Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Attack of the 87 Foot Leash by Dexter

Thank you so much for all your good thoughts and comments for Rusty and his family. I know it means a lot to them.
Mango Momma

And now, take it away, Dexter!




Over the weekend, momma decided to break out the 87 foot leash for what she deemed to be an "adventure" for yours truly.

In the interest of full disclosure, I will tell you that the leash is actually only 50 ft. long, but one needs to be allowed some poetic license when telling a tale.

I, Dexter, was not amused by the condition of the leash, which, despite having resided in a stationary position for so long that it almost surely had moss growing on it, the blasted thing appeared to have coiled itself into knots and twists worthy of the most determined boy scout.



And to what purpose were we using this ghastly orange snake that particular day?

I was decidedly flummoxed as I soon learned that my "freedom" was not enhanced one bit.

Momma kept the majority of the leash coiled like some neon lasso whilst providing me with only a few short feet of slack.






After a somewhat constraining, but nevertheless pleasant, stroll, we arrived at our local village green.

At this point, momma dropped the string in a clump, grabbed the loopy end and strode purposefully away, leaving me behind to snuffle for leftovers from the recent pie festival.






Apparently this entire exercise was intended to be an "off leash" simulation to build momma's confidence that I really am a good dog who always minds her.

Surely she if not so daft as to think that a clever chap like me would be fooled. The drag alone made me feel as if I was pulling the Queen Mary behind me.

Momma was actually quite annoying during this time and kept calling me to her side whenever I became overly interested in a particular smell or opted to wander in a different direction than she had chosen.

I was quick to recall being somewhat bored with the entire experience and really having nothing better to do.





An adventure this was not.

Until....


These two fun little guys showed up.

Now that white fluffy dog I have met on many an occasion and have always found him quite jolly, but the little wiener dog was someone new.






Naturally, being all burly boy dogs, our first activity was to leave our own remembrances on the gigantic flag pole.





But then it was zoomie time and it was at that moment that I realized the pure genius of momma's plan.

Because, here is how it normally goes down... I meet some fun, off leash dogs and momma is so over the top paranoid that she will not drop her end of the leash and how much fun can one really have with only six feet of wiggle room?






But thanks to the (now my favorite leash in the whole world) 87 foot leash, I was able to enjoy full out zoomies with my buddies.

Let me tell you that wiener dog really had the moves.






So I am going to give the 87 foot leash four big paws up. If you can't go off leash, it is the next best thing.

Oh, and by the way, when I was ready to leave, that white fluffy dog followed me all the way across the field even though his master was calling him with increasing alarm. You know what I did? I peed on him! That's right. You have to trust me on that one because the flashy had already found its way back into momma's pocket.

The now somewhat yellowish white dog's master was a bit agitated over that but I did succeed in discouraging Mr. Fluffy Bottom from following us home.

Dexter done!

39 comments:

STELLA and RORY from Down Under said...

Howdy Dexter. It sounds like your Momma is pure genius. Great idea to come when she called otherwise you might not get the long lead again. Did you trip over it when you played with your mates?

Your two friends look heaps fun but the funniest part is when you peed on the white one and made him yellow hehehe. Sounds like a fab time for you and your Momma. See ya Dexter dude. No worries, and love, Stella and Rory

Anny said...

You peed on Mister White Fluffy??? *BOL* You're the man Dex!!!

Bouncing Bertie said...

Well done Dexter for not wrapping your 87ft leash all around the trees and flagpole. I would have done for sure.

Toodle pip!
Bertie.

PS We are a bit worried, as we know that there are rules in your country about how you treat flags. We hope they don't extend to flagpoles...?

Declan said...

87ft heh? Now that is a leash! Being a greyhound I can't have one that long as I would kill myself. And Mum, which would be a bit of a mess really. Deccy x

Luna said...

That is a very Pawsome leash! Daddy may have to get one of those for me.. teehee..

I can't believe you peed on the doggie! I saw a doggie pee on a human today! BOL! maybe he was trying to tell her to go home! :D

xo
Luna

Maggie and Mitch said...

An 87 foot leash sounds like pure joy to us, Dexter! We want one of those!

Love ya lots
Maggie and Mitch

♥♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥♥ said...

We have had a few incidents/accidents where some unfortunate pup had bad timing when one of us boys felt the urge to engage in leglifting. BOL.

The Momster would never be able to manage a 50 foot leash - we would have her all knotted up like a mummy:)

Glad you got to have some quasi off leash fun, Dexter.

Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

Hound Girl said...

LOL you peed on whitey dog hahaha.

Sounds like you were a good boy and Im very proud of you Dex.
Glad you got your walkie with your mom and got some supervised off leash time!

Cyndi and Stumpy said...

Way to leave your mark on the world, Dexter!

Happy, Waggin' Tails, FUREVER!
Stumpy and me

Tank said...

A big, off the leash thug attempted to pee on me a few weeks ago in my own neighborhood. Fortunately, my asst. got me out of the way just in the knick of time. I didn't think it was the least bit funny.

Mack said...

That thing is AWESOME! I will have to tell mom to get to the store and purchase one ASAP.

Sarge said...

Hey Dexter!
Wow, sounds like it all worked out in the end! Alas, I am also confined to a long, long rope even when going swimmie. I don't get it either. I do get a good chuckle when my rope gets tangled just like yours did...lots of HBO words from my peeps! BOL
Grr and Woof,
Sarge, COP

Two French Bulldogs said...

That leash is downright nutty. You should have ran around mom 87 times while you were attached to it. BOL
Benny & Lily

Amber DaWeenie said...

BWHahahahahah....way ta go, Dex! Peein' comes in handy sometimes. Mee bets dat weenie dog had practice in da weenie dog races. Us weenies can be purrty fast.

:o)

Wild Dingo said...

dude, that 87 foot line is nice but wait until it trips you up, ties you in knots or better yet, your mom. seriously. i love-hate them. they don't necessarily work for the bolting dog. really. but they do work generally...

have fun. maybe next time you can tie up that white doggie like a rodeo dog!

Frankie Furter said...

Well now I am very much happy that you did NOT pee on one of my dachshund cussins!!

WOW 87 feet is a LONG LONG way.. that is super duper that you got to have the simulated Free Range Roam!!! I am very much happy fur you.

I hope that you can encourage your momma to take you there AGAIN beclaws I really enjoyed your fun time. Thanks fur Sharing it with us.
PeeS... we dachshunds are all FAST as a Flash.. I'm just sayin.

Kari in Vegas said...

Im sure you can find ways to weave that thing in trees and make your human untangle it

Stop of by for a visit!
Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com/

Roscoe Harville said...

Great ending to the adventure Dexter!

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

Oh Dex! You are SUCH a character!!! It sounds like fun... except for the white dog's master... LOL! ;-)

Sue said...

We use a leash like that on Bailey when we go to the lake because she isn't interested in water, but wants to explore the woods. This way she doesn't get lost while we're swimming.
Morgan, Tsar and the Porties

Leslie said...

Congratulations on your new "freedom", Dexter! This is pretty much exactly what we did with our Bella until she proved herself ready to be "off-leash". It works great (as long as no one trips over the leash, which, I have to admit, we did a time or two, or three, or maybe 4...) Have fun!

Reilly / Denny Cowspotdogs said...

I bet your mom had fun getting that untangled when you got home !

Jasmine said...

I am very glad you enjoyed your almost-off-leash experience, but I will never understand the rude things boys do. Mommy says she's glad she has all girls, and I'm glad Winstin had his operation before learning to hike is leg! He finds me especially irksome, so I would probably get peed on a lot if that were an option!

Puppy Love,
Jasmine

Daisy Dog said...

zoom Zoom ZOOM!

Sally Ann and Andy said...

Dexter what was my brother doing up there? He is not allowed to travel alone.
Sally Ann

Sally Ann and Andy said...

Dexter what was my brother doing up there? He is not allowed to travel alone.
Sally Ann

Dory and the Mama said...

WOW...that sounds like a fun time PeeWee...especially that peein' on the fluffy dog part!!

Smileys!
Dory, Jakey and Bilbo

Jed and Abby in MerryLand said...

Wow, that looks like fun! You're lucky Mango/PeeWee Momma is even giving you a chance to prove yourself off leash. Bet RH will not be afforded the same opportunity :D Sounds like a 'neener neener' opportunity for you, PeeWee.

Jed & Abby

Just Ramblin' said...

Sounds like great fun! : )

Au and Target said...

Dexter you mad mutt what WERE you thinking? MOL, we are laughing so hard that our whiskers are curling!

KB said...

You peed *on* him!?!?!?! I am falling out of my chair laughing!

We have an 87' long leash that our dogs drag behind them in the forest when they're pups. It's hysterical unless you're the dog dragging the darn thing :) But, once you prove yourself to be reliable, the leash gradually gets shorter, one foot at a time, until it no longer exists. Imagine that!

A Wonderful Dogs Life said...

Hahahaha, you peed on the white fluffy dog. I bet he was more upset about the bath that followed.

That's a very awesome leash. I wanna know how all three of you and the Momma avoided a huge tangle. I'm sure we would have ended up in a tangled up heap.

Emma

Marjie said...

Well, the 87 foot leash sounds like a fun time, but I think most civilized dogs would frown upon peeing on your friends.

Stacey said...

ive heard so much about them training leads! they look really good too! may have to go get one

annienzagain said...

Sounds like you & that wiener dog had a great time, even if it wuz just pretend off-leash!!!
As for that whitey-yellowy pup - I'm finking that he didn't hafe suuuch a good time... well, not afta you did the leg-lift on him!!! BOL!!

Slobber from Ruger

PeeSSS - I used to try the leg-lift on my Angel sister Neve sumtimes, when she had the audacity to want to pee on the spot what I was just finking I might make use of myself. Sumhows I always seemed to git in big trouble wif the hu-mans fur that.

Fiona, as typed by Dr. Liz said...

Pawsome!!! We've got one of those ginormous leashes (although ours is a most boring brown colored thing) but when we use it, the dog in question (usually Abby) walks with Dad while Mom walks 20-30ft behind holding the super-duper long leash. Despite many exercises in this manner, we are not allowed off leash on walks. HOWEVER, we are allowed off leash at the park - not that the park has fences, but Mom has tennis balls, and while we have a few zippy weiner dogs of our own, after a few moments, they are no where NEAR as interesting as the tennis balls. Just saying...

*kissey face*
-Fiona and Abby the Hippobottomus

Honey the Great Dane said...

Ah, Dexter - the long leash! Looks like it was a great idea!! Hopefully, it'll help you practise lots of good Recalls and then one day, your Momma will unclip it and let you off 'for real'! :-) But hey - until then - what a great way to get extra freedom & have fun? (oh, and it's also a great way to trip your human up too - just make sure you do the circular dive around her legs and then PULL TIGHT! Hee! Hee!)

Slobbers,
Honey the Great Dane

fabulousflo said...

Haha. Next... bungee cord. No need for recall. :)

H and the fabulously one year old Flo

Lassiter Chase and T said...

Dexter, I totally thought you were going to keep going around the flag pole with the 87 foot leash like a million times to drive your Momma insane so she would take the leash off you. Guess that's food for thought for next time!