Tuesday, June 29, 2010

How to Stay Cool and Week Two of Skool

This kind of turned into a loooong post. Oops. But lots to tell today.

I have a couple of Rocky updates; good and bad.

First, the good. Rocky the Akita is home at last! You can read all about it on Khyra's blog here.





But also some sad news. My little squirrel friend, Rocky, passed away over the weekend. He was a great guy and not like those pesky squirrels that plague many of our estates. He lived inside and out with a great mom. You can read about him here.





Now for today's post!


I, Mango, clever chap that I am, have found a most ingenious way to stay cool. Yes indeed.

Recently, Master installed this nice little window fan because at night the outsides are cooler than the insides and this device encourages the outside air to come in and blow about my estate.




Lucky for me, the cool air falls to the ground and creates an invigorating zone of refreshment.

Sadly, the pocket of breeze is not sufficient to accommodate my entire Mango-ness, but I have come to learn that cooling my nards results in an overall feeling of well being.

Subsequently, I am keen to lay thusly with my strategic hot spot facing directly into the wind (this also aids in more rapid dissipation of any wayward broccoli farts).

Now, you cannot really see the relativity of the situation in this discrete photo. For that you will need to watch a somewhat R-rated movie posted here.

This movie also contains PeeWee at which point it becomes oddly pixelated.

WARNING! Mature audiences only.









In other news, we had skool outside this week and let me tell you, that was quite an ordeal.

The Mango is not designed to be outside, or inside, in temperatures exceeding a comfortable 68 degrees.

Neither is my girlfriend, Tula, for that matter, and we both insisted on taking breaks in the shade to restore our mentals.

Check this out. See how close I am to her? She is warming up to me, I can tell (or maybe she is just too tired to move, hard to differentiate).







Miss Tula was my training buddy for walkie work. Don't we look grand all walking next to each other?






Part way through class, teacher dude got the notion to try out some agilities. Now, the Mango is no stranger to the agility ring, yuh.





A pause for applause...





Miss Tula was not as keen as I to go bouncing around through hoops and whatnot.

Note that Norwood was back in skool this week and all about taking photos. Let me tell you, I gave him an AR AR AR just to let him know who is big dog for sure.








Thanks to my encouragement, she did perform a most athletic leap, thereby earning her a trip back to the shade zone for restorations.







Apparently, my recall was less than stellar. It was a confusing moment for the Mango, let me tell you, because between me and momma was this most interesting human who smelled of turkey treats and other nommy things. So I kind of flunked that part of skool this week (note momma caught in one of her Bob Fosse poses).





After our recalls, Tula and I were asked to position ourselves outside the ring. I was not bothered as it was shady and cool and provided most excellent seats for viewing of the insane cracker dog running recalls.








Here is a short movie to show you the exciting action!






An hour is a very long time to train and try to be a good dog, especially when it is hot and there are so many convenient potty areas.

But not a bad time spent. I got my usual quota of hot dogs and praise even if I did get just a wee bit distracted at times. Ever onward.








Mango Man! Oh yeah!

P.S. Thank you for all of your thoughtful suggestions on dealing with the whole transfer of energy from stupid PeeWee to momma. I think my favorite came from Anakin Man which I include here in it's entirety just in case any of my pals suffer from the same imbalance of power;

Hello's 'dere big me's!! It's yous little selfs!! Hu Hu's!! Firsts...I's get me telescopes outs and helps looks for Rocky!! Maybe's if yous play some of 'da Eyes of 'da Tiger musics he just may shows ups!!

O.tays... next's, I's must gets me's a pair of 'dem glasses!! Hu Hu's!! 'da first pairs!! SNORTS!!

O.K.'s Now's...I's gots a nut balls sister!! I's under stands what yous going trous wits yousa Pee Wees Hermans Big Adventures!!!

I's got just 'da solutions!! 'deres a couples two tree tings yousa can do's!!
1) Put some peanut butters on his tails... he's run in circles for hours til he's gets tired~ SNORTS!!
2) Put some peanut butters in betweens he's eye balls!!! hu hu's!!!
(see what's I's dids... just took same idea's and switchy switched places ups)...yousa cans feels free to tinks ups other places toos) I.E... Butts, armpits
3) O.K.'s now 'da next ones may take some times... butt likes my Mommy who's got her Drivers Lic from Cereal boxes... Yous too can learns to drives... den...ties a piece of steaks to 'da bumpers and drive and 'den Big Adventures will chase yous round blocks!!! Yous won't be tires 'cuz yousa driving...butt Big Adventures wills be's!!
Ha Ha!!!
Lastly!! Convince him for his name sake 'dat he must learn hows to dance in 'dose big white shoes!!! 'dat should tires him outs for sures!!!!!!!!!
Hu Hu's!!!!

Your co-conspirator,
Anakin Man

53 comments:

Wild Dingo said...

Mango Man! After that last post (sorry i was in too much denial to comment on it) I was afraid that you'd let Dex dis you with all his cracker insanity energy. "I do this, I do that. The Mango does nothing..." Dude whatever, right? I mean, he's constantly in some sort of weird competition with you for greatness, but we all know that Mango Greatness is simply nothing to be tried by a cracked-up labradoink. Thank Dog for updating us on your school greatness.

Now on to the schooling comments: Hello? that recall was WAY stellar. I mean, why else would your momma go all Bob Fosse? Or maybe she was confused herself about the exercise and pulled out a Tango move thinking it was a dance showdown.

Me thinks your momma is the confused one, not the Mango. I mean, it's easy to be confused when momma's voice is saying "Mango Come!" but her body is saying "Mango Tango!" No wonder your mentals get so much work. sheesh.

Lola said...

Mango, that video is going to be pawfect for Stella's bridal shower! I assume there'll be a shower and there should be some kind of R rated entertainment at it, don't you think?

Keep up the good work with Tula. I'm sure you're making progress there. Persistance is a furry impawtent key to success. Just remember that while I'm sure she's fine with your getting distracted by turkey treats, you gotta stay cool when confronted with floofy tails and you'll be fine. You did a wonderful job encouraging her in agility, too. You know, this insistance in pawfection is what gives me doubts about continuing my education. I can understand that one doesn't leave peemail inside. I wouldn't dream of it! But not to be able to answer a message outside - that's a tough one.

wags, Lola

tula said...

Ooo ahhh ewww, a girl's not suppose to see the entire mangoness-- nope not yet. must go wash my eyes out with soap..be right back.

Hey, Norweed's fuzzbutt talks? maybe that's why i put my snouter in it. it's saying sniff me! but, did you see him try to come ovah to the big dog cool shady hangout- unhuh. you told him! arr. in his own words, neener neener neener!

i'm thinking next time, pull out your tango & you're TP for sure!

TULA

YEAH FOR ROCKY! WISH HE COULD BE MY BRUDDER!

Gus said...

Hmmm...like the idea with the peanut butter. then I have an excuse to lick it off if it doesn't work.

gussie

Frankie Furter said...

Your Skool is Coool.

Mack said...

You still have your Mangoness!???? You lucky devil you!

El'bow and Hauwii said...

oooh mango :D
love the school story :D watch tula


Kissslobbes
El'bow & Hauwii

Deefor said...

Hey Mango
I agree about the heat. No need to move around in the hot sun when you can find a cool spot. I hope your humans are learning to give you lots of treats at your school. Tula looks kinda cute. In a big dog sort of way

Deefor

Busby and Raymond said...

We watched the nard movie. Was that poster board your Mom was holding up to hide your Mango-ness? Upon further review, perhaps they should change your name to watermelon. Impressive!

Stay cool. Oh, and we agree, sharing is for saps.

BRUTUS said...

All we can think of is you running around with the tire stuck around your hugeness. Did they have to grease it up so you could slip through without ripping it off it's brackets??

Multiple Snorts-
Brutus (& Carmen) the Frenchie(s)

Heather and Ellie said...

You really showed them who is the master of agility in your class! Talk about a great action shot. You go, Mango man.

I've set up a fan for Cheyenne because it's so hot and humid and somehow our house can NOT stay cooler than outside. Cheyenne seems moderately fond of it, mostly I just set it in front of her crate where she has to sleep at night.

Sue said...

It's a good thing we have lots of air conditioning vents in this house because the dogs each like to lie on top of one to cool off. Big Tsar just stays in the cool basement till the temperature goes down.

Stay cool, guys.
The Porties

Benny and Lily said...

Oh Mango... Thank you for all your updates. Sorry to hear about your friend Rocky. No matter what, we doubt you will ever lose your Mangoness. Those school pictures crack us up
Benny & Lily

Those Elgin Pugs said...

Hey 'deres Big Me's!!!!

It's yous little selfs!!!! SNORTS!!

Wells I's so glads 'dat 'dey founds Rocky Balboa's!! What a relief's!!

Nows,
I's so sad to hears 'bout yousa others Rocky friends Squirrel Man!! May he's rest in peace. Did yous trys everythings for him's!! Mouts to snouts?? I's sures yous did!! Did yous try to sticks garlics unders his nose?? Sometimes 'dose squirrels just pretends to play sleeps to infiltrates 'dere ways into 'da homesteads to gets foodables!!
We11s, looks at it's this ways...
do yous watchs cartoons.. Huh?? Do's yous?? Wells 'members 'da Flinstones and Fred had 'dat friend 'dat no ones saws butt hims...yous knows...'dat little green mans 'dat called him dumb dumbs...
whats be's his names?? Oh yeahs...Gazoo!! Yousa heavens squirrel can be yousa Gazoo!!
Just tinks of the fun!! 'da tricks yous can play on Big Adventures!!

O.K. nows for da class!! Good jobs!! Nevers lets 'dem under estimates 'da Mango. Make 'um tink yous a little slows... fur nows - butt 'dens go in for the big finale! I's know yous game plans!!
Oh's and Yousa a Tula are goods together!!
Stay cool and I's glads yous like me's suggestions to tires out Big Adventures!!
Laters Big me's!!
Anakin Man

Two Pitties in the City said...

I imagine this heat must be quite bad for you now. It's great you have your own personal fan for your cave, and I'm guessing limited movement and conservation of energy might help as well.

Ms. ~K said...

That won't work for us!
Nardless in Georgia,
Zack and Buddy

Sassy is still in shock from the video!

Dennis the Vizsla said...

hello mango its dennis the vizsla dog hay wow luk at that littel dust mop dog go!!! zoom zoom zoom stop!!! ok bye

brooke said...

Man oh man Mango! That video! Oooi! I do appreciate your mommas modesty screen with the paper. That was quite kind of her!

houndstooth said...

I thought that was a great recall! Remember, that school is also to help your mom get exercise, too. You can't just let her stand around striking poses like Madonna! You've got to make her work it!

I hope you don't end up with frostbite on your nards. I think that would turn out to be rather painful! Just something to think about!

Bunny

Droopy and Callie said...

Hey Mango!

That's a great way to stay cool. We like to lay on our bellies when momma turns the ceiling fan on.

Skool looks like loads of fun although all that hot stickiness has to miserable!

Lots of slobber,
Droopy and Callie

3 doxies said...

Oh my gawd, shouldve read da sign that aid fur MATURE audiences...that be too much fur da Puddles....hehehehe.
Skool is sooo overratd!!!
Oh and your mom cracks me up fur some reason...eheheehhee.

Those Elgin Pugs are INSANE, where they comes up with such craftiness?

Puddles

Kira The BeaWootiful said...

Wooos Mango Man! where to start, the video of your nerds well... interesting, I guess, kind of disturbing... but interesting.. I will ponder that fur a while while Mum has nightmares....
Good job at school, it is always harder outside where it is hot, Mum never makes me do agility outside, because I am a husky and I like to run away... too boring anyway, give me air conditioning!!!
~husky kisses~
-Kira The BeaWootiful

Marjie said...

Well, you're doing just great in Graduate Skool, and Miss Tula will not long resist your charms, for sure. And that Anakin Man, he has some grand ideas. Yuh, you saw the picture of me driving Patrick's truck to get the Christmas tree, because he was just being a dope, right?

Drools,
Thor

mayziegal said...

Norwood can really and truly talks out of his heinie? Wow!

Good job on your skool. I don't thinks it's very fair to plant good-smelling humans in the middle of the road when you're doing a recall. It's Most Tricky and how can you calls yourself a dog if you don't stop and check out turkey treats? Crazy!

I'm very much happy that Rocky the Dog was found and so very much sad that Rocky the Squirrel is now hiding nuts at the Rainbow Bridge. He was awful cute - for a squirrel.

Wiggles & Wags,
mayzie

dewdana said...

PB on the tail... must try that... outside though! Nice job keeping cool he he very R rated! Whatever works eh?

Heather and Pumpkin said...

Congrats on your second week of school and hot dogs. I am so impressed with your increased brain doings.

Do you know we have the very same harness? Believe it or not I only wear the second smallest size. If we go for a walk together we will be one of those annoying couples who match their outfits.

xoxo
Pumpkin

♥♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥♥ said...

Hey Mango, maybe you could get Mom to put a bucket of ice at your nards end and then that blast would be even cooler:)

We so understand the need for cool temps - we don't venture outside until after 7:00 at night, except for a quick peestop and then zoom back inside.

Woos - Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

Dory and the Mama said...

What a great post Mango...so much fun and cooling off going on!!

Smileys & Snuggles!
Dory, Bilbo and Jacob

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

Oh what a great time you had with Tula and Norwood. You are getting pretty good at the "lazing in the shade" moves..
Mom sure has some great tips to try...

Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

Cinnamon said...

I am glad that Rocky is home now!

Oh, you have been working very hard! It's great to have a pal who is working hard on problems similar to mine. I always appreciate your encouragement!

Also, I can't believe that it is so hot up there! It gets really cold in the morning here, so Mum and I have morning walks a few hours later than usual, after it gets a little warmer.

Love,
Cinnamon

the booker man said...

mango,
i'm still trying to revive my big sis asa after we watched your video! egads, dude!!
*woof*
the booker man

Laura, Lance, and Vito said...

sounds like a super great class again!!! That recall looks kinda tricky so don't get too hard on yourself Mango.

Khyra And Sometimes Her Mom said...

Your nards...

My huzzy...

What a pair plus one!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra
PeeEssWoo: We really need to take up a khollekhtion to get Rocky to The Tula Monstah!

Asta said...

Mango
I m sowwy about youw little Wocky fwiend..i hope he is getting lots of nummew nuts in heaven. thank dog that Big Wocky finally twusted the hoomans and got founded..i was vewy wowwied fow him .
I can't believe you'we taking excewcise in this weathew..the lying awound in the sof tw gwass in the shade sounds good though..I think Tula is gowgeous and would be THE pawfect giwlfwiend fow you
smoochie kisses
ASTA

Lorenza said...

Hi, Mango!
Well... at least a very important part of you stays cool, right?
What an idea from Anakin Man!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Kasha The Dainty Great Dane said...

Hi Mango,

Great day at skool...I'm impressed you can stay awake for that long....I'm only good for about 20 minutes of skook at a time then I'm exhausted...just curious how old is the Mango these days?

AARF Kasha the Dainty Great Dane

Fiona, as typed by Dr. Liz said...

Teehee. I think the censors got the better part of your video. But being the little kids that we are, we giggled, anyway. As for school?!? Yeah, um, Mom has started Abby back in Remedial Puppy School (I guess Abby hasn't figured out how to be a puppy yet), and I guess they spent all hour walking around a parking lot with Mom hiding behind cars. Actually, Abby spent Most of the hour walking around the parking lot. She spent some of the time lying in the shade next to the water dish. There are rumors that I'm supposed to do this same walking around the parking lot while Mom hides behind cars (it is supposed to help my 'recalls' - sure...). Alas, no fancy agilities for me.

*kissey face*
-Fiona (and Abby the Mutant Puppy)

Dog Foster Mom said...

Good job on the agility stuff Mango - it must be tricky to fit yourself through that very small hoop!

The Two Country Poodles & Uncle Puppy said...

Great Agilities! OH Mango your movie is quite....Oh my!!!


Wags and Licks,
Mollie Jo & Bobo

Böbe said...

You look lovely at the agility ring!

The Army of Four said...

Do you get to go out for ice cream after school? It only seems fair.
Play bows,
Zim

Niamh said...

School in the heat is just too hard. I thought your recall was excellent though. I was not allowed to view your movie as Barbara thought that it would make me even more flirty than usual.

Your friend,
Niamh

The 'splorin' Wolfies said...

lovin on the nards video

Stanislaw said...

Did you Be Have for a whole HOUR?! Are you serious? How many hot dog calories did that require? Man, I'm exhausted just trying to understand it.

Marvin -The Hollow Hound said...

dear dog, I am in total admiration of your behaviour.......a whole hour.........goodness me, precious sleeping time.

It has been hot here, I am mostly sleeping in the dust by the bins, most pleasing to my Jeannie!!!!!

lotsalicks, Marv xxxxxxx

Kari in WeHo said...

super cool on the school stuff :)

The Thuglets said...

Mango...phew that schcool thingie looks tiring but we (the boys here) have to say Miss Tula is some incentive!!! Steam in there boy!
Sorry to hear about little Rocky-but were sure he's having a good time in squirrel heaven.

The air con looks like a good way to what we would say "get a draught up yer kilt".

Stay cool!

Big Nose Pokes
The Thuglets

Stella, Gunther and Betty said...

Mango, keeping the nards cool must be very high on the priority list! BOL!

Great job at school big buddy. We're proud of ya.

Love,
Stella, Gunther and Betty

doyle and mollie said...

oh you are lucky to have nards to cool love & licks

NORWOOD UNLEASHED said...

Dudes where r ya! It's cooled off and I hope your no longer flaunting those hot nuts around.
norwood
PS... see one of you in skool

twinkietinydog said...

Hey, between furiends: my recall sucks too, but that's only because I pretend that A. I can't hear well and if that doesn't work B. my little leg is sore (BOL)
As for the matching Mango and Tula photo with the rear showing... soul-mates?
Twinkie

ocmist said...

We, too, were very happy to hear that Rocky had been found and was back on track for a good home! We are so sorry that you lost a furiend, even if it was a squirrel... I'm sure his Mom loved him and hurts at his loss. He's probably up there teasing my Mama Mist.

You are doing awesome in school, too, and we are so glad that you are even able to concentrate with that gorgeous Tula tushy running around distracting you.

Anakin had some really good ideas, but Papa thought that one about PB between the eyes was mean and then Grammy had to stop him from doing that to Gimli so Pippin could laugh at him.

We are glad that you gave a heads up about the x-rated vid so we could send the young ones out of the room. Wouldn't want them to go into a deep depression after just losing theirs... OC

Honey the Great Dane said...

Oh Mango - I'm so sorry my human's been busy and not been able to help me visit you - but this was worth waiting for!! I love all your posts about your new school - it's so nice to see you out and about, doing exciting new things!! Although I do share your feelings about the hot weather. I'm pretty zombie like too - and I saw in the video how you're just like me - sort of panty and "can't be bothered" with anything when it's that hot. (*Although Hsin-Yi was going on about how it's really good of you to remain so calm while watching exciting cracker dog recalls). Anyway, I can't wait to hear what you get up to in school next week!!

Slobbers,
Honey the Great Dane