Monday, June 25, 2012

Construction Supervisor Dexter



How to entertain oneself when exercise is limited to walkies and the odd trip to the pool?

I decided that providing oversight to a long due construction project was just the ticket. To whit, replacing the crumbling dirt behind the barn with a nice retaining wall.






Master wanted to rent a back hoe, but I was able to convince him that our pal, Jimmy, and his two boys could function as human back hoes at half the cost and twice the entertainment.

Surprisingly, he took my advice and sure enough, Jimmy and the boys arrived ready to work.

Prior to commencing Project Retaining Wall, there was the traditional laying on of hands. One worries about poor Jake simultaneously touching my pointy black head and that of the torpid beast.

While there is little doubt that cleverness and abounding energy emanate from my labraself, it is potentially offset by the sucking out of life force created when in contact with the vacuum inside of Mango's cranium.









I do find the size of Jimmy and the boys a bit alarming. As you see, Brett actually makes the RH look almost normal sized.










I decided that my best chance at a successful project was to consult with Jimmy directly (requesting that he put the most nommy rocks in a hidey hole for later consumption).









Alarm! Mastiffs and power tools! Not good! 






Under my supervision, the dirt was dug and the retaining wall begun. Sadly, we had to shut down the site due to extreme temperatures (although I would have preferred to just hose down the boys and have them continue with their labors).







All that digging exposed some interesting vole holes into which my pointer snooter fit quite nicely.






Sure, I'm adorable. I can't help it. I admit that when it comes to getting scritches and cookies, I have no shame. I'll even go cross eyed with dirt on my nose if that's what it takes.







Dexter done!

P.S. The RH reports that he was declared to be "in fantastic shape" at the vet with his only misery being some yeast in his ears (well, after he got over his prostate exam, that is). As for me, I continue to count the days until I am officially off the DL and my tennis balls are once again flying through the air.

24 comments:

Roo said...

Aren't guests fun! :) Very good of Mango to simply help you stupervise the construction and not actually try to use any of the power tools :O ;) Glad he got a great report from the V.E.T.! Yay! :D

Very happy to hear you are fast on the road of recovery and will be bouncing after your tennis balls again very soon Dexter :) How do you look so adorable with dirt on your nose?! ;)

Waggin at ya treat monger,
Roo

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

Dexter the brown noser -- love that picture! Oh and Mango, your lipstick was showing in the power tool picture, Dude, you got to be careful around those powertools.

Gus said...

Dexter Dude: You got some fabulous friends. Anyone who can make the Mango look that small is on Teka's list of folks with whom she would like to be photographed.

gussie

Niamh said...

Eat voles not rocks! Glad to hear all is well with RH and hope you are better soon.

Your friends,
Niamh & Ambrose

meatball said...

Great job Dexter!

Fiona, as typed by Dr. Liz said...

Um, I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be with any human who made the RH look normal sized. Is the guy a giant, or what? And you allowed the RH to use power tools? Dude. You really need to work on your snoopervising skills. But the dirt on the nose is a very nice touch!

*kissey face*
-Fiona and Abby the Hippobottomus

Casey said...

I'm very impressed with you, Dexter. You're suffering the torment of no tennis balls, but you STILL manage to snoopervise for your humans. You're just amazing.

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

I can see that you are ONE HAPPY DAWG.. Its in the BROWN of your nose.

SOOOOOO glad that BOTH of you have been declared... WELL and ABLE. Let the GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD time ROLL!

Sarge said...

Hey Dexter!
Wow, what a fun project! Those peeps dig almost as good as we do...almost. Love the laying on of hands. That was probably the best part of their day. Getting to see you and MRH would be way more fun than the job. It's looking great! Please show us pix when it's finished.
BTW: Great news for MRH!
Grr and Woof,
Sarge, COP

Furry Bottoms said...

You know, Mango's garfickle is rather red in that picture. The project looks excellent! :)

The Boston Lady said...

Dexter, I was expecting you and Mango to do some major digging to help those guys out! However, your superior supervisory skills were needed instead I see. Glad you guys are both doing well. Stay out of that heat! I will send some of our drenching Debby rain your way. Ann TBL

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

Dex, The cross eyed dirt nose pic made me spew coffee! Too cute dude!

harrispen said...

Glad to see that even if you can't chase tennis balls you can be entertained in your own back yard by some construction work. Also glad to hear that Mango had a good check up.

Cindy

Blueberry's human said...

Dogs make the best supervisors!

And yes, vets and their technicians are quite invasive. I mean - I'm sure Blueberry must be thinking "hey, we've only just met and already you are sticking things in my out-only place". And yet - she still LOVES going to the vet.

rottrover said...

The master does beautiful work, butt we think the most beautiful part of this post is your beautiful brown eyes!

Ruby and The Publicist

Bouncing Bertie said...

Dexter, you did a great job, although I do believe that if you could have arranged for the RH to nudge Jimmy and the boys into the estate pool for a dip, then they could have continued working for several hours longer.
Toodle pip!
Bertie.
PS Gail and I are thrilled to bits to hear that Mango has a good medical report.
PPS I am concerned, based on the comment you left on my blog yesterday, that someone did not properly read the instructions about entering my Olympic Bouncing Event. Please tell me I am wrong?

The Army of Four said...

You are a most excellent foreman, Dexter! I'm sure this job wouldn't go half as well without your supervision!! Maybe for all your efforts, your Mom will get you NEW tennis balls as a reward. I say you've earned them!
Play bows,
Zim
PS: Glad Mango's check up went well!

Jed and Abby in MerryLand said...

Well, this is it. First Dex gets a spacesuit cooling device so he can have off-estate fun walkies, and now your momma imports assistants to help you dig for voles! Abby is packing now; expect her shortly for a lengthy stay -- just the duration of ground rodent season. You win the Best Momma Olympics for sure!

Jed & Abby

Mitch and Molly said...

You do look a normal size next to Jimmy and Brett, Mango!
Catching a vole should entertain you for a wee bit, PeeWee!

Love ya lots,
Mitch and Molly

Lorenza said...

Sure you two had a great time supervising the big boys!
And the nose sure tells us that!
Glad Mango is doing so good!
I hope you will be able to play soon!
Take care
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Two French Bulldogs said...

Stop, where are your safety goggles
Benny & Lily

jen said...

Ha-ha! I am laughing at Benny and Lily's comment! They have a point, and shouldn't you all be wearing orange vests and hard hats?

Chester said...

Alarmin'ly wise of your Master and DOH to coordinate such a project of gargantuan proportions to entertain your tennis ball-less self durin' your recuperations. Surely stickin' your snooter in a vole hole helps the time go faster until your balls are flyin' thru the air oncet again.

Woofs and projectable slobbers,
Chester ;0=)

Sue said...

Nice job, you two. Having the humans spot vole holes for you is pretty exciting. We have to find our own.
Morgan and the Porties