Sunday, April 17, 2011

How We Got Our Names






I wasn't going to do a post today, what with all the stuff that needs to get done, but when I realized that I was almost out of time for Reilly's How Did You Get Your Name contest, I said, let's get to work! You can enter until midnight on Monday, April 18th by following the rules here.

Not to mention, it is a great excuse to post puppy pictures, always a crowd favorite.

But first, I have to show you the photo below. See those pesky turkeys? One is in our flower garden and one is totally right in the street. They are so stupid. They peck at cars and cause traffic jams all over the place.




But back to the topic at hand. Loyal readers know that I am named after the original Mango, a male stripper in possession of such overwhelming powers that all humans immediately fell victim to his charms. Kind of like me, right?


My official name was supposed to be Lord's Hill Everybody Loves Mango, but there were not enough spaces on the AKC form so it had to be shortened to Lord's Hill We All Love Mango.

And who doesn't love me, right.

Check out this rare photo from the archives of my puppy self with Grandpa Angus, Beautiful Raja, and Momma! How could you not love me?


Well, OK, Beautiful Raja did not always love me. Here she is making stern face even though I am doing my puppy best to charm her. I think she finally at least tolerated me. As I said before, no doggie can resist the power of the Mango.




Since we're looking at puppy photos, this is my most favorite. I know there are plenty more, but the DOH has had "scan in old photos" on her to do list like totally forever. Still no progress. Sigh.






As for the Pea, well, when momma and master put in their puppy reservation at the labradork store, they did not know if the puppy would be black or yellow or boy or girl. Their only requirement was that it be a pup that would not be scared of me. As if!

They totally reserved the pup before the momma even let them out of her belly. Wow!

Once all the pups came out, breeder lady said that she had a little black labradude that would be perfect. He was apparently quite bold yet easy going. So now they had to find a name.

Momma wanted to call him Little Papi after Big Papi, David Ortiz on the Boston Red Sox. Not sure why since she isn't much of a baseball fan, but there you go.






But Master put the kibosh on that one.

As luck would have it, it was about the time that the Pea came home that Momma and Master were watching the show Dexter on the DVD. I wasn't convinced that naming my new brother after a serial killer, regardless of how lovable, was a good idea, but of course I didn't get a vote.



So his official AKC name is Nightwinds Dexter in the Dark.

But you know what? He was such a tiny little runt when he came home that I called him PeeWee from the start. Look at the midget.




Not to mention annoying. I guess breeder lady knew what she was talking about because he has always been super sassy towards my large and needing respect self.





He even used me to practice his puppy agilities.





To be honest, he got called PeeWee a lot more than Dexter and eventually that got shortened to Pea which he insists is spelled like the vegetable as opposed to, well, Pee. Hehehe.

I, too, have a new name which is Bubba. Yup. I think that one speaks for itself. When we are at school or the vet or something we get called Mango and Dexter, but at home it is more often Bubba and Pea.

I have gotten used to the little guy and even kind of miss him on daycare days. We don't snuggle or anything, but I do let him touch me sometimes. Still, one does worry about the long term effects of exposure to labracooties.






Mango Man! Oh yeah!

37 comments:

Reilly / Bree said...

That was an pawsome post Mango - loved reading how you got your names and the photo's were terrific. I like the one of Dex practicing agility on you and the last one - you look like you are rubbing noses. Thanks for playing along big buddy!

Roo said...

BOL Mango! I've never heard of a dog being named after a stripper before Ha! Too funny. I don't know I'm still gonna think of you as a big juicy fruit ;)

And Dexter will always remind me of the little genius cartoon dude with a really cool lab behind his bedroom wall ;)

Fun stories! Thanks for sharin :D

Waggin at ya,
Roo

Jen said...

Hahaha, a male stripper and a serial killer! That's great!! I love hearing how pups get their names- there's often a great story behind it!

Thanks for sharing!

Jen and the BDC!

Priscilla said...

Mango, I will let you in on a little family secret.

Eva's nickname at home has been shortened from 'Puppy' (which we still use to call her) and now ... 'Pea' or 'Pee'!!!
I bet the PeeWee would be happy to hear that another dog has his nickname!

tula said...

And here i always thought woo's name was Mango king of massachewsits... at least that's what woo told me!! as fur pea-- labradorks answer to anything. (between u and me)

scratchies,
tula

Gus said...

Hey..don't worry about the nicknames. We are now "Piddle" and "Poop"

And we are excited about the dance contest too...but more to watch than participate.

gussie n teka

Samantha said...

Love your "how-you-got-names" stories!!! A very funny post with the most CHarming photos we've ever looked at! Dex - you were just sooooooo tiny compared to Mango and Mango - absolutely LOVE your puppy pix! Wonderful post!
xoxoxo
Sammie, Avalon and Oz

Mimi and CC Cabana said...

You guys were SUCH adorable little puppies! It's hard to believe that Mango was "little" once. I even forgot that PeeWee's name is really Dexter.

A litter of mastiff puppies just got adopted out of our animal shelter. I'll have to get some photos of them.

giantspeckledchihuahua said...

Love the puppy pix and the stories! The size contrast between Mango with Dexter, as a puppy,never ceases to amaze me.

When I was delivering mail I was attacked by wild turkeys three times!

Ina in Alaska said...

Sweet post. As a Yankee fan, even I love Boston's Big Papi, he is such a great guy and a wonderful slugger... (actually I like many of the Red Sox).....you may know one of our dogs is named Jeter....

In the older picture I can see you have greatly improved the back door deck! Happy memories.

Ms. ~K said...

Great post...love those puppie pictures!
xoxo

Channon said...

Most awesome post. I'd forgotten about the content honestly, but now I have to enter, because Gretchen too isn't registered with what I consider her REAL name because there weren't enough little boxes!

Kari in WeHo said...

we love your naming stories :)

Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com

Fiona, as typed by Dr. Liz said...

The 18th? Maybe I can get Mom to get our post together. At least we aren't the only ones named after teevee characters! Although we don't have any real papers (being half-breeds and all...), so I didn't have to worry about being Fiona Lord of Dark Hills in Winter (or something....). For the record, Abby is called 'rotten dog' more often than not. Either that or 'Fluff' (as in 'fluffy puppy' - the name she got when she showed up at her first Puppy Class.... little suckup... At least Mom uses the name 'Fluff' to mean 'Fluff-brain').

*ahem.

Ooooh. We love the supercute baby Mango pictures! (And we love your header photo! Way to get the move on, there, RH!)

*kissey face*
-Fiona and Abby the Hippobottomus

Sue said...

Thanks for all those neat puppy pictures. Our Mom loves to look at them.
Morgan, Tsar and the Porties

houndstooth said...

I always love hearing the stories about how you got your names! I think they are both perfect for you!

Bunny

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

Oooh, I would bottle Dexter's Labracooties and make a million! Of course, I'd make several million off of YOUR huge mastiff cooties!!! You two are delectable!

Oskar said...

Great stories. I love how he was right in your face when he was but a wee pea!

Nubbin wiggles,
Oskar

♥♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥♥ said...

We often wondered about your names and have never heard the stories before. Of course Everybody Loves Mango - there should be a TV show like that:) And Dexter, we sort of figured that out once we knew Momma loved that Dexter - our Dad's favorite serial killer too.

Thanks for sharing the name game.

Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

Marjie said...

The labradude baby pictures are just adorable, made all the moreso by the presence of a real, full sized doggie. And, of course, mastiff baby pictures are the best of all.

The turkeys hang around the neighbors' yards. Maybe they can't get over our fence. Or maybe they know Momma would shoot them.

Drools,
Thor

Cinnamon said...

Wow, that's so cool! Thanks for telling us where your names came from. I wish I had an interesting story to tell about my name like yours!

Carol from Down Under said...

Hi Mango, I can only think of you as a big fruit, sorry. I love the baby photos of you and Dexter. He was one brave puppy. You look more huge than usual. Did Grandpa Angus like you when you were small. He has the same expression on his face Kara did when we brought Brucey home, sort of like, oh oh, here we go again! Take care big dude, no worries, love Carol.

Amber DaWeenie said...

Oh nose.....You have given Mom da...puppy fever again! {sigh}

Mr Koda MD said...

Mother was making dork noises at the puppy pics! However I was wondering Mango - we all love you perhaps in a non-sensual way but what happened to your cuteness!!!

Mango jungle gyms are the best! I wish I had one when I was a babe.

Koda

jen said...

LOL! That is great how your Mom came up with both of your names! Awesome!

Lorenza said...

It was pawesome to read the stories and to see the puppy pictures again!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Honey the Great Dane said...

Hi Mango - I did hear the story before but I sure love to see your puppy pics again! :-) And actually, I dont' think I knew that Dexter was named after a cracker TV serial killer...it sort of explains a few things!! :-)

Slobbers,
Honey the Great Dane

Jed and Abby in MerryLand said...

We are seriously going to have to fire mama as our assistant. We didn't even know about the contest, which, not being bloggers, we probably can't enter anyway. We'd also heard your name stories before, but we can never get too many photos of you as a baby and you with baby Pea.

Jed & Abby

Maggie and Mitch said...

We just love both of your naming stories, Mango and yes, we did do the awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. You and PeeWee were such adorable puppies!

Love ya lots
Maggie and Mitch

Asta said...

Mango
I had no idea you wewe named aftew that stwippew dude, but I guess it makes sense since you wun awound nekkid all the time and you awe most handsome and desiwabull.
I would have been twepidatious about having a potential sewial killew(even if he's funny) as a bwuvvew, but I think you have done a fine job of twaining the Pea to sowt of wespect youw welentlessly hooge and faboolous self
I loved heawing these stowies and seeing the pupppy pictoowes.
Mommi has that same note about loading pics, wif no wesults yet, hehehe
smoochie kisses
ASTA

Corbin said...

My momma always thinks of a book she read with a character named Dexter... he was a tall handsome dude. And Mango... well who KNEW you were named after a stripper?! Must have know you were a hunk from the start!
-Corbin

brooke said...

I like learning about this!
And to be honest, I forgot for an instant that Pea's name isn't Pea, but Dexter. And I was waiting to find out how Momma chose Pea as his name. hahahahahaah

doyle and mollie said...

pawsome tail we like kinda bubba and pea cos we knows you both a huge softies - loves and licks xxxx

Wild Dingo said...

I sure hope "Nightwinds Dexter in the dark" doesn't actually live up to his name... if you catch my drift! eeewww... maybe you should get a gas mask anyway?

Anakin Man said...

big me's!!
All 'dis time me thought yous named after a fruit!

Me never heard of 'dat show-
hu hu's

laters,
Anakin Man

Michelle said...

Mango and Dexter are so adorable! I want to squeeze the Pea out of both of them! Hugs!

ForPetsSake said...

wow - those were some wicked cute puppies there...
"Labracooties"...hehehe