taking a VACATION from walkies and dancing and training and all that stuff. Can you believe it?


OK, so can we at least go out in the yard?

Check out our broccoli plants, they are making yummy food faster than Momma and Master can eat it.






Resulting in the excess going directly into ME!




Time for barn inspection.

It is hard to believe that just four months ago the barn looked like this.


You can see the bad fire by clicking here. There is also a link to the movie of our local fiyah fightuhs discussing the bahn fiyuh (which some of you doggies not from Master Chew Sits seemed to find entertaining).


And then it disappeared completely.





But now the new barn is almost finished and it is even better than the old one (how many times do you get to build something from scratch twice).




Any of you tool time guys out there who want to review the process can see all the barn posts by clicking here.


Master had some pretty stained glass windows made for above the doorways.



And now that the manly tools are here and there is electricity, he can get to work on building the doors.






The temporary fence is down which means I have full access to the barn.

In particular, I can go up on my observation deck whenever I want. The view is great.



A quick tour of the second floor.





Now what?

Momma recently introduced TENNIS BALLS into our toy rotation. I have been working very hard on my retrieving skills and am getting her to throw the ball for me (at least her arm will get exercise).

Wouldn't you know? Mango (little suck up momma's dog) decided that he wanted to retrieve as well. So I challenged him to a competition. Who is the real retriever on our estate? Here is a movie so you can decide for yourselves.

You can tell by the underwater effects that one of the things that did not happen on this vacation was to buy a real movie camera. Oh well.

Just to show you what is really going on, I am enclosing this brief clip without the nice music soundtrack. Now you see why tennis balls are restricted around here? What a dope.



Alright, what next? How about some bitey face action?

I think that the RH is unaccustomed to actual sunlight given the amount of rain we have had. As you can see, he went totally cracker dog during our playtime. Good thing for me that I am jet propelled and can escape his jaws.






Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. I do have some moves.




I went to cool off in my substandard pool, but as soon as I got in I had to jump right out again because the water was all cloudy and yucky.






This explains it. Slobber much?


I insisted that Momma put in fresh water for my labraself.

That's more like it.





Drying time. I now have some very advanced roaching moves.




Uh oh, is Momma going back in the house already?





Maybe I am a little tired after all that action. I'll just rest here for a couple of minutes until I am ready to go again.





Dexter Done!

P.S. Momma says we might be a bit "scarce" next week because she has to go to some dumb work training in addition to doing her usual job and there will be many hundreds of important emails waiting for her and of course since she is doing NOTHING today there will be bills to pay and housework and blah, blah, blabbity, blah, blah. Whatever. I hope they make her do the weave poles about 972 times at her training just like she made me do at agilities this week.


39 comments:

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

wow Mango you are a professional retriever but we think possible Pee-Wee has a bit of an edge on you.. At least you didn't eat that toy.. hehe
The barn looks great..
Have a great week MOM....

Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

Randi said...

OH DEXTER!!!!!!!!!! Look at your completely ADVANCED DOGA MOVES in your last photo!!! YOU ARE LEARNING, MY LITTLE CUBBLET!!!!!

I don't think I could flip my flippers inward like that....wow...YOU ARE THE LABRADUDE! MY LITTLE LABRADUDE!!!!

I have to go back & watch your movies cuz my mom/secretary was going tooo fast reading your DEXTER DAY POST!

LOVE & LICKS to my little cublett!
Randi

pam said...

Dexter you are a great retriever, 'well duh mommy, he's a labradork retriever - retriever mommy get it?'

Anyway, job well done!

Bobo and Meja Mommy

Peanut said...

You are a much better retiever then mango. I hate to admit it but Peanut is better at that then me. I just don't like to do it to much. I would rather run after Peanut and bite him on the butt. hahahahahaha

Your pal
Flash

Owner of Storm and Jackal said...

Yeah I think we all know who the REAL retriever is! Why stop at 972 times through the weave poles? Make her do tunnels and A-Frames too!!

Jackal

Stella said...

If you want a deep thought thunked, you go to Mango.

If you want a ball chased, you go to PeeWee.

These guys know what they are doing in their respective areas of expertise.

Kisses,
Stella

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

Mango you need to go on your own Holiday to that cement pond. They are nice and cool....

Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

Checkers said...

Dexter - that was a terrific post - we had such fun reading that! Glad you got some cool clean water free of the Mango slobbers - And clean stuffies! What a good momma you have.

Mack said...

That barn is the most pawsome one I've ever seen! And I had no trouble understanding the fiyah fitas, as my people are all from Boston!

Yep, it's laundry day here too so I have to do nappers without my bwankies!

Lorenza said...

Hi, Dexter!
Pawesome post!
The barn is almost finished?? Wow! the before and after is amazing!
Glad your have your toys clean now!
Have a great sunday!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Marvin -The Hollow Hound said...

Dexter ........I think I love you!

Of course, in a manly and rather gentlemanly way of course!

But I adore your posts, and my J is in love with the pics of the barn!

lotsaluv, and special hugs to dear Mango!

Martha & Bailey said...

Hi Dexter
Loved your Header pic with spiderman!
Now we hate the sight of stuffies going into the washing machine!
They come out with such a headache!
We like slobber!
Your barn pictures are amazing - what will your master do when it is finished?
love and kisses
Martha & Bailey xxx

Khyra The Siberian Husky And Sometimes Her Mom said...

I think Mango's special FLOOF intake helped make him extra sproinky and zoomie!

Tank woo fur a full and infurmative post!

Happy SUNday!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Gus said...

Hey yall..Mango and I have a non-compete clause in our contracts when it comes to retrieving. We don't want to make the rest of you look bad.

gussie d
(What, me? Retrieve?)

chicamom85 said...

Dexter, it was so great to read about your busy life. I love the picture at the header and all of your pictures. I don't know about Mommy washing my stuffies, they never smell right for a while. The pictures of that fire thing are amazing and it looks so good now. Did you help to build the new one?
Do you eat broccoli?? Yuck! My Mom says to tell your Mom that of course we understand that she will be busy and not to worry and have a really good week. I bet you guys will miss her. I will look forward to reading whenever your Mom has the time.

licks and sniffs, Sasha

Ike said...

Those are some seriously advanced roaching moves for a puppy.
Ike

Brind'Amour said...

Hey Dexter, now that you've mentioned about the broccoli, my cousin Benny is pestering me to make a vegetable garden!!! That boy......

Nice barn and moves Dexter!

Wiggles,
Brind'Amour

Lacy said...

w00fs, me goes after, but me does NOT retrieve...did u teach Mona to roach or did she teach u..u izz both exp0erts..

b safe,
~rocky~

Cookie and Cinnamon's Mum said...

Your Momma must have a green thumb. Our broccoli never grows as large as yours in her garden. And, as soon as a head or two grow big enough to look like broccoli, they go into Cookie and Cinnamon's stomach before I notice it.

Asta said...

Dexter and Mango
I can't even believe my Mommi contemplated missing out on eveyone's adventoowes. Thank you fow telling hew to come back. Those moves of the two of you chasing and bitey facing awe pawfect and made me want to go take a dip in the watew too..gee I wondew how come it was cloudy???

Youw Dad suwe is doing a pawtastic job on the bawn. It looks bettew than evew
smoochie kisses
ASTA

Heather and Pumpkin said...

Oooh I love broccoli! I will be glad to help consume the extra foodables.

xoxo
Pumpkin

Rocky Creek Scotties and Java said...

Wow !! What a day you had. Glad your stuffies made it through the washer OK.

XOXO
Lilly, Piper, Carrleigh and Java

Mango the Maltese kiddo said...

Wow, is it 4 months already since you had a special visit of all finest firemen in Master Chew Sits!
The barn look like a Barbie playhouse to me Dexter, did Mango Major choose the color? Nice, furry nice, don't get me wrong!
I love your header, I wonder how long should the Spidey last!

Abby said...

Hi, Dexter...

Yep...I have to admit, Mango is not quite the retriever that you are...

My Mom says she was worried during the whole first video that Mango was actually going to eat the tennis ball...

The barn looks great...

Abby xxxooo

Honey the Great Dane said...

Hi Mango and Dexter,

Well, I must say - your stuffies come out a LOT cleaner than mine! Either your washing machine is a lot better than ours or your slobbers are a lot less gunky than mine!!!

Oh, by the way, I saw your comment on Dennis's blog asking about the movie camera - I think my human emailed your Momma about this but we also use a still camera to take all my movies - and they're really good quality! My human thinks it's much more convenient having both video and still on one machine coz us doggies are always moving around and stuff, this way it's easier to get both photos and footage of us! She uses a sort of hybrid camera that is not digital SLR but is alot bigger than a normal compact digital and has a lot of advanced features but best of all, as a manual zoom lens so she can zoom in really fast. It's a FujiFinepix S6500fd and it's great!

Hmm...I can see that you need some practice with retrieving that tennis ball, Mango! I'm obsessed with tennis balls and it's the one time I can move really fast! :-) I can carry one around for ages in my large floppy mouth and no one will notice! Hee! hee!

Oh - last thing - about the raw diet, actually, if you guys are "gulpers" then that would actually be ANOTHER good reason to switch to raw coz you just can't 'gulp' raw meaty bones! Na-uh! That is the whole point of the raw diet - to feed us big chunks of stuff with meat and fat and bones, so we have to crunch and chew and break it up ourselves, rather than just shovel it in and gulp it down like kibble. I remember seeing a picture of Dexter's special bowl to try and slow him down in eating...well, just give him a lamb brisket piece and watch him try to eat that quickly! As long as you feed us things appropriate to our size, we can't ever gulp things down- in fact, raw food makes us have to slow down and really chew our food and feel more satisfied! :-)

Slobbers,
Honey the Great Dane

Scruffy, Lacie and Stanley's Place said...

Hmm...I just read the above comment by Honey regarding that you are interested in RAW diet? Ya better stock up on those Perdue Oven Roasters...it's somewhat frightening to me to think that some of those roastin' chickens only weigh a few pounds less than I do...does that mean if I descend on the Estate, would ya snarf me down??? Hmm...this might actually keep my away.

As for the Retriever/Not Retriever we were on the edge of our seats to see if Mango was going to swallow that tennis ball whole...we've never seen a dog with a tennis ball in his mouth, BE ABLE TO CLOSE HIS MOUTH ALL THE WAY....odd.

Your momma can throw very far...Mumsie uses a Chuck It...it goes clear across the yardie...without it well it doesn't go any where...so your momma is a South Paw??? COOL!! Stanley is too...he always offers his left paw for shakies...

We're going to hit the crate...exhausted from getting in trouble. Stanley jumped up on the side of Daddy's car and scratched the heck out of it...Daddy isn't very happy with him....

Love ya lots,sweet boyz...

Laciebeastie

hero said...

Hi Dexter, the barn looks great and your stuffies are cleaned. You get to play ball with Mango and cool away on the dip pool... that's a great way to spend the weekend.

gyllendogs said...

Thanks Dexter for all the stories and the pictures. I liked the one where you got that orange monkey's arm. The fire sounded scary. Old Jingles told me that we had a fire at our house years ago before I was borned and she saved everybody by barking real loud.

Fiona, as typed by Dr. Liz said...

I think it is very brave of you to let the stuffies go into the washing machine thingy. I couldn't bear to let my stuffies go through the whole wash-rinse-spin cycle. (Of course, most of my stuffies get de-stuffed before they ever need washing, but that's another story...)

*kissey face*
-Fiona

Holly and Khady said...

Why do humans have to wash off all the really good stinky smells from our toys? Mine wash ours too. Mostly because Khady takes them outside.

Wow, the bard is sure coming along! It looks fabulous!!

I need to get my mom to get out our pool too. Thanks for the pics as a reminder!

Holly

Maggie and Mitch said...

Your dad's barn is sure awesome! It's truly a work of art!
Maybe dad needs to grow broccoli! All mom does is weed it and there are no benefits - yet!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

The 'splorin' Wolfies said...

Dexter, we like the chicken award but is it part Zebra?????
we love your pictures and stories. you are really so cute to look at. but you know that huh?

Woodrow, Sweetie, MJ Campanella said...

cool award - congrats

we get our stuffies washed and they usually survive - happy your did okay too

ooo veggies we love veggies

happy the barn is coming along so well it looks great

i think you are both retrievers in your own way and it is good you are both having fun. mango did look like he was going to swallow that tennis ball.

Woodrow, Sweetie & MJ

daisydog said...

Swimming stuffies. Hmmmm mom will have to try that!

Ludo van Doggy said...

Busy Dexter day Dexter!
You is lucky your Mum washed your stuffies. Mine just get throwed away when they get manky. Thankfully I don't have Mango slobbering all over them though. His mouth sure be big.
~lickies, Ludo

Biggie-Z said...

Whoa, that was a lot of words for me, little dude. That bahn looks pretty cool - are you sure Master isn't building you a whole new house? Cuz that bahn looks bigger than my whole apahtment!

(Momma useta live in Mastah Chew Sits too, a long time ago when she was only like 200 years old.)

Jan's Funny Farm said...

Your dad has done a terrific job on the new barn. It's looking great!

Allison (Dog Mom) said...

We think maybe Dexter should be in charge of retrieving living things. Mango should be in charge of things that need destroying or a thorough soaking.

Wuv,
Gus and Waldo

ocmist said...

Hi, we are doing catchup... Goodness, it s a good thing you didn't know what was coming ahead of time!

All that rain... Power outages, Poor Mom trapped in a vault...

So glad you had a wonderful day here and it was great to see Mango feeling so good that he was actually running around and playing!

Your barn is also looking great and I'll bet you LOVE that observaton deck! We corgis LOVE high places, and THAT would be like heaven... at least for the pups since I can't do stairs anymore. Don't know if I could even do a ramp to that high of a place. :( Anyway, loved the long post before your mom's work slowed, and put the posting on a diet. OC