Monday, January 30, 2012

Tennis Ball Liberation!


Before I start, I feel compelled to draw your attention to a somewhat hysterical attempt on the part of the Beastie to besmirch not just my good name, but my entire breed. You can read it here.

While it is tempting to enter into the fray with the hysterical little so and so, my momma always counsels me, "Dexter, when you fight with a pig you both get dirty, but the pig likes it."

So, dear readers, I leave it to you to form you own opinions after reading said post.




And now, back to our regularly scheduled program.


The last week has been torture for yours truly as I have been denied tennis ball action and momma's walking skills are just not up to snuff for providing the exercise required by an active chap such as myself.

It's that pesky dew claw. Contrary to what some might believe, us doggies actually use our dew claws quite a bit. Not just to help us hold nommy bones, but also to grip and provide stability during funballs activities like agility or tennis ball.

In fact according to Mango's PT doctor, agility dogs who have their dew claws removed suffer more ankle injuries than dogs who remain whole.

So, it was not without good cause that momma feared I would re-open my broken claw were I to run and jump and dart about after the treasured yellow orb.

But enough is enough and even I, sedate and level headed labradog, can succumb to cabin fever and mental fits when deprived of activity for too long.

Thus, yesterday, I convinced the lazy witch to have a go and let's just see if I was tennis ball ready. Now, action is best captured in moving picture format, so I give you my tennis ball liberation movie here or below (try to ignore the typo in the first title page of the movie - good help is hard to find).




Well, you can imagine why I am smiling (note full set of teeth on display, Beastie).




Dexter done!

P.S. From Mango Momma - if you watched the movie you saw Mango bouncing about after the tennis ball. You can see that he is still not using his back end properly, but there is a huge improvement in his activity and comfort level since starting the underwater treadmill. He is up to 12 minutes now and goes once per week. Curiously, he is getting less and less interested in walks off the property and for the past couple of weeks has been very sluggish and balky but perks right up when we get home. So for now I am focusing on yard walks and at home PT exercises (along with tennis ball now and then). He still falls down about once a week, but recovers more quickly so I think he is stronger and more limber. His weight is down to 204 which is the lightest he has been since a teenager.

27 comments:

chicamom85 said...

Dexter, I am so happy and relieved to see you with the treasured yellow ball. My Mom was struck as we watched the movie with just how cute you are. She kept saying that, what a cute face you have. I find you handsome myself. Mango is also quite dashing(sorry I know this is your blog but I had to say it). I hope your booboo will soon be healed. Take care

licks and sniffs Sasha

scotsmad said...

Dexter, you don'e look like that dew claw has slowed you down one bit. Go boy.

Glad to hear that Mango is moving better.

XXXOOO daisy, bella & Roxy

fabulousflo said...

Awwww. Bless his poor little deprevied labrabody.

Bouncing Bertie said...

This is SO embarrassing. Gail is, eeek, DANCING (at least that's what I assume it is) to the music on that very lively video.
The horror..
Toodle pip!
Bertie.
PS I know you and your Mom are super busy and all that with Mango Minster, but I did wonder if you might pop over briefly to my blog and help advise me on a suitable vehicle to take Jazzi's sister Addy to the Valentine Dance. The readers' poll will by up all week.

Gus said...

Congratulations, we are glad that you managed to convince Mama that it was time to give you a trial at tennis ball. Still, you might be a bit more careful in the future.

gussie

monica said...

Looking good Dex - and also Mango !!
Take care y'all!!
Bundy the Bundle of Joy - now with pieces of metal implemented in right back knee...

Scruffy, Lacie and Stanley's Place said...

The grizzled pig sniffs around in the trough looking for more slop, but she seems to have consumed the entire lot.

Satisfied, she finds a warm place in the sun, rolls on her back and paws her distented belly a bit, gives a satisfied grunt and falls off to sleep. Life is good.

The Pig

Scruffy, Lacie and Stanley's Place said...

Oh and by the way it's not all labs who are toothless. Only some.

Declan said...

You're looking good mate! Deccy x

euthymic said...

Glad to know that your dew claw is recovering and you are in appropriate tennis ball form:) Also pleased to hear that Mango is getting better!

Mocha Barney, Ashley Pumpernickel and Winniechurchill

Fiona, as typed by Dr. Liz said...

We are still SO JEALOUS of your yard - you've actually got some room to get up to speed! Clearly Dad only had little dogs when he bought our house ages ago. We'd LOVE a yard like that. We might have to come visit. We could even bring frisbees... ;-)

*kissey face*
-Fiona and Abby the Hippobottomus

The Army of Four said...

Dex, you look so HAPPY! Mango looked like he was having fun, too! I'd love to come over and play ball with you guys!
Luv,
DAve

rottrover said...

Dexter, you always look like you're having fun!! (and glad to see the Mango bouncing about as well!!)

-Bart and Ruby

Two French Bulldogs said...

Dexter those extra nails we have are cool. You can also scratch every buddy but good!
Lily ( & Benny )

Jed and Abby in MerryLand said...

Well, Mango being 'sluggish & balky' on walkies and having lost a lot of weight kinda falls into the 'asked and answered' category. Who wants to exercise when they're starving to death? But we're most happy to hear his rear extremities are improving noticeably. Next to go: the falling down stuff. But we digress...

Dex, we're sorry about your activity limitations, but it looks like you did ok on this trial run, so maybe you're healed now. Jed is most sympathetic, as he's just had more leg surgery and is back in the Cone again, with medically dictated 'no running or exercising' for at least another week. Curiously, the one running amok like you in your video is Abby, not Jed. She's missing out on their usual yard and house zoomies.

So sorry about the contretemps with the Beastie. Your chompers look perfect to us. We admire your restraint as you Rise Above this fray.

Jed & Abby

FiveSibesMom said...

Love the video, Dexter! You look so happy and having fun!

Sure hope Mango keeps right on improving and getting stronger each day!

Shane Kent Louis said...

Wow, Mango you have a great adventure today, and you look had much fun playing tennis ball, I want to play with you with our other paw friends Mango :)

dog fence | It's all about Pets

A Wonderful Dogs Life said...

Dexter you are so cute the Mango should share his blog a bit more often with you. I'm glad to see you are all better and having lots of tennis ball fun.

Mango you are so limber and bouncy that is a beautiful sight. Congratulations on your weight loss.

Emma

houndstooth said...

I can't believe someone would malign you so terribly, Dex! It just isn't right!

I am very glad to see you able to chase your tennis ball, though. You must have been going crazy all cooped up!

Bunny

Bassetmomma said...

What a happy dude!

Au and Target said...

We didn't know that about dew claws! Interesting... we cats don't have them you know.

Wild Dingo said...

OMD, Dex that "quick play bow" ... it could have been a floppy-eared Loki. I swear you have the same moves as him.

As for the RH... yes he's pegging but his energy looks good.

Wild Dingo said...

BTW Dex, thanks for having my back bro with Lacie Beast. You're one cracked-out but loyal hep-cat. Nice to know I have friends on the East Coast.

Loki

Piappies World said...

Hello Dex!

You are looking sooooo happy chasing the yellow ball! Do take it easy on the boo-boo.

Mango's looking good and we hope that things will get even better.

We are getting our entry ready for Mango Minster! Yay!

Love,
Piappies Fudgie, Princess, Frappie, Mocha, Sugar, Wai-Pai, Wai-Max & Forgie

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

You're crackers over your tennis ball. Mabel Lou is too!

KB said...

I loved your cracker video! I know a black lab who's a lot like you!

I agree about the Beastie... We must defend our breed!

Glad to hear that Mango is feeling a bit better. He looks slender and much bouncier than before in that video!

Moose Dog said...

Wow you are bouncy like a tennis ball! Glad you got to play again. That is very good news about the RH. He must be like some 200lb otter or somethin with all that swimming!
PS I can see that you have trails in your yard for tennis ball fetching tennis balls and know you like to stick to the trails but I really thought you were gonna do a header into that box when you ran by. I guess you are too agile to do something like that. I would prolly run right into it.