Saturday, September 4, 2010

School-a-pa-looza By Dexter


I am writing a kind of a long post because I have been one busy little lab, let me tell you, so settle in and get ready for an exciting read.

I also want to tell you that it appears that the wide screen movies ooze off of our post area and into the sidebar, so just click on the little YouTube in the lower right hand corner if you want to enjoy my labramovies without words on top of them. I am also going to include links for you to go to. Don't want you to miss any action.

This week, I, Dexter, went to school, not one, not two, but THREE days in a row! That's right! Three days ALL FOR ME!

It started when the RH went on the DL due to twisting his ankle playing tennis ball.

Don't worry, he is fine, but needed to ice and elevate for a couple of days, the big cry baby.






Which meant that I had to fill in for him at graduate school.

Now I know that the Relentlessly Proud to execute a down stay always has tons of photos from school. That is because he moves so slowly that momma is able to manage the flashy beast and himself at the same time.

Not me! No sir! I am Johnny, um, DEXTER, on the spot. So this is the only photo I have from school and you can see how much I am loving it.




I was hoping for some of that musical chairs and relay race action, but Trainer Dude was out sick and substitute trainer dudette made us work inside and do more traditional stuff like walkies and sitting and staying. BORING!

But I did manage to get this action video!




Then on Sunday I went to something called Nose Work Try Outs which was a short introduction to searching out stuff with your snooter. Momma says it was just to see if I would like it. Come on! Hunting? Food? Action? Of course I LOVED it and I was the best doggie in the class you can bet.

The teacher lady is an actual search and rescue human (OK, well, I think she just follows her doggie) and she works with FEMA to find missing persons. She said that BLACK labs (yes, BLACK) are some of the best natural search and rescue doggies around.

Well, given my proud heritage of champion hunting dogs AND the fact that I am BLACK and a LAB, you can imagine how well I did.

Look at me! I am watching trainer lady hide the foodables and try to fool me by shaking up all the boxes.


HOLD ME BACK! This is great! Trainer lady said it was OK for me to tug because I should be totally focused on the hunt. No problem!




And we're off! I can sniff and run at the same time. Check out momma! She had to actually RUN to keep up with me. Pant, pant, pant, gasp, gasp.




Sorry for the bottom shot. Hehehe.

You won't see it in the movie, but on my last run the boxes were all closed, but I knew which one had the food and opened it myself. Nommy! Liverwurst!





Master came along and took a movie of me testing my hunting skills.




Momma is always surprised how big I look next to her. Well, I am considered a large dog. She just has mastiff vision from looking at the Relentlessly Huge all the time.

And guess what? I convinced her to sign me up for nose work school (but it doesn't start until October which is a really long time to wait).

Then, on Monday I went to agilities! I suppose to say I was having an "off" night would be putting it mildly as momma claims I was completely cracker and I spent some considerable time here during class.



Note from Momma: Dexter only goes in the crate when I am walking the course as he does not have a good stay, especially when he is all amped up to do his agility.

But it really isn't ALL my fault. Check this out. She doesn't even know where I am let alone where the next obstacle is (and is she still wearing the same outfit? Apparently being on vacation means never having to change your clothes - stinky).




I will admit to missing some, well, ALL, of my contacts.





But once momma figured out the course, we did much better.





And it was totally exhausting having to do extra obstacles on my own while momma tried to figure out what number comes after 10...





Here is my agility movie. I will say that a nice lady filmed it for me and this was early in the class. I did not want to impose on her too much so no footage of my much better runs towards the end.








Momma says we might have to "take a break" from agilities and go to dumb good dog attention school instead. I'm not sure why I can't do both. In fact I think I should go to school every day. No reason momma can't sneak out from work while she is supposed to be on a pointless conference call. Just get a blue tooth ear thingie and take the call at agilities. Sob.

Dexter done!


P.S. I got an award just for ME from that cool BT, Mack! It is the Dead Cow Parts award and it means the recipient means more than all the dead cow part noms. Thanks, Mack, I think.


There are no rules for this award, but I am going to pass it along to my favorite labrapal, MOOSE and of course my cougar, RANDI (whom I miss a lot)!

32 comments:

The Paw Relations said...

Wow Dexter! I am impressed at the amount of schooling you have had. It certainly looks like lots and lots of fun! ~ Shen

Mack said...

Dexter, You are one smart dude! Glad you liked the award!

Jen said...

Dexter is one smart labradog! Well done!!! Sophie still wants to play the agilities but that wiggly bum of hers is a problem on things like the dog walk; I got worried she would fall off if she wiggled too much thereby hurting herself even worse. So now it's just the other two and let me tell you, training the Jack is not sooo easy!!

Anyway, well done on the nosework; I am working on getting a session going here in Saskatoon so my fav labragirl can play!

Jen and the Black Dog Crew

Minna Krebs said...

Whoa Dexter! Once you finish Snooter Skool are you gonna go to work on one of them CSI shows?? I hope so, my momma loves watching all them true crime shows (when I can tear her away from da Real Housewives)

I hear that some doxins do da Agilities....butt I not sure I believe it. I would be very much intimidated to be running da obstacles in a class with a pro like you!

MinnaK

Minna Krebs said...

Oh, I forgots.....your poor mom is gonna be mortified that YOU pointed out for all of BlogLand to see....that her was recycling da clothes from da day before.

Before you said that, I was thinking it was just her Dog Skool uniform! BOL!

MinnaK

Peppy Sheppys said...

Dexter,

With all that schooling you must have your PhDog by now! Good grief! Our ma ape was most impressed with your agilities and has high hopes that cracker dog OBST can do the same.

But we were most alarmed at the absence of RH. Nordude shared this with us: http://www.mangothedog.com/ We have come to the conclusion that RH has been bitten by baby Edgar and has shrunk considerably in size, especially in the legular region, and now he has gone into hiding rather than show his corgified self.

Ethel Jean.

Busby and Raymond said...

The agility video cracked us up. How did you manage to turn around and come out of the same end of the tunnel that you went in? Your Mom looked very confused. Then that poor cracker dog golden retreiver at the end of the video, wow. Showing how bad that dog messed up made your runs look good!

Have a great weekend Dexter, RH and family!

achieve1dream said...

Sheesh Dex are you trying to give your mom a stroke in that agility movie?? Naughty boy. :) I laughed out loud when that Golden jumped up on the table. You are sooooooo much better behaved than that naughty dog hehehe. I was impressed by your skills in the tunnel turning around halfway through lol!

I think you would make a very good S&R dog. You have the drive and awesome skills for that. :)

I was also proud of you for being the demo dog! What an honor! Boy do you have that instructor fooled hehehe! You week would have been the best if swimming could have fit into it somehow. Man I'm exhausted after reading that post. :)

Priscilla said...

Dexter,

You're such a clever boy and I'm truly impressed by the schools you've attended. It's amazing and I can see that you're very hard working too.

Oh your videos made me laugh so hard that tears rolled in my eyes!!!

Khyra And Sometimes Her Mom said...

Do woo evfah stop being khrakhkerdog?

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Randi said...

AWWWWWW!

Dexter! My Little Cublet! Thank you so much for the lovely award..."More that Dead Cow Parts"...wow...I'm completely & UTTERLY honored!

I'm sorry I've been so MIA since my Monkey Stick Brother came home...He's a big huge time suck...

Kisses for my sweet Cutlet!

Love & Licks,
Randi

JulieandCaleb said...

Oh my goodness, Dexter! Caleb does Nose Work too! He absolutely loves it, in part because there are NO obedience rules to be found when doing Nose Work! Just lots and lots of searching for delicious foodables! We just started searching the exterior of vehicles this week! So exciting! I'm sure you will LOOOOOVE Nose Work!

Laura, Lance, and Vito said...

What an exciting post today!!! I can't wait to hear about your nosework class. Dogs just love doing that stuff!

He is so excited about agility too! I know I've mentioned it before, but I still really think you should teach him a stopped contact performance. A 2ft on 2ft off would ensure that he hits the contact everytime and give you time to catch up. It seems to me that the instructor just has you guys managing the contacts instead of really teaching them a performance. Even doing running contacts needs a ton of daily training to teach the dog proper striding.

Mimi and CC Cabana said...

Ha! I loved the agility video. Perfection is so overrated.

The breeding director at Guide Dogs for the Blind would agree with your teacher lady. More black Labs make it through as service dogs than their yellow counterparts. I guess it has to do with black genes being dominant, so they tend to be stronger and smarter.

Samantha said...

Wow Dexter: three classes - you are one smart pupper to do all that! I did some tracking for two late Autumns and loved it - I bet you'd be totally awesome at that - or... search and rescue? Boring obedience, it's true is... sorta boring, until one day, ya get part of it and it's quite a happy moment. For Mom, at least heheh! Hope your bro feels better soon. Have a good holiday weekend!
Hugs xoxoxo
Sammie and gang

houndstooth said...

Dexter, you've got some amazing moves! I'm totally impressed!

Your mom might like the book called Scent Of The Missing. My dad is reading it and Mom's waiting for him to get done. It's about a lady who has a search and rescue dog and some of the adventures they've been on.

Bunny

Marjie said...

Easy on the RH there, dude. It's easy to injure the ankles playing tennis when you're a really full sized doggie like us. Good for you getting his school time. Hope you all have a good weekend with Momma and Master at home.

Drools,
Thor

chicamom85 said...

Wow Dexter, you are awesome. I am going to take a nap now after watching you. I hope Mango is feeling better. Kisses to both of you.

licks and sniffs, Sasha

♥♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥♥ said...

Dexter, you need to get Mom to take more vacations - three fun classes in one week - you are one lucky pup. AND we think you did a great job even if you tricked her with the reverse tunnel move:)

Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

Eric said...

Crickey Dexter you are one smart crackerdog.High fives to you dude. Neat movie of you doing the smell test though next time can you post with smell o vison too? Just for the school. Not the poop removals...

Wiry loves

Lorenza said...

Dexter!
Sure you have been busy!
I can see you made your own agility course! Good job!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Oskar said...

What a super fun week. I loved watching how Labrasmart you are!

Nubbin' wiggles,
Oskar

Martine said...

Loved all your videos Dexter!! We are anxiously awaiting more of the snooter classes, looks neat!

Sue said...

Dexter, just reading your post tired our mom. She says you're in so many activities that she can hardly keep track of them all. Maybe you mom got confused on the course because you were moving so fast and in so many different directions. Slow down, dude.
Morgan, Tsar and the Porties

Sarge said...

Hey Dexter! I'm very impressed with your athletic moves. Very good training. Mom tells me all the time that I really need some corrective education. Not sure what that means, but I don't think it's good. Anyway, love the pix of your agile self. Say hi to the Relently Huge for me.
Grr and Woof,
Frankie Furter's Cousin Sarge

Roo said...

Dexter! Looks like you were havin a blast :) I'm gonna have to try the hunt for food in a box thing. Is that like takin down the pizza delivery guy?

Thinkin I could be really good at this,
Roo

PeeS: 10 + 1 = 11 (big toothy smile)

tula said...

sorry dex woo lost me on that last video.. between your momma spinning around looking fur woo and woo jumping up, around down, and thru.. got this MONSTAH confused!

but woo are furry entertaining in grad skool. it was like live labratv in HD the whollleee time!

hope your doggie cave is looking good.. and not too girlie.

c ya,
tula

Maggie and Mitch said...

You are such a smart boy, Dexter! We just loved your crackerdog agility video!

Love ya lots
Maggie and Mitch

Moose said...

Dexter! Thanks for award! I would be blushing if, you know, black labradogs could blush! Your agilities looked most excellent to me. Momma is thinking I should go to nose work school because my nose works great. If I am out in the back yard and Momma opens the fridge and gets my dinner out I can smell it the minute she opens the door even though I am all the way outside. If she opens the door and calls me any other time I might saunter inside but if she calls me after she has 'secretly' made my dinner I come runnin' all cracker dog! I totally believe us BLACK labbies are the best at that kinda thing!

Kari in WeHo said...

you're so busy you are making me tired!


-Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com

Fiona, as typed by Dr. Liz said...

Wow! Sounds like you could make an excellent avalanche doggie (they find people who have been buried in avalanches). Of course, you'd have to move to someplace where they actually have avalanches, but I bet you'd be great - and I know that black doggies are frequently used because they, well, stand out against the white snow. I'm just saying...

*kissey face*
-Fiona and Abby the Hippobottomus

ocmist said...

WOW! This was such a long and interesting post for us. We LOVED it and it got us excited and wanting to join you out there. Grammy says that it reminded her about Great-Grandma Mist and Grandma OC because she had taught them to "Find it" and search things out all over. She'd forgotten about that, and now she says she might start teaching us how to do that, too, so THANK YOU, THANK You, Thank you! Cause we LOVE to learn new things... especially as that always involves training treats!

We shall have to try to keep on reminding her, though as she's been SO BUSY this past week or so and will be for another week or two. That's why she's only let us do picture posts mostly lately. :( The CCC