Monday, November 21, 2011

Dr. Dexter is in the House


Having been alerted by momma that her work place schedule was not amenable to taking the Relentlessly Huge to the special x-ray vet until after Thanksgiving, yours truly decided that it was my responsibility to manage his recuperative activities for the time being.

Noting that the vet instructed him to engage in frequent, moderate activity, I searched my brain for the best possible method to get him off his buffalo butt.

"Aha!" says I, "As luck would have it, our present from Jazzi's gift exchange arrived just this week and had been sitting on the dining room table for some days."

I immediately determined that while we are a bit early for the holiday season, surely presents are meant to bring joy and happiness and what more joyful gift for momma than to see her spoiled rotten bully of a dog up and about.

And so, I selflessly opened our package. A most interesting package all the way from Mocha, Ashley and Winniecheerdill in the Philippines! Readers, please excuse any possible typographical errors with my new friend's names. One does try to decipher human script but it can be confounding.

A regular bounty! Fancy flea and tick powder, sweet soaps, some Dexter-sized tennis balls,

some Dexter - sized tennis balls,

some tennis balls...

TENNIS BALLS!

Excuse me. Had a moment there.

As I was saying... all rounded out by an ever popular rope toy, a stuffie and a wall decoration for momma. SCORE!



I grabbed that yellow stuffie post haste and was away.

There is little that annoys Mango more than the site of my labraself enjoying a stuffie... any stuffie. While this is normally a thorn in my side, this time I opted to use it to my advantage.

Come and get me, little pony!






As you can see, he was temporarily, at least, oblivious to his aches and pains in his quest to secure the stuffie (which, I might add, I allowed him to have after what I determined to be an appropriate amount of actual movement).

Hmmm... look at that face. Wonder if perhaps we need to adjust his medication.





Clever chap that I am, I waited until he had exhausted himself before tossing him the rope toy for further masticating pleasures.





Whilst I, Dexter, proceeded to do full tilt fun times with the yellow stuffie.




AND, I made a super action movie. In it you will see that my physical therapy program is doing quite well as the Relentlessly Huge is clearly moving more smoothly by the end and able to turn corners with alarming speed without jack knifing and toppling.




Now if I could just get momma to clear the slobbers off the camera lens. Well, small steps, small steps, right?

Dexter done!

P.S. It's not to late to get aboard for Bolo's amazing Nosevember contest. Week two is in full swing and you can enter to play along on his blog here.

P.P.S. From Mango Momma
Looking through the archives I discovered that almost exactly a year ago Mango suffered a similar injury. Poor guy. Must be his Thanksgiving owie. He seems to be improving ever so slowly. I also noted that Mango showed great improvement after a trip to the chiropractor. I confess that I did not like that vet personally and I think my lack of a love connection overshadowed the positive effect his treatment had. Thank goodness for the internet, eh? So I still will take him for a thorough set of x-rays and then back to "vet whom I don't like but seems to know what he is doing" for some chiro and acupuncture.

40 comments:

gYpSy jU said...

Hope you feel better real soon ~ and injury free!

Hugs,

Gypsy ;-)

Keisha said...

I hopes he feels moar better really soon. :)

ArtemisiaFSS said...

Dexter we thinks you exercise regime is a smashing success.

HoundDogMom said...

Glad you are feeling better Mango. So nice of PeeWee to help with your exercising. I missed that you go to a Chriopractor, we are sorry he is not your mommy's favorite. To bad you don't live in Illinois because we have the best Chiropractor for doggies and she would surely fall in love with you. Take Care, Sniffs, The HoundDogs

Priscilla said...

You did a great job, Dexter!

Keep the Relentlessly Huge busy but make sure he has enough rest too!

Just Ramblin' said...

Continue to heal. Happy fun play is always good for the healing process. : )

Gus said...

Dexter Dude:

Don't forget the Mentals Stimulations for the Mango Man. That will give you more time with the wonderful yellow stuffie!

gussie and Teka

Life in the Philippines said...

Oh, what a wonderful video. We hope that Mango gets well soon. Looks like Dexter keeps on getting Mango into his exercise regime.

Thank you again for being our friends:)

Mocha Barney, Ashley Pumpernickel and Winniechurchill

Jen said...

Chiro has been a godsend to all 3 of my pooches (plus a few fosters, LOL). Yup, if you can overlook the vet, it might be worth pursuing!

Here's hoping Dexter can continue to help Mango get better... well done, buddy!!

Jen and the mostly Black Dog Crew

Anny said...

Great job Dex! You did get Mango moving. You are a good therapy Dr :) Glad to see Mango doing much better. Hope he will get well soon.

Sarge said...

Hey Dexter!
Wow, you're such a good brother to the MRH! Looks like you have the exercise all worked out. No Sweatin To The Oldies for you guys. BOL I'm sending a bunch of healing vibes to His Hugeness for a speedy recovery!
Grr and Woof,
Sarge, COP

Declan said...

Got your work cut out there mate! hehe! Deccy x

Cyndi and Stumpy said...

Dexter, it is so good of you to help the momma out with Mango's recovery. I hope there is a raise in pay that goes along with your extra efforts!

Happy, Waggin' Tails, FUREVER!
Stumpy and me

Jasmine said...

I believe that was a win-win situation. The RH got in some much needed PT (glad to see him moving around more) and you, Dex, got a good excuse to annoy your brother. Worked out for everyone. Enjoy your new toys and keep up the hard work.

Puppy Love,
Jasmine

jen said...

Wow! Those are some awesome gifts from your friend and you two sure know how to use them!!
Nice job on getting Mango moving Dexter!!

Frankie Furter said...

Oh Dexter... I am sure that having that Pressie package was just what you needed to... take Mango's mind off his ouchie thingy... You are SUCH a grrrreat little brother.

PeeS... Thanks AGAIN fur that grrrreat thingy you emailed to me. It will be SHOW CASED on THURSDAY!!!

Ina in Alaska said...

Nice work Dr. Dexter!

Nola said...

Good work Dr. Dexter!
Kisses and Tail Wags,
Dachshund Nola

Bouncing Bertie said...

Well done Dr Dexter, you both look in splendid form.
Toodle pip!
Bertie.

The Army of Four said...

Take good care of him, Dr. D!
Play bows,
Zim

Sue said...

Keep up the good work Dexter. It looks like you have him moving a lot better.
Morgan, Tsar and the Porties

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

Dexter, Mommy says you are the best physical therapist she knows! Mommy said when she got a knee/ankle owie a couple of years ago -- she had to go to physical therapy -- butt it wasn't even half as fun as the therapy you did with Mango. Great work Dexter! I hope Mango feels better soon.

Reilly / Denny Cowspotdogs said...

Dexter Labradude ! what can we can say - you are awesomesomeness on four legs with your cunning ways to get the big dude moving

Marjie said...

Hooray for pressies! And Hooray for zoomies! Glad you guys are having fun out there, without any dreaded white stuff falling out of the sky.

Khyra And Sometimes Her Mom said...

Dear DR Dexter -

Do woo make house khalls to DaBurgh?

I bet woo khould help tone and tighten a certain LARGE buttsie!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Two French Bulldogs said...

Hope you are feeling better soon
Benny & Lily

Maggie and Mitch said...

What a nice early Christmas pressie! Someone is sure on the ball because our mom sure isn't!
Great job keeping the Mango moving, Dexter!

Love ya lots
Maggie and Mitch

Wild Dingo said...

OMD, that video was totally action packed. my heart was racing the entire time.

it's really nice how you stepped up with that stuffie idea. you're just helpful like that, huh?

Two French Bulldogs said...

You are doing a good job Doc
Benny & Lily

houndstooth said...

What would Mango do without you, Dex? All I know is that once he's feeling better, you'd better stay out of his reach for a few days! He might be out for a bit of revenge...

Bunny

Fiona, as typed by Dr. Liz said...

Nice work, Dex! Even after you had to forgo your breakfast on Saturday so the RH could get his relentlessly huge foot photocopied! You are a such a selfless labradude! I bet Ole Buffalo Butt totally appreciates your physical therapy regimen! Heheh.

*kissey face*
-Fiona and Abby the Hippobottomus

Au and Target said...

Dexter, you are clearly a Healer, but what on earth are you putting in Mango's food bowl? He looks positively demented while chewing the stuffie. Hope everyone is in prime shape by Thanksgiving.

STELLA and RORY from Down Under said...

Hi Dexter, you are the best brother ever. Thanks for taking care of Uncle Mango. I know how hard it can be to get a bigger dude to play. They like to sleep so much. Hugs and slobbers to you Dex. No worries, and love, Stella and Rory

Tom, Tama-Chan, Sei-Chan, Bibi-Chan, Gen-Chan, Vidock said...

We are most impressed at your expert handling of the situation, Dexter!

Pippa said...

We are sending a note to MM. Do not use a vet you do not like. There must be a reason for that. Some dogstinct or whatever it is called.

We have chucked more vets than we have kept.

Anyway paws up for both M &D, and your lovely presents from the Philippines.

Pippa

The Island Cats said...

You're a good physical therapist, Dr. Dexter! Hey, Mango, we hope you are feeling better soon!!

Roo said...

Oh Dexter you did a smashing good job of exercising His Massiveness! I definitely saw more fluid movement in the last half of your program :D

Wishing you a super duper wonderful Thanksgiving! :D

Waggin at ya,
Roo

Chester said...

After watchin' your PT techniques I realize that I, too can be a therapy dawg. After all, I have been gettin' my PUs off their lethargic butts for years and I'm thinkin' it's high time I put my experience to use - and where someone will pay me the big biscuits for doin' it too.

Lord knows these two don't pay me nearly what I'm worth.

Woofs and therapeutic slobbers,
Chester ;0=)

ocmist said...

Looks like you are doing a good job of keeping your BIG Buddy moving and exercising, Dexter! Mercy has a tendency to grab OUR stuff and run off with it, but she is just being stingy and not trying to help! Gimli

achieve1dream said...

Yep that is one reason we keep blogs is to track progress. I'm glad it helps you to see how he's doing compared to last time. Good luck with xrays and dealing with the vet you don't like.