Thursday, November 25, 2010

How I Came to My Furever Home - by Dexter


Dexter here!

Today I am thankful to have a soft bed, tennis balls, good food (although never enough), a wonderful estate, and of course momma who always is helping me learn new things and stretch my mental energy and Master who plays tennis ball the best.





And believe it or not, I am thankful for my big brother, the Relentlessly Huge. He isn't such a bad guy and I feel very happy that I can help protect him from the seizure monster who has not returned.


It seems that lots of doggies are posting about where they came from. Me? I never met my dad, but I came from a nice family of labradogs at a place called Nightwind Labradors. I think my dog mommy kind of picked my dog daddy up at one of those dog show places and he lived in Maine or someplace so they had a long distance relationship.

Anyway, I really enjoyed living at the Nightwind place. There were two dog mommies at once and so there were 13 of us pups all playing together with our mommas and aunties and uncles.

One day, when we were just four weeks old, dog mommy said that some people were going to visit so that we could interview them and see if we wanted to go and live with any of them. I found this movie that records the day and it has my dog mommy in it! She is big and blond and beautiful like Miss Sophie. I am not sure which pup is me.





All the people were very nice and after they left, dog mommy sat us all down and told us what life would be like with the different families. She said some of us could be show dogs if we wanted and some of us could be hunting dogs like her. That hunting stuff sounded good to me.

But then she told us that there were two people who were actually not looking for a puppy for them, but were acting as agents for a doggie who was looking for a pal. She said that the doggie was very sad because when he was less than one year old his Grandpa Angus the Airedale had crossed over the Rainbow Bridge and then a year later his big sissy, Beautiful Raja, had also crossed over and now he was an only dog.

Mommy said that this dog was lonely and really needed a friend to cheer him up. She said the doggie mostly lay around the house and didn't even really want to play too much with his momma. But she also warned us that he was a very big doggie and if one of us went to live with him, we would have to be ready to be mindful of his hugeness. In return, whatever pup went to this big dog's house would have a nice yard to play in, take long walks, go to agilities, have a soft couch to sleep on, and a best doggie friend.

Oh yeah, she also said that the people who lived with this doggie had never lived with a labradog before so they might not be sure what to expect. Finally she cautioned us that to live in this house would require being very confident but also respectful.

Well, I have to say, that sounded just too good to pass up (I mean any doggie can go to shows or go hunting, right?) and I raised my little paw and said, "I choose them!"

So a few weeks later, the people came back and bundled me in a warm blanket. I rode in a car next to the man's chest where I could feel his heartbeat and I was very calm.

But... I never expected to find THIS at my new house!








Honestly, I wasn't entirely convinced at first that what I was seeing was an actual dog because he was RELENTLESSLY HUGE!

He seemed a bit confused by me as well.






He said his name was Mango, which I think is actually a fruit, not a dog, but I wasn't in any position to point that out to him

He let me in his house and showed me his toys.




And it turned out that he was actually a really cool guy! I can't say that we were best pals from the start because when I first moved in, the big guy yelled at me a lot because I didn't know the rules.

But pretty soon, he was teaching me the ropes...

How to pee outside...



How to enjoy a nice sun bake...





How to bitey face (The movie is kind of long, but towards the middle you will hear Mango making strange sounds. Hearing those sounds did make me question whether or not he really was a doggie - and our first monkey is in it - I accidentally beheaded the monkey shortly after the movie was made).




Oh yeah! He also taught me how to look fierce! ARRRRRR!


Sometimes I admit I was a little bit afraid of him; especially when he tried to get into my bunker with me...



But I have to say that Mango has proven to be a great brother and I really like living here!



Plus Momma lived up to her promises too and I get to go on nice long walkies, sleep on the couch, and go to agilities classes. And you know what? Mango secretly told me that he likes me too and he is much happier with me around than when he was an only doggie.


Dexter Done!


P.S. Poor Mango is trying to find photos of where he came from. Now I really love the big old guy and hate to burst his bubble, but I think he is going to have to go to the natural history museum to find his dog mommy or daddy, because...






Well, we all know that he may think he is a doggie, but he is actually a mutant dinosaur sized beastie!



37 comments:

Priscilla said...

Hi Dexter, we love your story! Isn't it great to have such a big giant brother to be your protector when you were a lil boy? By the way, as you're a big boy or MAN now, you're protecting him from the seizure monsters lately! You did a great job, Dex! Because of you, the monster is away now!

Mack said...

Dex, Your mom was BLONDE? Like Paris??? Oh my.....
And what a nice lady she was, giving you advice and all. When I finally got my furrever home my doggy mom was all like "Finally!".
But anyhoo, we really enjoyed your story and all the puppy pics!
Happy Thanksgiving!

Tom, Tama-Chan, Sei-Chan and Bibi-Chan said...

Wonderful story, Dexter!

Wishing you all a HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Gus said...

That's a great story Dexter, and we are sure glad you found your family. You are up to the challenges and doing a great job.

gussie

Lola said...

Dexter, I think you made the right choice. You are loved and appreciated in your home and now you have a whole new job and we know that labradudes like to have jobs to do. Not everydog can be a seizure dog but you clearly have the talent. All in all, it sounds like you and your pack are another case of the right family and the right doggy coming together. Those are the best stories ever.

Happy Thankgiving to you all.

lotsa licks, Lola

Maggie Mae said...

Dexter,

Mom and me just luvs your story! All of us have so much to be thankful for!

Happy Thanksgiving Everybodys!

Woofs and Licks,
Maggie Mae

Molly,Taffy and Monty said...

Dexter we really enjoyed reading how you came to live with Mango.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Molly, Taffy and Monty

The Thuglets said...

Dexter..we fink your story of how you came to live with Mango (and your momma)to cheer him up was brilliant!

We love the photo of you and Mango on the steps.

You have grown into such a handsome young chappie.

Happy Thanks giving

Big Nose Pokes
The Thugletsx

Zona said...

Just when I thought your photos couldn't get any cuter you post these!! OMD these are the bestest!!!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Wags,
Zona

The Paw Relations said...

What a great story Dexter!

Happy Thanksgiving

Those Elgin Pugs said...

OMD!!!!!! LOVE THE PHO-TOES!!!
hu hu's... me's normals don't say OMD... me sissy's say 'dat stuff - it's gurly.. butt dose pho-toes of big me's next to yous big adventures are super funnies!!!

Me is cool wits yous bro...like twins and stuff... besties.. butt me did likes yous stories..

Mommy likes yous pho-toe header..
Happy Tanksgivings!!

Laters,
Mini Me's and hold on...
IzZY, Josie and TriXie (howdy)

♥MONA + MOMMY TOO♥ said...

Happy Thanksgiving Dexter and Mango. What a wonderful story Pee Wee. You are the so wonderful to be taking care of Mango with his siezure problem too.

I heard you was having dindin in the barn today. Is there room for me under the table. I could help you keep the floor clean if and scrapes hit the floor.

{{{huggies}}}...Mona & Mommy too!!

rottrover said...

Dexter - what a wonderful story! You've been taking care of the RH since the beginning! And as far as finding the right humans to live with: SCORE!!

Happy Thanksgiving Dex, Mango and Momma!

The Rottens

giantspeckledchihuahua said...

Ha! and I thought Dexter looked small in the other post! Thoe videos are awesome! As is the picture of Mango being hatched!

rescuedinsanity.com said...

Awww, Dexter, you were so cute and little! Now you're still cute but definitely not small. Even though Mango may not always show it, I'm sure he's glad you are around.

Niamh said...

Dexter,

We know that Mango says rude things about you all the time, but you were the perfect puppy to come live with him. We always enjoy reading about your adventures.

Your friends,
Niamh & Ambrose

Maggie and Mitch said...

What a great story, Dexter, and we know that Mango is much happier having you as a brother than being an only furchild!
Enjoy your Thanksgiving dindin in Master's barn!

Love ya lots
Maggie and Mitch

3 doxies said...

Wells I swanny look at da baby Dexter...you was so precious, like squeezable precious!
I don't usually admit this but, Brudder Albert is my best Bud even though I do likes to make fun of him and stuffs. So, I thinks we may just haves da same sibling stuffs goin on...hehehe!

Puddles

Laura, Lance, and Vito said...

yay for puppy pictures!

Kira said...

OK, this is the best thing I've read in a long long time!

I especially like this bit:

"He said his name was Mango, which I think is actually a fruit, not a dog, but I wasn't in any position to point that out to him"

Murphy will have to post about where he comes from soon. He is Canadian-American :)

Kira

twobarkingdogs said...

Hey PeeWee! We sure are lucky dogs, aren't we? Happy Thanksgiving from your Labrafriends - Clover and Cosmo

The Life of Riley said...

Oh Dexter - thank you for your post. I had never thought before about how tiny you were when you met the massive Mango, so I loved seeing your puppy photos with him.

Have a great Thanksgiving, and I hope you get some food treats!

Woofs,
Riley

Carol from Down Under said...

Hi Dexter. Boy oh boy. You were so cute. I want a puppy! Mango looked even more huge than usual when you were so small. The funny 'wookie' noise Mango made when you were playing bitey face is exactly what Brucey made when playing with Tyler. Thanks for this story. You are one lucky dog. No worries, Carol.

Kari in WeHo said...

What a great story Dex!

Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com/

Peppy Sheppys said...

Oh Dexter! What a wonderful story. It made our ma ape leak to see what a great pair you have. Your momma sure loves you guys! We can't wait to see the trip to the Natural History Museum for the Evolution of Mango!

Sheps w/Pep, Otis & Edgrr

Pepsi Bum said...

Hi Dexter! What a wonderful story! Sure got me laughing about Mango being a dinosaur.

Woofs,
Pepsi

KB said...

I absolutely love the photos of you and Mango together, especially the "fierce" one. He is relentlessly huge and you are relentlessly tiny (but not anymore!). Seeing Mango trying to get in your bunker made me laugh!

Mango hatching from an egg was priceless!

The Island Cats said...

Dexter, we enjoyed the story of where you came from. And we love those pictures of baby you with Mango!!! He does look a little like a dinosaur, doesn't he??!?

Barbara said...

Dexter, I don't think I've ever seen cuter pictures than those ones with you and Mango. You must have been very brave not to be afraid of that great big dog!!! What a great story and glad to hear Mango's monster hasn't come back!

Ms. ~K said...

Such a wonderful story Dexter!
We're all thankful for our hoomans for sure!
Licks and sniffs,
Zack, Sassy and Buddy

Lorenza said...

We know your story since the first day, Dexter!
I remember when you were a super duper little puppy!
Happy Thanksgiving!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Khyra And Sometimes Her Mom said...

Skhwee!
Skhwee!!
Skhwee at The Baby Pea!!!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra
PeeEssWoo: SO, how is The DOH doing NOW?

Sapphire said...

Mango! sure it was a huge egg! so Dex, now that you've grown, have u told Mango that he's actually a fruit? ;p

brooke said...

Dexter! Great story! You were so tiny compared to Mango! So funny! That video was so cute!

Mango, I read about the seizure monster! Im so sorry to hear about that! Im glad to hear he hasnt come back soon and I hope he stays away!

Dennis the Vizsla said...

Let the Wookie win.

Texas The Doxie said...

Hey dats a cool story! I would have been sooooo scared of Mango when I was dat age! Not any more nows.
I am part Labradog too! Cept the other part of me is Goldendog.
~Pompei
Guide Pup in Training

Honey the Great Dane said...

Hee! Hee! Dexter - sorry I'm only catching up with you now but it was worth the wait!! :-) Loved your story!

Slobbers,
Honey the Great Dane