Monday, February 28, 2011

Mango Momma Monday Book Review




Mango momma here with my periodic book review.

I usually get my books from the library because;

  1. It is less expensive
  2. I am in constant danger of having purchased books overwhelm the estate and
  3. I can be more daring since I have no compulsion to finish a library book I don't like
But about once a quarter, I splurge at Amazon and buy actual books and this time I hit the jackpot.


First up, the latest in the Dexter series, Dexter is Delicious, by Jeff Lindsay





Alert readers will note that I am a big Dexter fan, hence the Pea's given name (used now primarily for formal introductions and training). Although the TV show is great, the books are much better. While the TV soft pedaled two of the best plot lines (the fate of Doakes and the true nature of Cody and Astor) it is still pretty good. But the books rock. This one was, however a bit weak in the end. Still worth reading if for nothing else, then to enjoy the author's turn of phrase and to learn new HBO phrases from Dexter's sister, Deb. If you haven't read a Dexter book yet, start at the beginning, Darkly Dreaming Dexter. Even if you've seen the TV show, there is so much more in the books to enjoy. Thumbs up.




Next, Grave Sight by Charlaine Harris. She wrote the Sookie Stackhouse books on which the show True Blood is based. I like that show, but haven't read the books.

It took me a while to get into this one, but once I did, it was great. Yeah, I had the plot figured out far too soon, but I kept reading because the characters drew me in and I wanted to find out what happened to them. I did find the relationship between the brother / sister main characters a little unsettling, but what the heck? The premise took a bit getting used to, but pretty soon I was believing it and wondering what it would be like to have the "gift" of finding dead people. Yup, I will get the rest of the series. Thumbs up.



Best for last. This one has been languishing on my wish list for ages because I honestly thought it would be a stinker, don't know why. It is Dog on It by Spencer Quinn.

A dog mystery, my favorite combination. Wowee! Thank goodness there are already two more books in the series for me to check out. Chet is the author and he is total dog. Mr. Quinn has faithfully transcribed what I suspect are actual dog thoughts. Chet barks and growls without thinking. He forgets what happened two minutes ago. He loves food and his humans. Little touches, like eating golf balls because it is fun and then gacking them up really endeared me to Chet. I will warn you that some of the parts are kind of scary (well, lots of parts actually) and I had to keep reading past bedtime in order to make sure Chet was OK (idiot, of course he was OK, there are two more books in the series - but I was so worried about him nonetheless). The mystery is really secondary as I was eager to hear what Chet was going to think next. He even has a blog you can read here (although I did find the blog a bit disappointing). TWO THUMBS WAY UP!

In fact I liked these books so much, that I will send them to a randomly selected alert reader who leaves a comment by March 2nd that they are interested (all three go to one reader - U.S. domestic only).

In other news, we keep getting more snow (grr, grr, grr). Just enough to be annoying. Here is what the yard looked like at sunrise yesterday. Time to shovel the deck.... again!

I have, indeed, started jog / walking Mango and it appears to be making his back end move more evenly. He is quite game for it most of the time and of course the exercise doesn't hurt me any (although I will be glad when I can do it in sneakers instead of winter boots). The Pea is attending daycare twice each week as his retrieving button seems to have broken over the winter and he refuses to return the ball, forcing me to slog through snow that will not support my weight - bad dog, bad dog. Thus, our usual "play tennis ball until you drop" activities have been curtailed pending the big melt.

Dexter has gotten the hang of the therapy ball, sort of. Will try and get a movie of that soon.

And yes, I do still have the Mango Minster certificates on my to do list. Sigh...

OK, a picture of the boys since it is their blog after all. We've been working on simultaneous snuggles without Mango biting Dexter in the head and in this photo I recently removed myself from the middle. You can see Mango sizing up the hapless Pea's pointy snooter for jaws of doom insertion.



Mango Momma

P.S. I have optimistically already flipped my wall calendars to March and circled the start of daylight savings time.

42 comments:

Ludo van Doggy said...

ooh, I think I will get Mum to get that last one! She's read the True Blood books and has started to go off them so she not sure about anymore about Harris.
Hey, am I first? This making Mum get up and blog before work thing seems nifty!
~lickies, Ludo

Amber-Mae said...

Those are some great reviews! Unfortunately, my hoomie Melissa does NOT enjoy reading at all so she won't be getting any of those books for herself. Maybe I'll ask her to get the last book for me. I don't mind reading it!

Somehow Mango & Dexter don't look very amused in that last picture. HEE

Jen said...

I totally need to look those books up!! I feel a trip to the library coming on, even though my fiction reading has been downsized for the unforeseen future (pesky graduate school!).
Glad to hear that Mango is moving better!! :) And, I am right there with you in March already- happy to see Feb over!!

Hope you have a geat week!

Jen and the Black Dog Crew

AFSocksScylla said...

We shall have to give the Dexter Books a try if our local library has them.

Priscilla said...

The books sound interesting after reading your review but I don't think I'm going to get them because there are piles of books on the bedside table which I seldom touch (I'm always half dead when I crawl up to the bed), now I hope someone can read me books before I fall asleep.
That's a good shot of Mango and Dexter and I'm wondering what had happened the minute after you took the picture.

Sewmouse said...

The Dexter and the "Chet" books sound delicious. I think I will have the 2-legged slave drop by Barnes & Noble on the way home from her "work" that supplies the noms.

Kili the Cat

Gus said...

Run, don't walk to the library to get the rest of the Charlaine Harris books in that series.

They are not "great" mysteries, but she does a good job of developing the two main characters.

Barb

Amber DaWeenie said...

Mango, you has dat "what's for breakfast" look on your face!! And since you're looking straight at Dex, we know "what's for breakfast".

Amber

Khyra And Sometimes Her Mom said...

Oh the thought bubble I see above The RH!!!

My mom says those books sound furry interesting -

I wonder if she knows how to read? Maybe I khan surprise her with them!

Here's to longer days so Mom khan walk me after work - and maybe even prior to too!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Frankie Furter said...

My mom loves that Lie Berry place... they know her by NAME in the Main and Local Branches!!!

If I WIN these grrrreat sounding books... I'll give them to her fur EASTER Bunny Day!!!

Pepsi the Lazy Bum said...

Those seem like very good reads, I'll see if there are these copies in our Library here. Thanks fur the recommendations.

Woofs,
Pepsi

Dozer and Coop said...

I knew I liked you for good reasons! I am a voracious reader as well. I bought a Kindle so I could recycle most of my books and clean off shelves. The best gift my parents ever gave me was teaching me to read when I was five. Nothing better than a rainy (snowy, windy, sunny) day to sit back and read!

Love, Nancy, Dozer and Cooper's Mum

jen said...

Sounds like some good books!

Love the picture of Mango sizing up Dexter's head:)

Beans4Biscuits said...

We are HUGE Dexter fans around here. I have often thought about reading the books and after your review I will have to read them. I have always loved the story behind Doakes, now I want to know MORE!! And Cody and Astor?? The true nature??? Now I can't stand it!! The Kindle will be smoking tonight!!

Cande @ B4B

Channon said...

Dog On It is going on my reading list... whether it shows up as an e-reader option or not!

♥♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥♥ said...

Our Dad just loves Dexter, but he has never read any of those books. We will have to tell him because we bet he would enjoy reading them on his new Nook. And the Momster almost got that series of books about Dog On It, so please do enter us in your random drawing.

No more snow here, just lots of mud:(

Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

sagechronicles said...

I haven't read either of the first two, but LOVE the Chet books. I've read all three, follow him on FB and am anxiously awaiting the 4th book to come out. Fun read!!

3 doxies said...

Holy snot! My mum just had dis conversation at da gym. Lady was tellin' mum to go to da liberry to get books...mum refuses cuz her thinks they is germy (hers is a germ freak) so hers went to da bookstore and gots NUTTIN!
Now hers has your list and will go back.

Puddles

3 doxies said...

PS: I gots your foto:)

Puddles

Elyse and Riley said...

Oh my goodness...I'm like Puddles' Mom...I am a bit of a germ freak and all I can picture is people reading library books in the bathroom while they're doing number 2 and it freaks me out. And then when I see stains on a library book...gross! I REALLY need to get over this fear because there are so many great books at the library! (Trust me, I know I'm weird...!)

Anyway, we would definitely be interested in being entered into your book giveaway. :) (Just as long as you weren't doing #2 while reading these books...hehe, I kid, I kid!)

Elyse (and Riley)

pam said...

Our Mommy is a book nut like yer Momma. She's read all the books in the libary (not really but she says it's hit or miss) so she'd love these books.

Bobo and Meja

rottrover said...

Our Mom loves the idea of the Chet books. She'll power up the Kindle and download them. Right now she's re-reading Lonesome Dove for the 87th time. Something about her favorite book. Geez. There's not even any dogs in it, just pigs...

And Mango, please share your Moma with Pea. She loves you both!

-Gizmo, Bart and Ruby

Sue said...

Jogging in the snow sounds too ambitious for our Mom. Right now we have lots of mud from last night's thunder storms. That's why we're mostly staying inside today.
Morgan, Tsar and the Porties

brooke said...

Oohh I love new book recommendations! If I don't win I may have to check out that last one on my own!

Running in winter boots is a fail. Of course with my old lady knees I can't run anyway, but the thought of clunking around in my heavy boots... ugh.

Molly, Taffy, Monty and Winnie said...

WE are off to see if we can purchase the last book in the UK. Our hooman would enjoy that one.

Molly, Taffy, Monty and Winnie

Lacy said...

w00fs, the lie berry place is great..mama goes there when her puter or printer not work..me not want anymore snow,..me wants sunny days the digging in the dirt kind..

b safe,
rocky

Carol from Down Under said...

Hi Mango Momma, I think my daughter must be related to you. She is a Dexter freak. As for the people who don't get library books cause of 'germs', I would have thought that owning a dog and cleaning up slobber and poo would be enough to kill any germ related phobia. You are looking forward to March and we are not. Goodbye summer and daylight saving, boo hoo. No worries, love Carol.

Jake of Florida said...

Our Mom's been reading very very violent Lee Child mysteries -- the Jack Reacher series -- and we have no idea why because she is not a very violent person and can't stand to watch that kind of stuff on TV or in the movies.

Your three books sound like a lot more her style. But every time she starts a mystery, we get ignored like you wouldn't believe -- unless we literally hurl ourselves at her to get us dinner!!!

Wirey woofs -- March is already turned and we're looking forward to DST!!

Wirey woofs,

Jake and Just Harry

Oskar said...

My mom person loves to read so she's gonna check these out.

Poor Dexter getting stuck in the RH jaws of doom!

Nubbin wiggles,
Oskar

jskhackney said...

Mango's momma

I really hope that I am not too late for mum to get the books. She is a great reader -- when she goes to the liberry she gets 10-12 books; and she just got herself one of those e-book thingies, but can only get 5 books every 3 weeks!!! She is handicapped so reading is one of the easiest things for her

licks and wags


Cody from Tucson

Maggie and Mitch said...

Our mom tries so hard to read books but the blogs seem to be the only chapters in her "book" these days!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

I am a huge Dexter fan! But... haven't read the books!!! So great to hear they are awesome! Now, I'm so curious about the true nature of Cody and Astor.... Hmmmmmm. I may have to read that soon!

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

I am a huge Dexter fan! But... haven't read the books!!! So great to hear they are awesome! Now, I'm so curious about the true nature of Cody and Astor.... Hmmmmmm. I may have to read that soon!

JackDaddy said...

I downloaded the preview for the Dog Gone book, but never got around to reading the whole thing. Thanks for the heads-up!!

Au and Target said...

Dog Gone looks terrific. I haven't read any Dexter yet but the TV show is fun. So unusual!

Coco - The Princess said...

the photo of your back yard made my mommy want to leave me and my sisters and go back to Bedford in Master-Chew-Sits! That crazy woman was just there and the site of your back yard made her want to leave us and go back! I told her she could go ONLY if she brought me and my sisters to meet Mango!

Tail Wiggles & Puppy Kisses,

Coco The Princess, Lady Godiva & Truffle

houndstooth said...

I am so darned tired of snow I could just cry! I'm tired of wearing boots, too.

I actually have Dog On It on my nook as the next one I'm planning to read!

Scruffy, Lacie and Stanley's Place said...

Tra la la la...isn't winter the best...NOT!

To distract myself today, I sank my fangs into Mumsie's calf...no, no...didn't break the skin. Scruffy had tinkled twice down the ductwork in the laundry room today and I WANTED help her clean with the white rags. She wouldn't share, so snap. She called me an extremely bad name. Sheesch.

So sounds like Dexter is now officially the "Pea"...harumph...we used to feel guilty bout callin' him that...

As for that book 'bout Chet??? We adored it...Mumsie did read some of it outloud to Scruffy, but Stan and I read it on our own. Going to check out the library for the other two bookies...

Good luck with that snow...it will melt. Someday.

XXOO Beastie

Lorenza said...

Sure those are interesting books!
My mom says that sometimes when you start reading a good book you don't want to leave it until you finsh it!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

KB said...

The Quinn series sounds great! Thanks for alerting me to it. I love the library too.

Dexter's retrieve button is broken? This could be very serious. He is a Labrador, isn't he? Oh my, maybe he needs a lobotomy!

I love your attitude about Daylight Savings Time. Bring it on!

The Boston Lady said...

Mango Momma, I have tred lightly in the Sookie series and read a couple. My kids are big "Dexter" fans - the show, not the Pea (no offense) I couldn't get into it, but your final selection intrigues moi. Dog On It is one I haven't heard of and will investigate. I am a big reader and enjoy just about any book. Saw that one of your readers is into Lee Childs and I have been bitten by that bug lately too. The Jack Reacher series is addictive!

Between internet, cable, books and magazines it is a wonder I get anything accomplished. Not to mention my achilles heel - movies and reality TV. I am pathetic and have no excuse such as snow or bad weather. Just a curious nature... Ann TBL

ocmist said...

Grammy's not into a lot of blood and guts like the commercials seem to say about Dexter, so she's never watched it. She DOES love to read though and one of her fav series used to be the books called the Mrs. Murphy Mysteries by Sneaky Pie Brown (a cat) and Rita Mae Brown. Mrs. Murphy and the corgi, Tucker, tend to do a lot of solving the mysteries. She wasn't so crazy about a couple of turns the last two books made in a couple of regular characters, but highly recommends the first 5 books. If you saw the TV Movie they made of the first book, Grammy says to tell you the books aren't nearly as "hokey..." The CCC

PS We actually SAW snow... at least a little bit. Grammy will help us post about it soon.