Sunday, December 27, 2009

A Big Adventure to (sort of) Meet a Pal








My pal Oskar's momma is in the hospital with bad sickies. She could use some of your vibes to help her come home soon. He is very worried.




Today I had a most amazing adventure. When Momma suggested we go for a ride in the Mastiff Mobile I was very excited because I know that ROTE is a good thing which often results in cookies.

So imagine my horror when I spotted THIS out the window! Go ahead and bigify.




Can you read the sign? Yes, we were headed beyond the Rt. 495 force field to the wild untamed part of Master Chew Sits.

TURN BACK! TURN BACK!

For those of you unfamiliar with our fair state, I am enclosing an actual map which shows clearly the dangers that await any unfortunate who ventures west of 495.







But my pleas were totally ignored and onward we journeyed.


After some time, we turned off the highway and momma announced "we're here!"

Where? Where are we?

OMD! Just as I feared. Look at what my poor innocent eyes beheld as we drove up what appeared to be a long, twisting, and most forbidding driveway.










The Mastiff Mobile came to a halt and momma asked me if I wanted to come out or wait in the car.

ARE YOU KIDDING??? I am waiting here! And be sure to lock the doors!







Away she went and left me alone and unprotected to shiver and shake and, um, well, kind of take a short nap, but only really a short one...


About 5 days later (Momma - about an hour later and he was asleep almost before I closed the door), I was awakened by the sound of the rear compartment opening.

What could it be? A monster? I dare not look. Make it go away!






Hey, what's this? Why it's Miss Kylie's mom! And she has foodables!




I was so relieved that I gave her a Relentlessly Huge smoochie. I wonder what she is doing way out here in the wild country?







Hey Kylie Mom, simmer down there. I think you are going cracker dog.






Momma got in the mastiff mobile and explained to me that she had gone to visit Miss Kylie herself but had left me behind because both Miss Kylie and I can be kind of shy meeting new dogs.

To prove it, she showed me this totally un -retouched photo on the flashy box. Hey! That is my momma with Miss Kylie. What do you know?



Holy crap! Is she wearing that sweater... AGAIN? How embarrassing.





And it seems Kylie is a googly eyed foodable monster just like my idiot brother. Who knew?





Huh? How did my flat self get into Kylie's estate?






And what is he doing investigating her fluffy tail and panty loons?





Sigh, guess I will just have to enjoy snuggling with her loveliness vicariously through my flat self.





I even found that Miss Kylie and I have something else in common....

Mom's who make us do dumb tricks.







Back at my own Mango Estate, I discovered that Momma had been sent home with a pressie for ME from Miss Kylie.





Humph. This is obviously for PeeWee. Little tennis ball fool.




But I got an awesome caterpillar stuffie thing. I love it! So many leggies to rip off one by one. Hehehe. Thank you so much Kylie and family.






Oh my! What have we here? A shameless huzzy photo. Oh baby baby!




With that image locked into my large and loving the ladies brain I retired to the dog cave to dream of.... hiking? Huh?




Mango man! Oh yeah!

P.S. From Momma - So what is the deal with the Rt. 495 force field? Well, when I was a kid, back (gasp) in the sixties growing up just west of Boston, everything between Framingham and Worcester was pretty much just houses, farmland, some stores, whatever. Not a destination. Even Framingham seemed like a long ride, but we went there to visit Shopper's World (the real one, not the fake big box park that is there now) because it was an actual shopping mall which was a rarity in those days. The next biggest thing was the Natick mall, built in 1965, but that only had 25 stores. Sorry for all the local references, but Massachusetts residents will get it. Does this look familiar to anybody?


Anyway, even though all the towns outside 495 have become part of the suburban sprawl and there are tons of housing developments and strip malls and whatnot, I still kind of think of it as the wild country.

39 comments:

MJ's doghouse said...

wow mango...that was quite the journey....i am so glad you got home safely...i was a little concerned about the big fire breathing doggy....anyhow ..your safe and that is all that matter...i hope you enjoy your new toy

Cinnamon and her mum said...

That was an interesting post. Did you actually feel anything different in the Route 495 force field? But, it seems the adventure was worthwhile as you got some presents from Kylie's family in the end.

Maggie and Mitch said...

How cool that you got to meet Kylie's mom, Mango! Maybe next time you can meet Kylie in person!
What a nifty caterpillar!

Love ya lots
Maggie and Mitch

Frankie Furter said...

Yikes!! You live in MONSTER Chew Sits.... I was so scared I couldn't finish reading without a trip to the grreat outdoors for a bit of "relief". Does EVERYTHING in your state have to be HUGE?????
I am sending my very bestest vibes to Oskar and his mom. It worked for Twix. I'm just sayin'.

Sami & Baylee said...

Hi Handsome Mango! I hope santa was good to you and got you lots of goodies! Did you get a chance to look in your tree for the kitty toy? I am catching up on your blog now! xoxoxo Baylee

The Thundering Herd said...

RH - Glad you survived trip to the Western Frontiers!

Olive said...

Hey there!! Sure hope you had a great holiday and enjoyed teh snow! We had snow in Texas!! Unreal!!

Licks ..

Olive :)

Olive said...

oops! Typo :(

Olive

iheartsnark said...

Hi Mango!

We are the same way with traveling. We have memorized all the left and right turns to our favorite stop: Grandma's House.

If we go anywhere else, we know immediately and start looking out the car windows, worrying about our destination.

We like our routine of going to Grandma's House, and don't like to deviate from it, thank you very much!

Yer pals,
Sketcher and Angel

ScrapsofMe said...

Mango-lishishnous....did yer Momma splain the box thingy? And I just missed it cuz I haven't been online much? Is that something you just do if you live in Mastif-chew-sits and it's an inside joke or sumtin? I am having trouble understanding why yer Momma wants you in a box.
sniffies all about yer large and handsome selfness,
Bonnie

Dennis the Vizsla said...

hello mango its dennis the vizsla dog hay wow that duz luk like sum skarry territoree!!! aliens and godzillas??? i say yoo tayk off and nook the site frum orbit its the only way to be shoor!!! just mayk shoor miss kylie and her mama and dada git owt of the areea first!!! ok bye

Daisy Dog said...

Sounded like a fine adventure, even tho there be dragons beyon 495! Tell Mango Momma that the camera is a Olympus Stylus 9000 12 megapix, 10X optical zoom and the shot was done using a panorama function. Reasonable price at about $200.

Benny and Lily said...

A long fun journey to see Ms. Kylie..how nice. That monster out there was a bit scary...hope you have fun on your journey back.Well wishes to your friends mom
Benny & Lily

Marjie said...

Mango, do remember that Mastiff Mobiles have a force field which can repel even the most fierce fire breathing dragon or whatnot. Plus, most Mommas carry foodables to distract fierce creatures, so Mastiffs can remain safe.

Love your many legged caterpillar!

Drools,
Thor

PS: My momma's parents had friends who lived a mile from Patriots stadium, and she says she remembers the wilds of Master Chew Sits.

kissa-bull said...

we sure are happy to hear you made it home safely mango. that fire dragon ish sure scary. you got some pawsome gifts , hope you had a wonderful christmas
the houston pittie pack

Ms. ~K said...

Mango, you would be shaking in your dog booties if you came to visit us...we're waaay out in the country w/ deer, wild turkeys, coyotes and even bear!!!
You're kind of like an elephant scared of a mouse, huh big boy!?!
Hugs and belly rubs to you and Dexter,
~K

The Army of Four said...

Now THAT is a totally exciting adventure! And a beautiful Miss Kylie and EVERYthing!
Play bows,
Zim

Rufus and Indie said...

Hi Mango! You did good staying in the car! ;) Those monsters...
Miss Kylie is dorable!
She even gave you presents!


Kisses
Rufus and Indie

Jazzi said...

WHAT a trip there Mango!!
You could have taken that ole firey monster, and sent him packing so fast that it wouldnt have even been funny.

Maybe next time, you can meet Kylie
in person. Hopefully you had fun though.

Smiles
JAzzi

Lorenza said...

Hi, Mango!
I have my paws crossed for Oskar's mom!
You went all the way with your mom to meet Kylie and she left you in your mastiff mobile?? hmmm.....
Enjoy your toy!!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Khyra The Siberian Husky And Sometimes Her Mom said...

WOW!

What a pawesome surprise trip!

That was soooo furry khool!

I wonder if she khould navigate The MangoMobile all the way to Pawsylvanin so woo khould investigate my pantyloons in pawson!

My mom would have foodables fur woo too!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Stella, Gunther & Betty said...

Mango, wasn't Dex along for the ride to protect you? Anyhoo, glad to see you made it back in one piece and there wasn't any snow to get in your way.

Snorts,
Stella, Gunther & Betty

Sam said...

We can relate here with your shyness about meeting new dogs, so I'm glad you got to meet a new human friend today!

ocmist said...

Looks like Miss Kylie's Mom is a lot of fun and very smart to show up with foodables for making friends with you! Even if it was a bit uncomfortable having to be near that horrible monster, you came back with an awesome story to tell PeeWee, and lots of stuff to tell us about too!

Mmmm... I don't know about these black females! That is Sadie's favorite pose too, including the hussy smile! Mom's taken a BUNCH of pics of her that way, but mostly she just gets the usual "ABSENCE of LIGHT" that is Sadie in front of a camera in the house.

Moco said...

Did you get a bunch of good cookies after being sucked into the force field.

Wild Dingo said...

Mango Man! if you think that's a scary area, you'd be scared of where i lived growing up: the foothills and berkshires of CT! OM Dawg! that is some scary backroads! Mr. Wild Dingo complained about how booney it was the entire time we were there while this booney gal just giggled...

Miss Kylie has a cute smile and she learned that dog in the box trick very fast! did she cheat? must have, cuz that's a hard trick!

~wags-n-wiggles~
wild dingo

MONA AND MOMMY TOO!! said...

Hi Mango & Dexter,

Looks like you guys had a wonderful Christmas. I missed you so much. Miss Kylie and Mango!! She is a lucky girl, to bad you didn't actually meet face to facd. Maybe next time.

{{{huggies}}}...Mona

tula said...

whew.. i live right on the forcefield or under it. what's with the monstahs? .. that's uncle cookie monstah, and great gpa lochness monstah. not so scurry- geesh! how nice of Miss Kylie to have you over for holiday cheer & entertainment. looks like another hussie photos going up in the dogcave. quite the collection.. BUT there's only one muscle butt HA! (this side of the forcefield).

toodles,
tula

achieve1dream said...

Wow Mango! Does Kylie know you thought there were monsters? Hehehehehe I hope she didn't laugh at you.

Jackal

Tucker said...

Hi Mango,
Is your Momma a crazy driver? We have tourists from your home state that visit us and forget how to drive when they go through the Hampton tolls. We call them Massholes.... What do you guys call us Maine-ahs?

woof - Tucker

Kari in WeHo said...

I hope you enjoy pulling off each individual leg!

Peggy said...

I remember Shopper's World! That was a big trip from the Hinterlands of Hudson where I grew up! That pic is great!

Oh and BTW, Dexter was born even further into the wild frontier of Central Mass. Its a wonder he survived....lol!

Twinkietinydog said...

For starters, I'm so glad you survived! Now that you're back healthy and safe, I'm going to have it out with you. You posted that adorable photo with Kylie's mom and my mom's jealous. We live so far away from you guys. Now I have to learn how to slobber like you, so I can make my mom happy. Tough.
Twink!

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

What a great surprise Mango. Miss Kylie is so cute.. Hey and don't forget the pressies she brought you..

Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

Honey the Great Dane said...

Sheesh, Mango, all you people getting into boxes is starting to give MY human ideas! (And you know what she's like when she gets one of those!!!) My only saving grace is that it'll probably take her a while to find a box big enough for me to get in! :-)

That was a pretty awesome adventure and I thought it was so clever how your Momma found a way to let you "visit" Miss Kylie. Plus my human really enjoyed reading her little blurb about the wilds of Master Chew Its -

Slobbers,
Honey the Great Dane

Chester said...

What a stressful trip!

What is it about all your Mums wanting to make you sit in a box? I could understand if your name was Jack. Mango in a box and Kylie in a box just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Oh well, like I can explain some of the crap I have to perform just to get a morsel.

Hang in there you Relentlessly Huge Mango!
Chester ;0=)

1000 Goldens said...

Thank goodness you were there to protect Momma beyond the force field. You're a good boy Mango! At least you got to smooch on a nice lady, and got gifts too :)

Two Country Poodles said...

Oh wow...sort of a DWB Playdate with a twist!


Wags and Licks,
Mollie Jo & Bobo

Biggie-Z said...

Wow, Master Chew Sits sure has changed a lot since Momma lived there. She remembers the old Shoppers World AND the Natick Mall, but only vaguely. They also used to go to Hanover Mall, I think. Momma loved to see the fountains and the ducks in the malls.

Back in her day they kept the force field at 128 when the 495 force field wasn't even finished yet.

Happy holidays and thanks for the trip down memory lane.