Saturday, June 16, 2012

Dexter on the DL


Friends, if there is one lesson yours truly has learned this week it is to never let your humans know when you have an owie.

I pride myself on my athletic and trim body, but even I, Dexter, can sometimes overdo things.

Thus I found myself, after a very vigorous chase of my tennis ball, feeling the bounce gone from my after burners and experiencing some discomfort when I attempted to retrieve said tennis ball.

I was, in fact, so compromised in my rear quarters that I felt unable even to get onto my couch for a rest and momma immediately put me on the disabled list.

While not prone to self pity, how can one not feel a bit glum when confined to the interior of the estate while the RH gets to promenade about the neighborhood.





And to learn that even sad face patiently waiting at the garage door would not persuade the evil witch to liberate my beloved tennis balls for one quick toss. 

Well, it broke my spirit.





To make matters worse, the RH positioned himself as some sort of guard troll in front of my couch so I would not be tempted to climb aboard. 







Yes, within a few short days, I was not myself. I was moping about the house, reluctant on stairs, and not bouncing in general. So much so that even Master (who is much more conservative than momma) decided it was time to see the vet.

Vet lady was concerned that I was suffering from Lyme. But I think I would have had more symptoms, don't you?







She took my blood and declared me Lyme free but structurally compromised and sent me home with some of those anti-inflammatory medications.

I will tell you, that I am feeling quite invigorated. Thank goodness for drugs.

Nevertheless, I am still technically on the DL which means no daycare, no agility, no dog dancing, no long walks, and (oh the horror) NO TENNIS BALL for at least 10 days. 

Is life worth living with such limitations?

But then, oh happy day, momma took me to SWIM CLUB! Woo hoo! 








Sure, I would rather be chasing tennis ball at my own estate or visiting my daycare pals, but swim club is pretty darn good.








So don't worry about me. I can stand the wait (I think) until tennis ball liberation day. I made sure momma booked me for swim club again next Saturday. It's the least she could do, right?

In the meantime, check out this exciting adventure action movie I made here.





Dexter done!

P.S. From Mango Momma
Dexter is a very stoic little chap and to see him too sore even to crawl  onto his couch was quite alarming. He injured himself on Monday and by Wednesday he was getting worse, not better (even with restricted exercise). Given that he has already had Lyme (which you only control, but never get rid of) the vet was concerned about that as well as his little labraknees and put him on Doxycycline while we waited for the blood tests to come back. The blood work was fine, but since the Doxy has anti-inflammatory benefits as well, he is staying on that while I play phone tag with the vet to plan next steps. 


He is feeling well enough now to be quite frustrated at his enforced idleness. Thank goodness for swim club. Not to mention that it is actually a net savings since a trip to swim club costs less than the combined cost of daycare and agility (which he is skipping for a few weeks). 


He also has access to the pool next door (except at times like now when the granddogs are in residence - hopefully they will go to their beach house so Dex can sneak into their pool now and then).


But he remains on the DL at least until June 24th. I am not so heartless as to lock Dex up inside to watch through the window while I play tennis ball with Mango, but he is relegated to the role of reluctant spectator while I take Mango out for his training fun times. 

31 comments:

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

OH MY DAWGNESS... at least she did'nt try to stick your Ear on the side of a Salted Glass and turn you into.. a Margarita. Lime ... INDEED.. that is INSANE.. YOU are a BLACK lab NOT a Key LIME colored one.

Now I am glad as all get out that you have GOOD drugs and a stint with HYDRO THERAPY. That comb is MUCH MORE like it.
GET WELL Quickly my furend.

Tom, Tama-Chan, Sei-Chan, Bibi-Chan, Gen-Chan, Vidock said...

Phew, dexter! Thank goodness for swim club! Having been on hat kind of DL myself, I feel for you. It really is in you rest interest to be good for a while!

Woofs,
Tommy

Random Felines said...

poor Dexter - we don't get the tennis ball thing, but we have to admit, you looked very sad. feel better soon.

Casey said...

Oh Dexter, that sounds just miserable. I know your mom has your best interests at heart, but it's so hard on you! I hope you feel better soon.

Berts Blog said...

Dex I am so sorry to hear about your pains, but a therapy pool, how cool is that. I think I would limp a little jjust to get a shot at that pool and that cute girl therapist.

Get well and take it easy.
Bert

♥♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥♥ said...

Poor Dexter and poor mom. We know how hard it is to keep a lab down. All paws crossed for him to be doing well soon.


Woos - Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

Laura, Lance, and Vito said...

Bummer! It's so hard to keep them quiet. It looks like you have lots of stuffed kong time ahead and maybe some more clicker training sessions to keep him busy :)

SissySees said...

Sending patient vibes your way, Dexter. I had to keep a JRT quiet for 6 weeks - no running, no jumping - so I don't envy your mom. Good thing it's frozen PB in a Kong weather...

Shawn said...

Dexter,
Hey dude, hope you fweel bettew soon cuz, fow me, a Day wiff out tennis balls is a Day wiff out...OMD I can't eben fink of my life wiff out a tennis ball!!!!!!!! DUDE...GET BETTEW!!!!!!!!!!
You furiend,
Winston

rottrover said...

Dex, dude. Looking sorta like Michael Phelps there in the pool. We are sure that feels really good on your hind quarters. Feel better soon!

-Bart and Ruby

Painter Pack said...

Hope you feel totally better Dude!!! I wants to see a sequeeel to dat movie!

Mya Boo Boo

houndstooth said...

Our trips to the lake saved Kuster's sanity, as well as Mom and Dad's when he was on two week crate rest. It was pretty tough on him to be idle for a while, too. Hopefully you get your results back soon and you're back to chasing your tennis ball with abandon!

Bunny

houndstooth said...

Our trips to the lake saved Kuster's sanity, as well as Mom and Dad's when he was on two week crate rest. It was pretty tough on him to be idle for a while, too. Hopefully you get your results back soon and you're back to chasing your tennis ball with abandon!

Bunny

Fiona, as typed by Dr. Liz said...

Very clever, Mr. Labradork; your local cement pond is infested with short bipeds, so you fake injury so your Mom is forced to take you to the pool! Very Clever! BTW, we're quite happy to hear that you aren't green. That would have been MOST disturbing!

*kissey face*
-Fiona and Abby the Hippobottomus

Niamh said...

Poor Dexter. We are sorry that you have hurt your pee wee self. Swimming is fun though and we thought you looked very cool in your movie. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Your friends,
Niamh & Ambrose

Mitch and Molly said...

What a bummer, Dexter! Thank goodness for your swim club! We hope you can sneak into the pool next door for some fun!

Love ya lots,
Mitch and Molly

Jo's World said...

You are one tough guy, Peewee, and you can make it through the next few days, I know you can!

Cheers and feel better with the pills your Mom gives you.

Kisses,
Stella

STELLA and RORY from Down Under said...

Howdy Dexter, sheesh, you could have warned us you were swimming in the pool. Stella went stupid again and started dribbling. Dog she's an idiot.

Hope your get better real soon mate. No worries, and slobber, Rory. P.S. At least you are getting in some training for the olympics!

scotsmad said...

Oh Dexter, we hope you're all well for the Olympics and off the drugs. You're a champion.

XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

Khyra And Sometimes Her Mom said...

Oh Dexter!

I hope woo rekhover soon -

I've seen the mention of The B from DaBurgh khoming to khare fur woo -

Just Sayin'

Hugz&Khysses,
KhyraKhakes

Lorenza said...

Dexter!
I am so sorry you are in the DL!
But... you can enjoy the pool!
I hope you get better soon!
Take care
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

We're so sorry Dex is on the DL!! Hope you're better real soon little dude!

lifewithmydogs said...

How terrible! I can only imagine how you feel not being able to play tennis ball. Jock would be just as beside himself if he couldn't play with his ballie!

Reilly / Denny Cowspotdogs said...

Even super athletes get ouchies....so enjoy the rest dexter dude and come back tennis ball chomping when you are all better

Priscilla said...

You swim like a pro, Dexter! Hope you are feeling better soon and back to your tennis ball chasing on the ground instead of in the pool.

A Wonderful Dogs Life said...

Dexter Dude I'm saddened you are not feeling well. I wonder what caused your ouchie? I hope you are back to normal so you can play Tennis Ball.

Emma

KB said...

Oh Dexter. Our condolences. I hope that you feel better very soon.

But, Swim Club looks really cool. R is SO jealous. He would've loved to do that during his rest time.

Our first Lab, Astro, had to have all tennis balls removed from his life when he was about 4 years old because he had seizures whenever a tennis ball was thrown... At least you'll get your tennis balls back someday... Astro became seizure-free after we finally gave away every last tennis ball.

IRIS E DONA said...

I'm so sorry Dexter ! I hope you feel better very soon . Meanwhile enjoy the swiming pool - it looks great!
Kisses
Iris

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

Don't worry Dexter! Even if you are on the injured list (like those sports players in baseball), we still watch the baseball game to see if we see our favorite player sitting in the dugout! Hopefully Mango doesn't hog up the blog while you are on the disabled list. Can't wait to see if we see you sitting there on the sidelines until you are all better!

Moose said...

Swim club looks super fun! Master. Should build you your very own pool for times when you end up on the DL!

Honey the Great Dane said...

Oh poor Dexter!! Sorry we're SOOOOO late - we're behind as usual and only just catching up! I can totally relate to how horrible it is when you're not allowed to do things. I had to have "enforced rest & gentle exercises only" a few times when we were in Brisbane and I pulled those muscles in my back trying to climb a tree after a possum...it was no fun.

But i have to say - that swim club is a pretty good sop for not being able to do all your other usual fun activities! That looked like a really cool place - I loved your movie (although it was a LITTLE bit like watching a horror movie, what with all that water everywhere...)

Anyway, I'm happy to read in your latest post that you're feeling bouncier again - hope you'll continue recovering quickly. Great cool coat, by the way! :-)

Slobbers,
Honey the Great Dane