Sunday, March 11, 2012

Dog Book Review by Mango Momma



Well, nothing like a sleepover in the hospital to afford time to catch up on your reading. Luckily for me, the nurses obliged by bring stacks of paperbacks from the break room, but prior to that I was able to finish a couple of the dog books from my reading queue and they were both winners.






Ms. Thayer was in her fifties when she decided that a solo journey to the North Pole was on her bucket list and determined to check it off. She had at first determined to make the journey alone, but the locals convinced her that she needed a dog and graciously donated Charlie to accompany her.

Good thing, too, as not only were there plenty of polar bears bent on enjoying middle aged lady snacks, but he also served as her emotional support when things got tough (and they got really, really tough). Don't worry, they both make it back OK, but even knowing that, reading of her harrowing expedition can get scary at times.

Next is a wonderful book sent to me by Taffy's mom as a little Mango Minster thank you.

Dogs and a Cottage by Dora Wright. I couldn't find this on Amazon, but did find a bookstore for it here.




Even if you don't love Airedales (which, of course, I do), this is a great read for anybody who loves dogs. A determined, self sufficient, middle aged (again) woman, Ms. Wright sets to buying her "dream cottage" and continuing her Airedale breeding program.

Her writing is no-nonsense as she tackles the challenges of re-constructing her house into a livable space. You'll also learn a bit about the mind set of a responsible breeder whose goal is to continue the proud lineage of healthy, happy Airedales.

It's no secret that I would love another Airedale. Maybe someday. But for now, I can get my terrier fix by reading good books and the wonderful blogs of my Airedale friends.


This next one is not a dog book, but it's good too. Lacie Mumsie suggested I stop by the library and pick up a copy of Eat This Not That. (unlike Mango and Pea, I do whatever Lacie and her Mumsie tell me - they are scary)!



There are a ton of books in the series, but I chose the "no diet" one. A very practical guide to making good choices when dining out or eating at home. And a slightly different philosophy than the standard preaching regarding a healthy diet. So, even though it will require (gasp) food preparation on my part, I'm going to give it a shot.

I am feeling fine after my ER adventure (but have possibly crossed our local hospital off my list of places to visit). I think that if the EMT's ever have to drag my sorry self off the estate that I will pin a note to my chest that says "anyplace but Framingham." Even Dr. Dreamy in the ER and all the wonderful nurses, technicians, assistants, and other crew could not make up for what struck me as a sloppily run endeavor.

Given that I read everything and anything in front of me (read the user manual on my IV drip, my automatic bed, and every scrap of paper on the walls and bulletin boards) it should come as no surprise that I snatched my chart up and read it cover to cover. Even before my stress test I noted that there was a set of discharge papers right up front stating that I had not had a cardiac event. I was one of three patients who made a jail break "against medical advice" from the cardiac unit on Friday.

That said, my performance on the treadmill did encourage me to attack my walks with Pea with greater vigor and the time I spent bouncing up and down in front of my heart monitor to see how accurate it was also encouraged me to do a bit of bouncing on my own whilst playing tennis ball with the boys.

So, it's all good.

Mango Momma

P.S. Hopefully Mango is over being velcro dog. He has been very clingy and needy since I got home. Not a bad thing except that when he is busy being a momma's dog, little Pea is afraid to get too close for fear that Mr. Grumpy Pants will AR AR AR at him. Poor little guy. Fear not, I am making sure to give Pea extra attention as well.

28 comments:

Reilly / Denny Cowspotdogs said...

Sounds like you found some excellent books to read and we are so happy to hear you are okay this morning (we hear Mango MIGHT have even been worried that his Momma was missing) and no doubt he let you know about it.

Minna Krebs said...

We are sooooo relieved to hear you are doing Okie-dokie. We have been most concerned about da Mango Momma!

Now, about those books........we had a good chuckle about da middle-age lady theme. My momma had to add those to her reading list.....that is a theme her can most certainly relate to!

ArtemisiaFSS said...

Glad you are OK, our Mommy wants to check out that eat this not that book, she is going to see if our library has it. She is trying to lose weight and eat healthy.

tula said...

I hear Rocky music playing in the background! is this the beginnings of a new and improved mango momma??!!:)

glad you're ok!
tula. FAD

Priscilla said...

So glad that you are okay! Those doggie books sound interesting but I'm more interested in that eat this not that one. Try to eat healthily these days: )

harrispen said...

Glad to hear you are feeling well. I read Polar Dream quite a few years ago and loved it too.

Cindy

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

I am so glad that you are BETTER NOW!

Sammie and Avalon said...

Hoo-wheee, glad your Ma is okay - Mom has had a couple of stressy tests and doesn't love them fur shore, although she never studied the monitors. Your momma is not only furry, furry smart, but courageous as well. We like the looks of those doggeh books, but we're gonna stay away from any diet if we can help it. There's nothing we love mo bettah than foods and lots of them!
Hugs xoxoxo
Sammie and Avalon

The Thuglets said...

Mango Momma..so pleased to hear you are ok. Please take care of yourself!
Thanks for the book reviews. Love Dora Wrights book... mine prezzie from MMTW Mum when I was in hospital! LOL

Have a good day.

Thuglets Mumx

rottrover said...

So glad you're feeling better. We're gonna get the publicist to download Polar Dream to her kindle. Maybe if enough of us read it Mango can organize an adventure to the North Pole - BOL!! Healthy eating... oh, yeah, SHE should look into that, too...

-Bart and Ruby

bbes tribe said...

Sorry Mango Momma was not feeling well. Sure hope she is MUCH better. Take care of her! Think Mom is going to check out the Polar Dream book for her Kindle Fire....
Wags
Ernie and the rest of the pack

Bouncing Bertie said...

Thanks for the book recommendations, always welcome, but we kind of hope that you don't have any more enforced 'reading opportunities' for a good while to come.
Cheers,
Gail and Bertie.

chicamom85 said...

We are so glad that you are ok, you had my Mommy worried. She had a similar bad experience with emergency room visits with my Daddy and will do anything to avoid that place.

Mango, when Mommy goes away even for a short time, I am the same way, I am not gonna let her out of my sight for fear she will disappear again. You stick with her and don't let her go anywhere without you.

Loveys Sasha

scotsmad said...

SHE's like you--has to be reading something!

XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

Macintosh Mitch said...

I'm so happy to hear that your momma is okay, Mango.
Dogs And A Cottage looks like a winner to me!

Love ya lots,
Mitch

The Boston Lady said...

Momma it sounds like you have your mojo back and that you are taking your health into your own hands and learning as much as you can. I find it amazing how intuitive our animal babies are when we are not well or just even feeling down. Mango's job is to comfort you and Dexter will be your exercise coach! Keep feeling better. Ann TBL

Amber DaWeenie said...

OH NOSE! My Mommy's been sickie in bed wit da flu, but we didn't nose we were livin under a rock. Didn't know bout your adventure in da hospital, butt sure am hap-pee to hear dat it be over and done. Take it easy and make Mango and Dex take good care of you.

STELLA and RORY from Down Under said...

Howdy Mango Momma, so very glad to hear you are ok. Sounds like Dexter is going to benefit from this little adventure by having more walks? Thanks for the book reviews. Always good to have a backup list. Hope Mango relaxes too. There's nothing quite like a giant Momma's boy. Hugs to you all. No worries, and love, Carol (and Stella and Rory)

A Wonderful Dogs Life said...

I'm glad you are feeling better. I am sorry you had a bad experience at the hospital. My mom avoids those places. She said she wishes our Dr. could be her Dr.

Emma

Two French Bulldogs said...

Hmm good finds...mom may check out one of them
Benny & Lily

Wyatt said...

Oh Boy, another Airedale book! We are so on to that...thanks :D

Wyatt's mom

houndstooth said...

I'm sorry about your whole ordeal, but at least you had some interesting reading! I have been really sick this weekend, and I finally put Morgan in the crate. I just couldn't take her hyper vigilance anymore. Heaven help us if one of us does go to the hospital. It would send her over the edge!

houndstooth said...

I'm sorry about your whole ordeal, but at least you had some interesting reading! I have been really sick this weekend, and I finally put Morgan in the crate. I just couldn't take her hyper vigilance anymore. Heaven help us if one of us does go to the hospital. It would send her over the edge!

Scruffy, Lacie and Stanley's Place said...

What did your momma say, Mango?? That there is a Lakeland in her future??? Well, she is a sensible lady, that one. And she knows to be afraid of me...

I think you might need to have her take a cooking class. While my visit er service here at the Estate has been most rewarding, burned oatmeal is horrid. AND my eggs once over lightly were runny. Toast was cold and rather charred. And soooooooooooooooo not enough butter.

On the other hand, the hot carob with fresh whipped was amazing. I do hope the Master doesn't have issues with the Swiss cow in your kitchen. So easy to milk and shake....

XXOO

Miss Lacie Ladylocks

Ina in Alaska said...

So glad you are on the mend, I had no idea you were in the joint! No fun!! Excellent post & great book reviews!!

Take it easy, we all love you!

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

You sound like our Mommy whenever she has to go to the Vampires and get her blood tested. As soon as they pull out the needle to suck her blood -- she starts scanning the room in a panic to read everything and anything on the walls -- just to distract her from the needle. She even told them about a typo on one of their memo's hanging on the office wall once. The vampire guy wasn't too happy about that one. Luckily Mommy got out of there in one piece!

Moose Dog said...

Jeeze mango momma, there are plenty of nicer places to get some quiet reading time! Perhaps the lovely little nook you just cleaned up? No need to check your self in to the hospital! Seriously though we are glad you are home safe and your ticker is good!

Fiona, as typed by Dr. Liz said...

Ooooh. You're one of those AMA people. Heh. Gary is pretty much ALWAYS one of those AMA people, too (except for when I know I can't deal with him, and insist he stay hospitalized). Oh, and if you ever get sick in northern Utah, I can tell you which ER to NEVER EVER go to. (I would mention them by name but they pay my salary and I am thus a tad reluctant to do so. But I have told more than one EMT to absolutely positively NOT go to that particular ER; teaching hospitals are great, and if you've got serious trauma, it's definitely the place to go. If you've got kidney stones, go elsewhere. I'm just saying...)

*ahem*

On a reading note, when I had one (of several) surgeries a while back, my parents bought me a Kindle because they were worried that I would run out of reading material - I didn't - I ran up a massive AmEx bill that month, but I didn't have to resort to reading the EKG manual! ;-)

-Dr. Liz (and not Fiona the dog, who has missed my surgeries...)